LR consistency

Miltenberger

LR consistency

Postby Miltenberger » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:40 pm

I am having trouble achieving consistency in the logical reasoning sections. I am taking the December exam and am stuck between -6 and -10 for each section, under timed conditions. This is extremely frustrating because I am consistently -0 or -1 in the games section. I can recognize patterns for the most part but sometimes I just draw a blank. Anyone have any advice?

gaud

Re: LR consistancy

Postby gaud » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Miltenberger wrote:I am having trouble achieving consistency in the logical reasoning sections. I am taking the December exam and am stuck between -6 and -10 for each section, under timed conditions. This is extremely frustrating because I am consistently -0 or -1 in the games section. I can recognize patterns for the most part but sometimes I just draw a blank. Anyone have any advice?

Are you keeping track of the specific question types you're missing the most and drilling those inbetween practice tests? if not, you should start there.

Also, make sure that you review every question (whether you recieved credit is irrelevant) and understand why each answer choice is either correct or incorrect.

hobojarpen

Re: LR consistency

Postby hobojarpen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:00 am

Is timing an issue for you? Do you either take so long that you run out of time and miss a chunk near the end or rush too quickly in the beginning that you miss a lot of no-brainers upfront?

For me, LG is the easiest, RC the wild card, and LR the middle ground. I averaged between -2 to -7 on the two LRs combined in my PTs. I think the key for me, as it is for a lot of people, was mastering the concepts first, and then working on timing so that I could be accurate AND time-efficient. A common timing strategy is to answer the first 10 in 10 minutes, the next 10 in 15 minutes, and the final 5-6 in the remaining 10 minutes.

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 pm

@ Hobo, do you typically jump around or go from question 1 till the end?

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Intentionally speaking, I actually jump around quite a bit on LG, less often on RC, and not at all on LR. I only jump around on LR if I'm running behind on time i.e. - cutting my losses, moving onto the next question, and then coming back if I have time left over.

The reason I feel comfortable skipping around LG is that I can usually tell which games are the hardest and the easiest, and so I do them in order of difficulty rather than the order they're presented in. For RC, it's a bit harder to tell which passages are harder or easier, so I'm only able to skip around passages some of the time. In both LG and RC though, skipping around the questions WITHIN the specific games or passages if possible.

For LR, there's no real rhyme or reason to how the questions are set up other than the first 10 questions being the easiest, the next 10 being moderately to significantly difficult, and the final 5 being moderately difficult (though they often times seem a lot harder because people usually run out of time by the end of the section). That said, going from the first 10 questions to the final 5-6 questions, and finishing up with the middle 10 questions might be a worthwhile strategy.

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks! I'll try that

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:54 pm

For awhile I was getting down to two answer choices then picking the wrong one. After rereading several sections of LR Bible and taking every piece of good advice on this site my LR scores have improved from -7 to -10 down to -2 to -5. Rather than thinking about which of the two answer choices were correct, I found it very helpful to really think about why each choice is wrong. