February 2012 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ngogirl

Bronze

Re: February 2012 LSAT Study Group

Post by ngogirl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:26 pm

naillsat wrote:what is the MBT drilling you guys are talking about? is it some kind of categorized LR book? If so, where can I buy it? thanks
it's the cambridge lsat lr bundle found on http://www.cambridgelsat.com

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 pm

ngogirl wrote:Hi guys,

December retaker here. I purchased the Cambridge LR bundle and have a cutefile online printer which converts the files into pdf's for me. Unfortunately, half of the files are 1/4 or not even half of the problems that I need.

Did other people convert these into PDF's or print straight from the printer? Please let me know what you did...

Thanks!!
Never mind. Problem taken care of!!!! :P

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:08 am

SON OF BITCH!

PT 63 tonight. 168. So my trend is now:

PT 61 on 11/6=161
PT 64 on 11/9=168 (yes)
PT 62 on 11/27=169 (yes!)
PT 63 on 12/3=168 (WTF!?!?)

Overall, much better performance on LG (-3 vs -8 last time), slightly better on RC (-2 tonight vs -3 last PT), and significantly worse on LR (-8 total tonight versus -4 total last time).

I knew I had done so much better on LG as soon as I finished the section, and assumed I'd done equally well on the other sections, so I was fully expecting a 170-plus score tonight. I actually did get a higher raw score (-13 total versus -15 last time) but the curve on PT 63 is a very unforgiving 11.

Gotta start drilling LR now. Watch my LG plummet on my next PT. At least my RC is consistently pretty solid.

I think my plan for this week will be 2 section drills daily of either LR or LG (I'm leaving RC well enough alone!) until Wednesday, refry a whole PT on Wed, more drills rest of week, and PT 60 next weekend. Hoping for that coveted 170 next Sunday!

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:05 pm

ngogirl wrote:
naillsat wrote:what is the MBT drilling you guys are talking about? is it some kind of categorized LR book? If so, where can I buy it? thanks
it's the cambridge lsat lr bundle found on http://www.cambridgelsat.com
Alternatively, and I actually just recently found this out, you could use Kaplan Mastery. I was trying to get the Cambridge set but after looking at K. Mastery I don't know what the difference is. And by the way drilling problems by type has been EXTREMELY helpful, though that may seem like a no-brainer to most of you. I just re-read half of the LRB and did all of Kaplan Mastery, and already I feel a lot stronger with LR. Hoping to see it translate into solid score improvements as I return to PTing later on this week!!

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:11 pm

bee wrote:
willwash wrote:Good lord the horror stories coming from the December takers are awful. So many people talking about cancelling. I won't have the option to cancel as I'm going on deployment in March and not coming back until mid October, by which point my apps will all be in already.
To be fair, people panic like this after every testing. Take it all with a grain of salt :)
OK good, I suspected that as well. Because all of a sudden this board has EXPLODED. Some people are shitting big painful bricks out there. Here's my personal theory (although it is, of course, unwarranted and lacking in supporting evidence): the people who walked away from Dec. feeling like they wrecked it don't need to come back and post. They already know. When I walk out of that room on February, I very fucking much expect to never look at this LSAT stuff ever again.

Even as I wrote that I knew it was a lie, because I will always love the LSAT. Today I actually smiled and got a rush when I started drilling some games.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:14 pm

willwash wrote:SON OF BITCH!

PT 63 tonight. 168. So my trend is now:

PT 61 on 11/6=161
PT 64 on 11/9=168 (yes)
PT 62 on 11/27=169 (yes!)
PT 63 on 12/3=168 (WTF!?!?)

Overall, much better performance on LG (-3 vs -8 last time), slightly better on RC (-2 tonight vs -3 last PT), and significantly worse on LR (-8 total tonight versus -4 total last time).

I knew I had done so much better on LG as soon as I finished the section, and assumed I'd done equally well on the other sections, so I was fully expecting a 170-plus score tonight. I actually did get a higher raw score (-13 total versus -15 last time) but the curve on PT 63 is a very unforgiving 11.

Gotta start drilling LR now. Watch my LG plummet on my next PT. At least my RC is consistently pretty solid.

I think my plan for this week will be 2 section drills daily of either LR or LG (I'm leaving RC well enough alone!) until Wednesday, refry a whole PT on Wed, more drills rest of week, and PT 60 next weekend. Hoping for that coveted 170 next Sunday!

Hit that drill-by-type stuff, it's brilliant I swear. I mean I haven't actually seen improvement yet, so maybe take my word with a grain of salt, but I got the idea to do it from everyone else on this thread. But I feeel stronger!

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Hey guys, been lurking ever since the December 3rd LSAT, yikes, definitely didn't go as well as I had hoped... damn RC. So I had been PT'ing around 161-163 consistently, but knew I could do better. I wasn't going over any of my PT's and pretty much took the quantity over quality approach, looking back on this really pisses me off at how dumb my study methods were. With that being said, I had scored a 170, a couple 167's so I know I have the capability, just need to refine a couple of things. First, I am already very comfortable with games. I am almost positive I missed 0 on the December 2011 LSAT, I will continue to go over them because honestly maintaining that -0 is key. However, I am terrible at RC, in fact, I guessed on the entire last passage... this being the main reason why I am going to retake in Feb. I still want to improve on LR, I had felt like I was getting better, averaging -2/-4, but than things started to get worse and was more around a -6 average (per section).

