February 2012 LSAT Study Group

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:08 pm

outlookingin wrote:Taking PT 48 tomorrow (I'll keep an eye out for that game, Eich), as my last chance at not feeling like a total weenie. After tomorrow I'm not going to look at the LSAT until after the year turns.

Cool, if you want to discuss anything from 48 just lemme know! On that game, you should be fine so long as there isn't a woman sitting directly next to you (so many free tables, why you gotta be awkward like that?) and talking on her phone in Chinese. And I was doing so well...yea, I'm still bitter. :lol: And tomorrow begins my "Christmas break" as well. There shall be sightseeing, cookies and cupcake making, and Christmas movies a'plenty. Back in the day I was have recoiled at the idea of a break, thinking I was immune to burnout. Hah. Let us not forget to take time for the following:

Image
Image
Image

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby 062914123 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:55 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdegoli1
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby bdegoli1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Welcome to TLS bdegoli1! (Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate :wink: )

How long did it take you to get from the low 170s to the upper? I'm hoping I have enough time to get there before the big day. Any suggestions (especially if LG was your weakness)? And I'll +1 TLS1776. Dude's crazy.


C'è sempre speranza! First, to state the obvious, group LG by type and attack the ones that give you trouble. The only downside of this is that you end up going through games that you'll see on PTs, and you don't want to already know the games too well once you're taking the PT, as it'll skew both your method and your score. (2) When you're drilling LG, do a section timed and then go through and retake it untimed. This is also a good strategy for PTing if you can do it without getting burned out. (3) If you've gone through the LGB, go through it again. (4) Once you've gone through it twice, buy a copy of Nova's Master the LSAT and go through the LG section. AS TLS1776 aptly points out, Master the LSAT's hypo-centric approach to LG is the yin to the LGB's yang. Learning how to incorporate hypos into your setups is critical. (5) Get your hands on a copy of Ace the LSAT Logic Games for additional practice.

For RC, I'd recommend the Bible--a lot of people claim it isn't as good as the other two bibles, but I found it to be incredibly useful. If you're missing one or two points on RC sections, this could help you round them out. Any other questions feel free to ask. Buona fortuna!

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:38 pm

bdegoli1 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Welcome to TLS bdegoli1! (Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate :wink: )

How long did it take you to get from the low 170s to the upper? I'm hoping I have enough time to get there before the big day. Any suggestions (especially if LG was your weakness)? And I'll +1 TLS1776. Dude's crazy.


C'è sempre speranza! First, to state the obvious, group LG by type and attack the ones that give you trouble. The only downside of this is that you end up going through games that you'll see on PTs, and you don't want to already know the games too well once you're taking the PT, as it'll skew both your method and your score. (2) When you're drilling LG, do a section timed and then go through and retake it untimed. This is also a good strategy for PTing if you can do it without getting burned out. (3) If you've gone through the LGB, go through it again. (4) Once you've gone through it twice, buy a copy of Nova's Master the LSAT and go through the LG section. AS TLS1776 aptly points out, Master the LSAT's hypo-centric approach to LG is the yin to the LGB's yang. Learning how to incorporate hypos into your setups is critical. (5) Get your hands on a copy of Ace the LSAT Logic Games for additional practice.

For RC, I'd recommend the Bible--a lot of people claim it isn't as good as the other two bibles, but I found it to be incredibly useful. If you're missing one or two points on RC sections, this could help you round them out. Any other questions feel free to ask. Buona fortuna!

Thanks! I've done PPike's LG method (3 copies of each game sorted by type from pre-40 PTs to avoid spoiling) and did the LGB 2 times. I'd also suggest Manhattan's LG book. I think it's realllly great for taking it to the next level. I haven't tried Master the LSAT, but I have Ace's book, which I intend to start soon. My last PT's -9 LG was a flashback to months ago when that was a very regular occurrence, but luckily I've gotten much better. Sorry - I should've been clearer though! I was wondering how long it took you to get from the 170-173 range (where I am now) to the 178+ range. Any tips on tightening things up in all sections for a regularly near-perfect score? I'm definitely going to start hitting games hard again using the methods you've described, because even with ridiculous distractions, a -9 LG is quite scary! With a combined -2 in all the other sections, it bumped me down to a 168 alone. :( After doing well in games for a while now, I hoped the battle had been won.

I didn't find the PS RC book particularly helpful, but I must admit, I gave it only a very cursory thumb-through like 6 months ago. At that point, my RC average was a -2.5 without any RC prep and my LG average was awful, so I wasn't giving RC any attention (I still haven't though :oops: ). I got the Manhattan RC book though to reinforce my RC sometime soon.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby willwash » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
bdegoli1 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Welcome to TLS bdegoli1! (Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate :wink: )

How long did it take you to get from the low 170s to the upper? I'm hoping I have enough time to get there before the big day. Any suggestions (especially if LG was your weakness)? And I'll +1 TLS1776. Dude's crazy.


C'è sempre speranza! First, to state the obvious, group LG by type and attack the ones that give you trouble. The only downside of this is that you end up going through games that you'll see on PTs, and you don't want to already know the games too well once you're taking the PT, as it'll skew both your method and your score. (2) When you're drilling LG, do a section timed and then go through and retake it untimed. This is also a good strategy for PTing if you can do it without getting burned out. (3) If you've gone through the LGB, go through it again. (4) Once you've gone through it twice, buy a copy of Nova's Master the LSAT and go through the LG section. AS TLS1776 aptly points out, Master the LSAT's hypo-centric approach to LG is the yin to the LGB's yang. Learning how to incorporate hypos into your setups is critical. (5) Get your hands on a copy of Ace the LSAT Logic Games for additional practice.

For RC, I'd recommend the Bible--a lot of people claim it isn't as good as the other two bibles, but I found it to be incredibly useful. If you're missing one or two points on RC sections, this could help you round them out. Any other questions feel free to ask. Buona fortuna!

Thanks! I've done PPike's LG method (3 copies of each game sorted by type from pre-40 PTs to avoid spoiling) and did the LGB 2 times. I'd also suggest Manhattan's LG book. I think it's realllly great for taking it to the next level. I haven't tried Master the LSAT, but I have Ace's book, which I intend to start soon. My last PT's -9 LG was a flashback to months ago when that was a very regular occurrence, but luckily I've gotten much better. Sorry - I should've been clearer though! I was wondering how long it took you to get from the 170-173 range (where I am now) to the 178+ range. Any tips on tightening things up in all sections for a regularly near-perfect score? I'm definitely going to start hitting games hard again using the methods you've described, because even with ridiculous distractions, a -9 LG is quite scary! With a combined -2 in all the other sections, it bumped me down to a 168 alone. :( After doing well in games for a while now, I hoped the battle had been won.

I didn't find the PS RC book particularly helpful, but I must admit, I gave it only a very cursory thumb-through like 6 months ago. At that point, my RC average was a -2.5 without any RC prep and my LG average was awful, so I wasn't giving RC any attention (I still haven't though :oops: ). I got the Manhattan RC book though to reinforce my RC sometime soon.


Don't sweat that -9. You obviously had some extenuating circumstances. Have you tried any of those free Manhattan LSAT games?

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:21 pm

willwash wrote:Don't sweat that -9. You obviously had some extenuating circumstances. Have you tried any of those free Manhattan LSAT games?

Thanks, I'll try not to worry too much. I've just seen numbers like that too often in the past so it did put a bit of a scare into me haha. I've done two of the MLSAT LG, but I forgot about them. Was it you that brought them up? If so, thanks! I plan on printing a bunch and doing them.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Gisney » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
outlookingin wrote:Taking PT 48 tomorrow (I'll keep an eye out for that game, Eich), as my last chance at not feeling like a total weenie. After tomorrow I'm not going to look at the LSAT until after the year turns.

