February 2012 LSAT Study Group

rufus&miles

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby rufus&miles » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Last edited by rufus&miles on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATDecimator

Postby LSATDecimator » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:57 pm

as I shall be satisfied with a mere 168

[/quote]PS your writing style makes me feel like I'm reading a weird Jane Austen fanfic or something. [/quote]

While I have, at times, been accused of writing at a level equal to Thoreau or Emerson, I have yet be accused of wielding a pen in a manner similar to Jane Austen. Nonetheless, I shall receive this inference as a compliment.

However, perceiving a level of negativity on this board which I no longer wish to partake of, I shall bid you all "good luck," and leave you with the wisdom which my most admirable avitar has left to all aspiring students of law:

"Always bear in mind that your resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing"

~ Abraham Lincoln

Written In response to a letter received at the White House from an aspiring law student.

Best,
LSATD

john1990

Postby john1990 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:05 pm

LSATDecimator wrote:
as I shall be satisfied with a mere 168

PS your writing style makes me feel like I'm reading a weird Jane Austen fanfic or something. [/quote]

While I have, at times, been accused of writing at a level equal to Thoreau or Emerson, I have yet be accused of wielding a pen in a manner similar to Jane Austen. Nonetheless, I shall receive this inference as a compliment.

However, perceiving a level of negativity on this board which I no longer wish to partake of, I shall bid you all "good luck," and leave you with the wisdom which my most admirable avitar has left to all aspiring students of law:

"Always bear in mind that your resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing"

~ Abraham Lincoln

Written In response to a letter received at the White House from an aspiring law student.

Best,
LSATD

with all respect, you sound like you'v been living under a rock for the last 200 years

john1990

Postby john1990 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Took a LR section and scored a 22/26 since i had to guess on the last 2 because of time, and missed both. I realised that i have been missing Q's late in sections from rushing and that even though i was completing sections i am actually on the slow side for LR :oops: go figure. I guess i will try less underlining

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:58 pm

LSATDecimator wrote:
LSATDecimator wrote:as I shall be satisfied with a mere 168

PS your writing style makes me feel like I'm reading a weird Jane Austen fanfic or something.

~ Abraham Lincoln

Best,
LSATD

Well let's not get too fond of ourselves - I said you write like "a weird Jane Austen fanfic" aka fan-written fiction to mimic the author (and falling far short), not that you "wield a pen" like Austen herself. As you study more, your reading comp will improve.

And I wasn't trying to be negative, I was joking around. You're gonna have build a thicker skin to be in law, especially with the particularly loud persona you're affecting. But with this last post you've shown that you're either a troll or pretentious all the time so I'm not too grieved by our loss, apart from the amusement you bring.

Gisney

Postby Gisney » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:11 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
outlookingin wrote:
man_utd_4l wrote:
Gisney wrote:Well guys it turns out my life as taken an unexpected turn. I will be returning stateside earlier then planned and with all that is happening and moving I will be unable to focus on the lsat so I am also postponing till June.

Good luck to all the Feb takers!

Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but when things settled down come join us in the June thread. To the rest of you guys, CRUSH THIS TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Gisney, sorry if whatever is going down isn't positive or whatever, but it'll be good to have you over in June. See you on the other side. Eich and bee, sorry if it feels like people are dropping like flies around here. You're always welcome in June too, haha

What?? NO! :lol: I will not see you in June.

But Gisney, hope all is well! And although people really are dropping like flies, I will keep on truckin.

No everything is fine. Unexpected but it may be all for the best :) Good luck all :)

law_girl1

Postby law_girl1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey guys! I'm retaking the test from dec. It'll be my 3rd time. I'm feeling kind of demotivated at this point and am just hoping to have enough energy to get through the next few weeks.

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:14 pm

LSATDecimator wrote:

~ Abraham Lincoln

Best,
LSATD

This is golden. Gonna miss you bro

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:34 pm

I just finished did PT 59 and i did surprisingly well

LG:23/23
LR:23/26
LR:25/25
RC:23/27
Raw: 94
Score=176 :mrgreen:

This is a breakthrough test and i hope i can keep this up in the future :mrgreen: but, the scale helped me some too.
I found that the first LR questions can be really rushed through and that gives me the time i need to get the later (harder) questions right. I finished the first 13 questions in about 13 minutes each time

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 am

john1990 wrote:I just finished did PT 59 and i did surprisingly well

This is a breakthrough test and i hope i can keep this up in the future :mrgreen: but, the scale helped me some too.
I found that the first LR questions can be really rushed through and that gives me the time i need to get the later (harder) questions right. I finished the first 13 questions in about 13 minutes each time

Nice job man keep it up!

