Doing the first 10 LR's in 10 minutes...

180asBreath

Doing the first 10 LR's in 10 minutes...

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 pm

It's funny; before I started seriously prepping, I would never miss one of the first 10 in an LR section. I remember hearing that these were gimme questions, and apparently they were - for me; i'd miss like 5 out of 11-25 for a -5, on most LR's.

Now, I seem to miss a bunch of the first 10 and it takes me forever (12-17 minutes). This is a serious issue that needs to be remedied; I kind of feel like I am missing these because I am thinking about them, too much. I'm not allowing the easy answer to pop out at me, and I am tricking myself into choosing a wrong AC.

I'd like to start practicing on the first 10 LR's. Any tips for kind of shutting off the ole brain and just finding the correct AC?

Has anyone else practiced this, specifically?

FryBreadPower

Re: Doing the first 10 LR's in 10 minutes...

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:35 pm

How long have you been studying for? This tends to happen in the first few weeks of studying. Once you learn more methods and they become more natural (and quicker) this should get better.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:How long have you been studying for? This tends to happen in the first few weeks of studying. Once you learn more methods and they become more natural (and quicker) this should get better.

On and off for a year, at least once a week since summer, almost every day for the last month and a half.

I took PT55 today and I missed 4/20 (on the first 10) and 3/30 (on 11-25).

I think I am over-thinking them as before, when I didn't have the best grasp, I was automatic; now I think I miss more on the first 10 then 11-25.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 pm

I would shoot for the first ten questions I answered in 10 minutes. (Don't be afraid of skipping questions to come back to.) Focus on why the other answer choices are wrong and you should allow yourself less wiggle room to "outthink" the question.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Try doing the 11-25, 1-10 method. This tends to end up with the first 15 taking around 20 minutes, but after doing the tough ones, I do the next 10 in under 10 pretty consistently. There are fewer trick answers in those, and after "warming up" on the harder questions, the prephrases jump out a bit easier.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Ah, that's the first time I've heard it explained that way; it's true, I take some time to warm up. I'll take a couple of LR's, tomorrow, and try this out.

Cheers.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm

You are probably over-thinking the first ten questions. If you apply the same process you use on the harder, more complex LR questions you may simply overlook the obvious answer that is normally present in the first ten LR questions. This happened to me about two months into LSAT prepping.

CHIJAMES11

Postby CHIJAMES11 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 am

If you were to look at all my old PTs you would see K.I.S.S. next to any question that I got wrong in between 1-12 and by that I mean Keep It Simple Stupid. It didn't happen often but when it did I made sure to recognize the error of my mistakes and like you it usually stemmed from over thinking and not embracing how easy these questions really are. I think all the 'training' and emphasis I put on answering the harder questions inhibited my ability to see the simplicity within these questions. I tutor a guy I used to go to high school with and I was helping him find the assumptions in the stimulus before we went to the answer choices and for the most part it's kinda shocking how simplistically ingenious those assumptions are. In the end I think it all comes down to truly reading the stimulus with the goal of understanding exactly what it is trying to convey, any underlying assumptions, or any flaws and likewise a precise understanding of how the answer choice when applied to the stimulus or vice versa will behave (this is just good to do all the time). Before you go to the answer choices make sure you know what's really going on and in turn be confident in your method of answering depending on the question type. I would also definitely set a goal of answering 10 questions in the first 10 minutes -being confident in your ability to do so is soooo clutch. Take a step back and realize just how easy these questions are (easier said than done I know) but they can greatly benefit you by saving time and scoring easy points. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”