Cool, if you want to discuss anything from 48 just lemme know! On that game, you should be fine so long as there isn't a woman sitting directly next to you (so many free tables, why you gotta be awkward like that?) and talking on her phone in Chinese. And I was doing so well...yea, I'm still bitter. :lol: And tomorrow begins my "Christmas break" as well. There shall be sightseeing, cookies and cupcake making, and Christmas movies a'plenty. Back in the day I was have recoiled at the idea of a break, thinking I was immune to burnout. Hah. Let us not forget to take time for the following:

Image
Image
Image


Can someone send me any of this? Need some Christmas spirit.

Bleh just sad because it is my second Christmas with no family and it seems like everyone else went home. But its okay because when I Pt a 180 tomorrow it will feel like Christmas :)

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Gisney wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Image
Image
Image


Can someone send me any of this? Need some Christmas spirit.

Bleh just sad because it is my second Christmas with no family and it seems like everyone else went home. But its okay because when I Pt a 180 tomorrow it will feel like Christmas :)

Haha I did actually send a TLSer a Christmas baked goods package earlier this week. Shoulda asked sooner! :wink:

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Gisney » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Gisney wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Image
Image
Image


Can someone send me any of this? Need some Christmas spirit.

Bleh just sad because it is my second Christmas with no family and it seems like everyone else went home. But its okay because when I Pt a 180 tomorrow it will feel like Christmas :)

Haha I did actually send a TLSer a Christmas baked goods package earlier this week. Shoulda asked sooner! :wink:


Well mierda. Lol but it would not have ever made it here and it costs about $80 to send me a package. I will just stare at the pictures and wait till my visit home in Feb for sweets. My grandmother has promised me homade banana puddin :)

bdegoli1
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby bdegoli1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:32 am

Eichörnchen wrote:
bdegoli1 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Welcome to TLS bdegoli1! (Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate :wink: )

How long did it take you to get from the low 170s to the upper? I'm hoping I have enough time to get there before the big day. Any suggestions (especially if LG was your weakness)? And I'll +1 TLS1776. Dude's crazy.


C'è sempre speranza! First, to state the obvious, group LG by type and attack the ones that give you trouble. The only downside of this is that you end up going through games that you'll see on PTs, and you don't want to already know the games too well once you're taking the PT, as it'll skew both your method and your score. (2) When you're drilling LG, do a section timed and then go through and retake it untimed. This is also a good strategy for PTing if you can do it without getting burned out. (3) If you've gone through the LGB, go through it again. (4) Once you've gone through it twice, buy a copy of Nova's Master the LSAT and go through the LG section. AS TLS1776 aptly points out, Master the LSAT's hypo-centric approach to LG is the yin to the LGB's yang. Learning how to incorporate hypos into your setups is critical. (5) Get your hands on a copy of Ace the LSAT Logic Games for additional practice.

For RC, I'd recommend the Bible--a lot of people claim it isn't as good as the other two bibles, but I found it to be incredibly useful. If you're missing one or two points on RC sections, this could help you round them out. Any other questions feel free to ask. Buona fortuna!

Thanks! I've done PPike's LG method (3 copies of each game sorted by type from pre-40 PTs to avoid spoiling) and did the LGB 2 times. I'd also suggest Manhattan's LG book. I think it's realllly great for taking it to the next level. I haven't tried Master the LSAT, but I have Ace's book, which I intend to start soon. My last PT's -9 LG was a flashback to months ago when that was a very regular occurrence, but luckily I've gotten much better. Sorry - I should've been clearer though! I was wondering how long it took you to get from the 170-173 range (where I am now) to the 178+ range. Any tips on tightening things up in all sections for a regularly near-perfect score? I'm definitely going to start hitting games hard again using the methods you've described, because even with ridiculous distractions, a -9 LG is quite scary! With a combined -2 in all the other sections, it bumped me down to a 168 alone. :( After doing well in games for a while now, I hoped the battle had been won.

I didn't find the PS RC book particularly helpful, but I must admit, I gave it only a very cursory thumb-through like 6 months ago. At that point, my RC average was a -2.5 without any RC prep and my LG average was awful, so I wasn't giving RC any attention (I still haven't though :oops: ). I got the Manhattan RC book though to reinforce my RC sometime soon.


Got it. I think the best thing you can do to move from low 170s to high 170s is to really focus on what you're getting wrong and why. It's easy to slip into a mode where all you do is take PTs and not really focus your attention on why you're missing the problems you're missing. This is why going through and taking a PT twice in one sitting, once timed and once untimed, is useful, because if you miss a question untimed, you know it's a conceptual problem that you need to overcome. If you have particularly problematic games or RC passages, write down the game/passage number and take them again a week or two later. Same with LR--set aside every LR that you got wrong, especially ones that you had a lot of trouble on. Try to really isolate the game/passage/LR question types you're getting wrong and figure out why you're getting them wrong. I think doing this, especially for LR, is what bumped me up. Good luck!

User avatar
outlookingin
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby outlookingin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:20 am

Alright well I feel better today after PT 48.

LR1: -1
RC: -0
LG: -1
LR2: -3

Raw: 96
Scaled: 174

Don't know what happened with that last LR section, and I won't know for a while because now IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!! Gonna go buy a tree after I post this.

So yeah I'm gonna keep on prepping and planning on February. I can do this... I can do this...

All the best everyone, and have a a great holiday.

p.s. - bdegoli thanks for contributing to the thread. You're inspiring me. I was beginning to think that TLS1776 was something like a demigod without living, breathing peers. I mean I know Dave Hall contributes to this forum a lot, and so do other high-scorers, but still. You're on OUR thread!!

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby willwash » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:22 am

outlookingin wrote:Alright well I feel better today after PT 48.

LR1: -1
RC: -0
LG: -1
LR2: -3

Raw: 96
Scaled: 174

Don't know what happened with that last LR section, and I won't know for a while because now IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!! Gonna go buy a tree after I post this.

So yeah I'm gonna keep on prepping and planning on February. I can do this... I can do this...

All the best everyone, and have a a great holiday.

p.s. - bdegoli thanks for contributing to the thread. You're inspiring me. I was beginning to think that TLS1776 was something like a demigod without living, breathing peers. I mean I know Dave Hall contributes to this forum a lot, and so do other high-scorers, but still. You're on OUR thread!!


Nice work outlookingin but Haysoos PT 48 must have a brutal curve. -5 total and only a 174? Still, you did a lot better than I did last night. LG drills x 3. -7, -5, and -2. Those first two games included the infamous snakes and lizards as well as oils and watercolors. Fuck. I had gotten cocky about my improvement in LG, Eich. I went like 10 LG in a row at -2 or better. Between that and 2 PTs in a row solidly in the 170s I think I've let myguard down a little bit. You can't do that.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Gisney » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 pm

willwash wrote:
outlookingin wrote:Alright well I feel better today after PT 48.

LR1: -1
RC: -0
LG: -1
LR2: -3

Raw: 96
Scaled: 174

Don't know what happened with that last LR section, and I won't know for a while because now IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME!! Gonna go buy a tree after I post this.

So yeah I'm gonna keep on prepping and planning on February. I can do this... I can do this...

All the best everyone, and have a a great holiday.

p.s. - bdegoli thanks for contributing to the thread. You're inspiring me. I was beginning to think that TLS1776 was something like a demigod without living, breathing peers. I mean I know Dave Hall contributes to this forum a lot, and so do other high-scorers, but still. You're on OUR thread!!


Nice work outlookingin but Haysoos PT 48 must have a brutal curve. -5 total and only a 174? Still, you did a lot better than I did last night. LG drills x 3. -7, -5, and -2. Those first two games included the infamous snakes and lizards as well as oils and watercolors. Fuck. I had gotten cocky about my improvement in LG, Eich. I went like 10 LG in a row at -2 or better. Between that and 2 PTs in a row solidly in the 170s I think I've let myguard down a little bit. You can't do that.


Awesome job outlook! Willwash is right about the tough curve though. Here is hoping for a -11 or -12 for Feb 2012!

Sounds like your drop in drill scores willwash is because you were taking some of the harder games. Hopefully we won't get some curve ball like that in Feb. Although not to put you or Eich out but I would rather have a LG curveball then a brutal RC.

In other news, this is the first time I have looked at this site in awhile on a regular computer and not my kindle which is really small and black and white. I thought outlook's avatar was two glowing trash bags lol.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Gisney » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Also those cupcakes look even more amazing in color!

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5689
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Easy-E » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Sooo how many October re-takers do we have in here?
How did you guys do, and what are you shooting for this February?
Are you reviewing your previous study methods/materials, or taking a new approach?

As for me 161 here hoping to get over 170, using Velocity this go.

User avatar
NoleMatt
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby NoleMatt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:07 pm

After starting out well with self studying (LG and LR bibles), I sort of hit a wall and was frustrating myself more than I was learning. :?

I start my Testmaster course Jan. 3 and am pretty excited about it. It hurt the bank account but it seems like it's a good course and offers a lot of materials. Its the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 6 - 10 pm class with diagnostics on the weekend. Have any of you taken this class?

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby 062914123 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:18 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Gisney » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 pm

So frustrated with myself..

Took PT 52

LG exp -2
LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -6 (what?!)
RC: -3
Nerds what is with me always effing up on one section. Even when I do decent on RC something else goes wrong.

This break for christmas is at a good time cause I need to clear my head and get rid of the mental finger I am shooting at the LSAT

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Gisney » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Gisney wrote:So frustrated with myself..

Took PT 52

LG exp -2
LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -6 (what?!)
RC: -3
Nerds what is with me always effing up on one section. Even when I do decent on RC something else goes wrong.

This break for christmas is at a good time cause I need to clear my head and get rid of the mental finger I am shooting at the LSAT


Raw 90
Scaled 171

swordsman1
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby swordsman1 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:12 am

Are we all doing LG sections this late at night? My brain in the past has protested the most against late night LGs.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby willwash » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 am

Gisney wrote:So frustrated with myself..

Took PT 52

LG exp -2
LR1 -1
LG -0
LR2 -6 (what?!)
RC: -3
Nerds what is with me always effing up on one section. Even when I do decent on RC something else goes wrong.

This break for christmas is at a good time cause I need to clear my head and get rid of the mental finger I am shooting at the LSAT


Looking back on my PT 52 from the other week, I remember that second LR being tricky. I got -2 on it, but I think there was at least one lucky guess, because I had a bunch of the questions starred. I'll grab my answer sheet here in a few, but right now I am sipping a well-deserved long island after some tough LG drills, 2 x -4 (I've moved into the early 90's LG range for some new variety, and oh boy is there variety when you're taking PT TWO and THREE; those games are just bizarre) and a study sesh with Manhattan LSAT's LR Strategy guide.
I remember that PT 52 was the one that pissed me off b/c I got -0 on RC, saw that there were 27 questions (more precisely, that I had answers bubbled up to number 27) and without giving it a second thought gave myself 27 raw points for the section, scored myself, and saw that beautiful 176 which was, quite literally, too good to be true. An item removed from scoring means there are only 26 possible CRs in the section. Make sure you don't make that same mistake...your -3 in RC means you get 23 points for the section towards your raw, not 24. Believe me, I know, that oversight brought me down from 176 to 174.

As far as one section being difficult, I think it's intentional on the part of the testmakers. Just as each section is broken into the easy, medium, hard, and 170+ difficulty level questions, the sections are also designed to generate a bell curve. I've found that every PT I do noticeably worse on one section. On PT 52 as mentioned I think I had some lucky guesses for the -2, but I do note that it was way more difficult than the first LR. Another case in point, my last PT (forget which one), I got -4 on RC and crushed everything else. I NEVER do that badly on RC...usually I get -2 or better. It's all about the bell curve. It's why I've incorporated Kaplan 180 into my study plan. A drill out of Kaplan 180 is a drill consisting entirely of 170+ level material.
Last edited by willwash on Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fips tedora
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby fips tedora » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 am

swordsman1 wrote:Are we all doing LG sections this late at night? My brain in the past has protested the most against late night LGs.


Haha yeah I am. I just finished a grouping game and went -2 with 2 minutes left to finish and made stupid mistakes. The worst I've done so far on all of them (every LG in 29-38) is -4 (stupid bird watching game) FACT: Don't rush! You got more time than you think but less than you want!

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby willwash » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:46 am

MTH2 wrote:
swordsman1 wrote:Are we all doing LG sections this late at night? My brain in the past has protested the most against late night LGs.


Haha yeah I am. I just finished a grouping game and went -2 with 2 minutes left to finish and made stupid mistakes. The worst I've done so far on all of them (every LG in 29-38) is -4 (stupid bird watching game) FACT: Don't rush! You got more time than you think but less than you want!


This. Every time I review my mistakes on LG (self-confessed LG idiot here), I find that when I stop timing myself, calm the fuck down, and review the games I screwed up, I'm able to identify TCR in a matter of seconds. I just can't do it under timed conditions. It's all nerves. That's why I'm drilling the hell out of LG, and yes, I've been drilling LG tonight per my prior post :lol:

swordsman1
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby swordsman1 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:22 am

willwash wrote:
MTH2 wrote:
swordsman1 wrote:Are we all doing LG sections this late at night? My brain in the past has protested the most against late night LGs.


Haha yeah I am. I just finished a grouping game and went -2 with 2 minutes left to finish and made stupid mistakes. The worst I've done so far on all of them (every LG in 29-38) is -4 (stupid bird watching game) FACT: Don't rush! You got more time than you think but less than you want!


This. Every time I review my mistakes on LG (self-confessed LG idiot here), I find that when I stop timing myself, calm the fuck down, and review the games I screwed up, I'm able to identify TCR in a matter of seconds. I just can't do it under timed conditions. It's all nerves. That's why I'm drilling the hell out of LG, and yes, I've been drilling LG tonight per my prior post :lol:


Just got done analyzing an LR section from PT14, -3...good grief! LG PT15 now!

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:13 pm

bdegoli1 wrote:Got it. I think the best thing you can do to move from low 170s to high 170s is to really focus on what you're getting wrong and why. It's easy to slip into a mode where all you do is take PTs and not really focus your attention on why you're missing the problems you're missing. This is why going through and taking a PT twice in one sitting, once timed and once untimed, is useful, because if you miss a question untimed, you know it's a conceptual problem that you need to overcome. If you have particularly problematic games or RC passages, write down the game/passage number and take them again a week or two later. Same with LR--set aside every LR that you got wrong, especially ones that you had a lot of trouble on. Try to really isolate the game/passage/LR question types you're getting wrong and figure out why you're getting them wrong. I think doing this, especially for LR, is what bumped me up. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. I have to agree, I can feel myself getting the attitude of -1 LR being "Cool, got 'em all right except this here, which was wrong because of X" and then I move on. I need to take that -1 seriously, and consider why I picked an incorrect answer because I could repeat that on test day which is not OK. It's silly and surprising to feel complacent at this point, especially considering I need to improve a lot to be happy with my score, and it's only going to get tougher to improve as I go from this point.
What I should act like:
--ImageRemoved--

willwash wrote:I had gotten cocky about my improvement in LG, Eich. I went like 10 LG in a row at -2 or better. Between that and 2 PTs in a row solidly in the 170s I think I've let myguard down a little bit. You can't do that.

I did too. I have to remember not to ever get complacent. LG has the ability to kill me, and this must be remembered. :?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, clueless801, jagerbom79, MSNbot Media and 11 guests