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 pm

john1990 wrote:I just finished did PT 59 and i did surprisingly well

Hey hey I know this thread is pretty much dead but I just wanted to celebrate a bit, show my bright feathers, you know:

Got my breakthrough test too!!!

PT 46

RC: -1
LR1: -1
LR2: -1
LG: -0
Scaled: 178

Hell yeah... this is the first full, timed PT since I took two or three weeks off for Christmas. So yes taking time off to let your brain consolidate information and patterns DOES work.

OK all the best everyone. I'm gonna get that 180 in June and it's gonna be fucking sweet. That is all.

941law

Postby 941law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 pm

just registered and haven't studied yet.

wanted to make you guys feel better, although I took October.

Howl

Postby Howl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:06 am

Hi there! Late joiner here also gearing up for the frightful Feb LSAT. I only started studying (or even actually getting to know what LSAT is) in mid-December, so I'm more than a bit worried...actually, terrified would be a better word. Too bad I won't have time to take it in June or October.

I just took PT 34 today and it is EVIL! :evil:
RC -3
LR1 -4
LR2 -5
LG -6
Score: 166.

I got stuck on the kind of infamous Logic Game #4 and bombed it. LG is my weakest link so I wasn't too upset but RC -3 and LR combined of -9? ouchh. I usually do okay on RC and LR, so I don't know why this particular preptest was so rough. Argh. More practice it is.

thejrob

Postby thejrob » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 am

Not taking the test in Feb, took it in Oct and Dec 2011, but just wanted to wish everyone luck. Seems like you guys are workin hard.

I did a lot better in Dec, and if I can give some simple obvious advice:

1. Just be calm. The test is about logic. If you panic or worry about time too much at any time you will think less logically.

2. Practice as much as you need to get your PT scores up to what you want, how much that means is different for everyone, but honestly the most important thing you need to make sure you have down is being able to finish every section in time and confidently. Even if that does mean skipping some to go back to, or guessing on 1 or 2 that you can't get and spending more time on others, make sure that you have the time to make that decision and execute it. Not being able to do this is why a few questions or one hard section at the wrong time can lead to someone scoring far worse than PT averages and expectations...

even if that all sounds like BS, good luck

MBshine22

Postby MBshine22 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 am

Just gotta say, the security question to join this forum was ridiculous. "What is the LAST name of the longest-serving justice currently on the Supreme Court?" Ridiculous...making me do research n $hit.

Anyway, I joined the forum with the hopes that it will pick back up now that we're in the home stretch for the Feb 2012 LSAT. So, I guess I'll start with my two cents.

My advice for those of you who've been studying for a couple months prior to now: spend the rest of your time taking full-length timed practice exams (writing section at your discretion). At this point the most important thing to work on is timing, pace, and comfort level. Your capacity to answer questions correctly probably will not change drastically in the next two weeks by just working on practice problems. For most people, I believe the best way to maximize odds at improvement from now until Feb. 11 is to develop a personal pacing strategy that allows you to comfortably complete every section on time, even when you're thrown curve-ball LG's and/or RC from hell. On the other hand, if you know you will not be able to finish everything on time, create a strategy where you can recognize and answer all of the easy questions first, and then return to work on the more difficult ones afterwards. If you fall into the latter group, INCLUDE A PLAN FOR GUESSING IN YOUR PACING STRATEGY. I'm sure you know that there are no penalties for wrong answers; do yourself a favor by not leaving any questions unanswered. I took the December 2011 LSAT and cancelled my score because I lost track of time on the last logic game and ended up leaving 5 questions completely blank. When the proctor says, "pencils down" you MUST drop your pencil immediately; there's no opportunity to fill in the blanks after time is called, so if you're going to guess you must sacrifice some of your allotted 35min. Additionally, if you have to guess, always guess the same letter for every question in that section. And keep in mind that on average the correct answers are distributed evenly among the letters. So, for example, if you've only bubbled in "E" once and you're running out of time on Logic Games, you should probably guess "E" for all of the remaining questions in that section. Powerscore.com does a good job of breaking down the guesswork statistically; pay their sight a visit.

Take it from someone who's been there. Consistently getting every questions right means nothing if you're not doing it in less than 35min. This late in the game, acclimating yourself to the time constraint is most critical. You've spent countless hours learning how to solve these evil questions; don't let that go to waste as a result of poor time management. I suggest 3 full length PrepTests per week, every other day, reviewing your mistakes on days off. Use a virtual proctor that includes 5min warnings and that doesn't allow for more than 30sec of downtime between sections (except for the break after section 3). Be sure to adhere to a strict "pencils down" policy during. The closer you get to simulating the actual test conditions, the more comfortable you'll be during the actual test, and the better your actual score will be.

Lastly, in the final days before the test be extremely weary of "burnout". Those of you feeling like you're not where you want to be score-wise are especially susceptible to burnout due to the propensity to study hours-on-end in an attempt to make last-minute gains. A practice test every day is too much; work hard and rest hard. Get plenty of sleep every night. This stuff is mentally fatiguing and you want to ensure the mental gas tank is 100% full come test day. I promise, taking that PT on February 10th will do more harm than good.

Good luck everyone. I hope this advice helps.

P.S. - for those who posts here to boast about their 178, two things: your words are cheap talk and that score counts for nothing. My friend consistently scored 170+ on his practice tests, but come the real thing - 162. That 175 PT of his was basically a dream. No one will ever care about what you [claim you] scored on a PT except your parents. So keep your head down, build momentum, and make that 178 a reality before strutting around like a peacock...because until then, you're just an ugly duckling.

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am

MBshine22 wrote:Just gotta say, the security question to join this forum was ridiculous. "What is the LAST name of the longest-serving justice currently on the Supreme Court?" Ridiculous...making me do research n $hit.

Anyway, I joined the forum with the hopes that it will pick back up now that we're in the home stretch for the Feb 2012 LSAT. So, I guess I'll start with my two cents.

P.S. - for those who posts here to boast about their 178, two things: your words are cheap talk and that score counts for nothing. My friend consistently scored 170+ on his practice tests, but come the real thing - 162. That 175 PT of his was basically a dream. No one will ever care about what you [claim you] scored on a PT except your parents. So keep your head down, build momentum, and make that 178 a reality before strutting around like a peacock...because until then, you're just an ugly duckling.

Ouch dude! OK I admit it was a little uncalled for. I was just stoked... wanted to show off. Got competitive. You're right though, about this being about consistency. Stories like those about your friend are very scary (check out bernaldiaz' thread). I'm doing my best to keep it straight. Meanwhile, as you said, good luck on Feb. 11th.

MBshine22

Postby MBshine22 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

outlookingin wrote:Ouch dude! OK I admit it was a little uncalled for. I was just stoked... wanted to show off. Got competitive. You're right though, about this being about consistency. Stories like those about your friend are very scary (check out bernaldiaz' thread). I'm doing my best to keep it straight. Meanwhile, as you said, good luck on Feb. 11th.

You're right that was a bit harsh, but it's true. I had just taken the June 2009 PT and was feeling tired and serious. Doing well on PT's always feels great, but you gotta keep your perspective. After every PT I take I recall my friend's experience and it brings me right back down to earth. Humility is important; it keeps you grinding.

But by the looks of it you're not taking the LSAT until June, correct? Why is that? You can't really be scoring much higher than you are. Don't you just want to get it over with?

outlookingin

Postby outlookingin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:05 am

MBshine22 wrote:
outlookingin wrote:Ouch dude! OK I admit it was a little uncalled for. I was just stoked... wanted to show off. Got competitive. You're right though, about this being about consistency. Stories like those about your friend are very scary (check out bernaldiaz' thread). I'm doing my best to keep it straight. Meanwhile, as you said, good luck on Feb. 11th.

You're right that was a bit harsh, but it's true. I had just taken the June 2009 PT and was feeling tired and serious. Doing well on PT's always feels great, but you gotta keep your perspective. After every PT I take I recall my friend's experience and it brings me right back down to earth. Humility is important; it keeps you grinding.

But by the looks of it you're not taking the LSAT until June, correct? Why is that? You can't really be scoring much higher than you are. Don't you just want to get it over with?

You would think that. But like you I have reservations that my high PT scores would translate into a similarly high test-day score. I mean I might hit above 170 in February but man... this forum is so competitive that I am inspired to really do everything and anything I can to hit my potential. I rarely do that in life, so here's my chance! So yeah by June I want to get this thing down to a science. Good luck with your prep.

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 am

Last edited by rufus&miles on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:18 am

No new preptests but i've been hitting sections hard.
My LG has been disappointing, considering that when i was prepping for October i was getting perfect sections and now im -1 to -3
My RC has been satisfactory, ranging from -5 to -1, that's a huge improvement from my old -9 to -6 range
LR has been inconsistent, i think i'll have to do some warm ups to get a -6 for both sections combined
Shooting for a -10 on test day and hoping for a generous curve

MBshine22

Postby MBshine22 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:05 pm

rufus&miles wrote:Does anyone have any advice to how to slow yourself down during LR sections? I keep finishing these sections with 5 - 10 minutes to spare and go back to the tough questions, but I keep getting -4 or -5 per section. If I go untimed I can usually get -2 or -3 per section. Any advice would be appreciated.

Uhh yea I have advice on how to slow yourself down - read slower. You're probably more after advice on how to not get those 4 or 5 questions wrong though. In your case getting 100% on LR should definitely be do-able, since time doesn't seem to be an issue.

Firstly, review all of your past LR sections and see if there is a trend in the types of questions you miss. Usually people struggle with a certain question type; for instance I'm most likely to miss a parallel reasoning question. Identifying a particular question type you repeatedly miss is great b/c you can then spend time focusing on your weaknesses. If it turns out to be that you miss the same question types over and over, gather as many of those questions as possible and drill them, untimed. Check your answers and set aside any questions you miss. Even if you don't continuously miss a certain question type, always set aside the questions you get wrong. Then spend time tediously analyzing each question, writing out why each incorrect answer is incorrect, and why the correct answer is correct. Explaining to yourself why each answer is incorrect is absolutely essential, especially for the incorrect answer that tricked you. Do not cut corners on the explanations! Sometimes it's easy to "feel" that a particular answer choice is wrong, but you must prove it. As is with life, often you can't be sure of what you think until you put it into words. Really understanding why all of the incorrect answers are incorrect will ultimately be your ticket to 100% on LR. Most likely the careful processes of breaking down the answer choices will correct the lapses in logic that caused you to miss those questions in the first place.

Lastly, on the test and PT, I always try to push through the LR sections as fast as possible (w/o being careless). That means that I read a question, answer it, and move on. On any given question I put a slash through the answer choices I find obviously incorrect. When I hit one that seems obviously correct, I select it and move on, but i draw a vertical line to the left hand side of the answer choices below the one I selected, to indicate that I did not read those. Also, as I'm pushing through the questions, if I come across a question where I feel uneasy about the correct answer, I just go with my gut, but I also put an asterisk next to that question's number in the test booklet. That way, if I get though the section with some time to spare I can easily go revisit the answer choices I was less confident in (and I can also go read the remaining responses from questions where I drew a line). In doing this, I recommend reviewing the lowest number asterisked questions first, b/c the tend to be easier to spot a mistake in than the higher numbered ones, and you might not have time to review all of them. This strategy works for me.

Hope it helps you.
Last edited by MBshine22 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MBshine22

Postby MBshine22 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Question:

RC is my weakest section. With reading, it seems speed and comprehension are inversely correlated for me; as I increase my speed my retention drops, and vice-versa. For whatever reason I've kinda had a "f*ck it" attitude towards RC and just focused on LR and LG. Gradually the number of RC questions I miss has gone down, but I still miss about 5 on average. I have no real notation strategy and just casually underline things I feel might be important later on. Only thing I do regularly is box people's names in passages for easy reference. I noticed someone mentioned "voyager's strategy" in a previous post and looked into it. It seems like it could work. Has anyone had success with this? If so, does it require a ton of practice? I'm not a super fast reader and I'm always pressed for time on RC. I'm just debating whether it's a good idea to try to adopt a new strategy just a few weeks before the test or not. If it can get me a few more points I wanna do it, but if it requires weeks of practice it's probably better for me to just take my -5 RC and reinforce my strengths.

Appreciate any advice.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 pm

MBshine22 wrote:Question:

RC is my weakest section. With reading, it seems speed and comprehension are inversely correlated for me; as I increase my speed my retention drops, and vice-versa. For whatever reason I've kinda had a "f*ck it" attitude towards RC and just focused on LR and LG. Gradually the number of RC questions I miss has gone down, but I still miss about 5 on average. I have no real notation strategy and just casually underline things I feel might be important later on. Only thing I do regularly is box people's names in passages for easy reference. I noticed someone mentioned "voyager's strategy" in a previous post and looked into it. It seems like it could work. Has anyone had success with this? If so, does it require a ton of practice? I'm not a super fast reader and I'm always pressed for time on RC. I'm just debating whether it's a good idea to try to adopt a new strategy just a few weeks before the test or not. If it can get me a few more points I wanna do it, but if it requires weeks of practice it's probably better for me to just take my -5 RC and reinforce my strengths.

Appreciate any advice.

My 2 cents
If you haven't read the Manhattan RC book i would do that, its a short book. All i do is circle the first letter of persons names and titles. I underline key turning points, normally ill underline a max of 10 words per passage and sometimes as few as 1 or 2. You should be thinking about the main point of each paragraph as you read it and then the main purpose as a whole. Read for structure, read quickly and know where various parts of the passage are.
Personally i think targeting your weaknesses is better that hitting your strengths, you will see more in return.

rufus&miles

Postby rufus&miles » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 am

MBshine22 wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:Does anyone have any advice to how to slow yourself down during LR sections? I keep finishing these sections with 5 - 10 minutes to spare and go back to the tough questions, but I keep getting -4 or -5 per section. If I go untimed I can usually get -2 or -3 per section. Any advice would be appreciated.

Uhh yea I have advice on how to slow yourself down - read slower. You're probably more after advice on how to not get those 4 or 5 questions wrong though. In your case getting 100% on LR should definitely be do-able, since time doesn't seem to be an issue.

Firstly, review all of your past LR sections and see if there is a trend in the types of questions you miss. Usually people struggle with a certain question type; for instance I'm most likely to miss a parallel reasoning question. Identifying a particular question type you repeatedly miss is great b/c you can then spend time focusing on your weaknesses. If it turns out to be that you miss the same question types over and over, gather as many of those questions as possible and drill them, untimed. Check your answers and set aside any questions you miss. Even if you don't continuously miss a certain question type, always set aside the questions you get wrong. Then spend time tediously analyzing each question, writing out why each incorrect answer is incorrect, and why the correct answer is correct. Explaining to yourself why each answer is incorrect is absolutely essential, especially for the incorrect answer that tricked you. Do not cut corners on the explanations! Sometimes it's easy to "feel" that a particular answer choice is wrong, but you must prove it. As is with life, often you can't be sure of what you think until you put it into words. Really understanding why all of the incorrect answers are incorrect will ultimately be your ticket to 100% on LR. Most likely the careful processes of breaking down the answer choices will correct the lapses in logic that caused you to miss those questions in the first place.

Lastly, on the test and PT, I always try to push through the LR sections as fast as possible (w/o being careless). That means that I read a question, answer it, and move on. On any given question I put a slash through the answer choices I find obviously incorrect. When I hit one that seems obviously correct, I select it and move on, but i draw a vertical line to the left hand side of the answer choices below the one I selected, to indicate that I did not read those. Also, as I'm pushing through the questions, if I come across a question where I feel uneasy about the correct answer, I just go with my gut, but I also put an asterisk next to that question's number in the test booklet. That way, if I get though the section with some time to spare I can easily go revisit the answer choices I was less confident in (and I can also go read the remaining responses from questions where I drew a line). In doing this, I recommend reviewing the lowest number asterisked questions first, b/c the tend to be easier to spot a mistake in than the higher numbered ones, and you might not have time to review all of them. This strategy works for me.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks for the advice!

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:07 am

How are people doing? What's your strategy now that test day is near? I know a few of us have been around for a while. Personally, I think I'm going to ease up and trust that I've done enough. Maybe just a couple sections a day until game day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”