Okay, so with all that being said, I know I can be ready in time for the February test and hit my goal (166). I just ordered the next 10 LSAT (51-60), I plan on going over these ones multiple times, especially since I have already done them. I really need to just eliminate mistakes and focus on developing a technique like I did for LG. So, any suggestions would be great. I also ordered the Powerscore RCB, I know a lot of people say it isn't worth it, but honestly, I just need to work on some RC techniques (gonna be trying voyagers method) and really master it instead of my previous strategy (hope that im interested in the passage and therefore can keep my attention...).

Specifically, advise on how to work on LR? I've got 12 old tests I'll be reviewing, actually writing out why answers are right and wrong. Do you guys think a big drill book sorted by question type, such as cambridges would be a good idea? Thanks a lot guys, and good luck in February!

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 pm

bee wrote:
outlookingin wrote:
bee wrote:
willwash wrote:Good lord the horror stories coming from the December takers are awful. So many people talking about cancelling. I won't have the option to cancel as I'm going on deployment in March and not coming back until mid October, by which point my apps will all be in already.
To be fair, people panic like this after every testing. Take it all with a grain of salt :)
OK good, I suspected that as well. Because all of a sudden this board has EXPLODED. Some people are shitting big painful bricks out there. Here's my personal theory (although it is, of course, unwarranted and lacking in supporting evidence): the people who walked away from Dec. feeling like they wrecked it don't need to come back and post. They already know. When I walk out of that room on February, I very fucking much expect to never look at this LSAT stuff ever again.

Even as I wrote that I knew it was a lie, because I will always love the LSAT. Today I actually smiled and got a rush when I started drilling some games.
I mean, I think the type of people who would participate on an online LSAT board regularly--i.e. slightly neurotic, studious, etc.--are also the type of people who would freak out after every standardized test, no matter how well they really did... I know I would :D

I've also been lurking on here for years and years... this happens after every testing :D
Word. Since you've been here for years, do you know how well TLSers tend to fair AFTER the LSAT? I mean are there any that keep on posting throughout law school and maybe even beyond?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 pm

princeR wrote:Hey guys, been lurking ever since the December 3rd LSAT, yikes, definitely didn't go as well as I had hoped... damn RC. So I had been PT'ing around 161-163 consistently, but knew I could do better. I wasn't going over any of my PT's and pretty much took the quantity over quality approach, looking back on this really pisses me off at how dumb my study methods were. With that being said, I had scored a 170, a couple 167's so I know I have the capability, just need to refine a couple of things. First, I am already very comfortable with games. I am almost positive I missed 0 on the December 2011 LSAT, I will continue to go over them because honestly maintaining that -0 is key. However, I am terrible at RC, in fact, I guessed on the entire last passage... this being the main reason why I am going to retake in Feb. I still want to improve on LR, I had felt like I was getting better, averaging -2/-4, but than things started to get worse and was more around a -6 average (per section).

Okay, so with all that being said, I know I can be ready in time for the February test and hit my goal (166). I just ordered the next 10 LSAT (51-60), I plan on going over these ones multiple times, especially since I have already done them. I really need to just eliminate mistakes and focus on developing a technique like I did for LG. So, any suggestions would be great. I also ordered the Powerscore RCB, I know a lot of people say it isn't worth it, but honestly, I just need to work on some RC techniques (gonna be trying voyagers method) and really master it instead of my previous strategy (hope that im interested in the passage and therefore can keep my attention...).

Specifically, advise on how to work on LR? I've got 12 old tests I'll be reviewing, actually writing out why answers are right and wrong. Do you guys think a big drill book sorted by question type, such as cambridges would be a good idea? Thanks a lot guys, and good luck in February!
Sounds like you've got your head straight. Definitely get one of those drill books. I mean I just said that on this thread like 5 times so I guess you already had my opinion, haha--but seriously, do it.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:24 pm

princeR wrote:Hey guys, been lurking ever since the December 3rd LSAT, yikes, definitely didn't go as well as I had hoped... damn RC. So I had been PT'ing around 161-163 consistently, but knew I could do better. I wasn't going over any of my PT's and pretty much took the quantity over quality approach, looking back on this really pisses me off at how dumb my study methods were. With that being said, I had scored a 170, a couple 167's so I know I have the capability, just need to refine a couple of things. First, I am already very comfortable with games. I am almost positive I missed 0 on the December 2011 LSAT, I will continue to go over them because honestly maintaining that -0 is key. However, I am terrible at RC, in fact, I guessed on the entire last passage... this being the main reason why I am going to retake in Feb. I still want to improve on LR, I had felt like I was getting better, averaging -2/-4, but than things started to get worse and was more around a -6 average (per section).

What I'm planning on doing is redoing all the questions I missed thoroughly until I get them right, understand why the right answer is right, and why the wrong answers are wrong.

swordsman1

New

Post by swordsman1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:18 pm

I keep messing up the grouping games. The fact that there are more combinations possible compared to the linear games is just screwing me up.

Any advice?

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am

Just to confirm, no one has any difficulty maintaining LR domination moving from the Cambridge drill to the more recent PT's? I'm just asking to ease my nerves before I buy them (they are preptests 1-38, probably gonna get vol 2 which is 21-40).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:59 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 am

princeR wrote:Just to confirm, no one has any difficulty maintaining LR domination moving from the Cambridge drill to the more recent PT's? I'm just asking to ease my nerves before I buy them (they are preptests 1-38, probably gonna get vol 2 which is 21-40).
Doesn't matter, I'm impatient and went ahead and bought them, seemed to be getting good reviews for this type of training, went ahead and got the RC as well. So, when I go to download them it brings up the page and it says "Instructions: Use the controls below to scroll through and print the book's pages". Well, I don't see any controls... below that it has the title of the product in bold, but than its just a blank page.

EDIT: Of course, need to set it to open with adobe haha, of course.

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Checking in... I was all set to go for December, but deployment-drama came up and I'm crossing my fingers for February. At this point, I just want the test to be done. :|

cany

New

Post by cany » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 pm

ngogirl wrote:
it's the Cambridge LSAT LR bundle found on http://www.cambridgelsat.com
I got this bundle last week.Its around 300+ pages..and somehow it won't show the document after multiple attempts of viewing/opening.may be I missed the instructions.. :x

I would like to team up and finish this bundle.May be reading the question type chapter from the bible and doing the set of questions from Cambridge guide.

Anybody..anybody..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

outlookingin

Bronze

Post by outlookingin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:37 pm

cany wrote:
ngogirl wrote:
I got this bundle last week.Its around 300+ pages..and somehow it won't show the document after multiple attempts of viewing/opening.may be I missed the instructions.. :x

I would like to team up and finish this bundle.May be reading the question type chapter from the bible and doing the set of questions from Cambridge guide.

Anybody..anybody..

Your strategy sounds good, but I don't understand what you mean by "team up."

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 pm

Okay, so I have 12 old PT's that I wanna go over, but what I'm concerned about is how exactly do I do this? It has been a while (month ago-5 days ago) that I did these tests, so I can't really get back into my exact mindset at the time. Thus, should I just simply go through the LR's, writing down why the answers are right? Not really sure how I go about using these old tests. I have another copy of them coming in the mail, so I suppose this time around I could make multiple copies BEFORE I write in them and go through them a couple times. I guess I'm trying to ask, how should I use these old PT's to study if I don't have extra copies of them?

cany

New

Post by cany » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm

outlookingin wrote:
cany wrote:
ngogirl wrote:

Anybody..anybody..

Team Up-

-Few ppl connect through TLS make a schedule and set target for LR Cambridge bundle completion.
-Discuss questions and interesting inferences.
-Motivate each other.
-report score ( question type vise).

:roll:

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 pm

cany wrote:
Team Up-

-Few ppl connect through TLS make a schedule and set target for LR Cambridge bundle completion.
-Motivate each other.

I'm totally down for this!! Manhattan LSAT Noah can set us up with an Elluminate room where we can meet through chat, microphone, chalkboard!! It's an online space!

He did it for December, we reviewed tests, reading comp, logic games, and LR.

Would people be interested in reviewing preptests also?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ngogirl

Bronze

Post by ngogirl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

princeR wrote:Okay, so I have 12 old PT's that I wanna go over, but what I'm concerned about is how exactly do I do this? It has been a while (month ago-5 days ago) that I did these tests, so I can't really get back into my exact mindset at the time. Thus, should I just simply go through the LR's, writing down why the answers are right? Not really sure how I go about using these old tests. I have another copy of them coming in the mail, so I suppose this time around I could make multiple copies BEFORE I write in them and go through them a couple times. I guess I'm trying to ask, how should I use these old PT's to study if I don't have extra copies of them?
I usually review preptests the day after I take them. What I do is go over questions I got wrong and confused on: why the correct answer was right and each incorrect answer was wrong. If you look at the June 2012 thread crumpetsandtea recently posted a really good way of reviewing preptests.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:36 pm

outlookingin wrote:
cany wrote:
ngogirl wrote:

Anybody..anybody..

Team Up-

-Motivate each other.

I've kind of been doing that with my PT scores, though I could go into more detail about question types etc

lhess218

New

Post by lhess218 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:19 pm

ngogirl wrote:
I'm totally down for this!! Manhattan LSAT Noah can set us up with an Elluminate room where we can meet through chat, microphone, chalkboard!! It's an online space!

I'd be up for that. It (reviewing preptests and specific question topics) helped a lot when I was still prepping for December.

cany

New

Post by cany » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:54 pm

lhess218 wrote:
ngogirl wrote:

I'd be up for that. It (reviewing preptests and specific question topics) helped a lot when I was still prepping for December.
Great!! I got Volume-3, the first set of questions are must be true.
Wat say?? Lets review them on Thursday?? ( 50 questions and Chapter from the Bible)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”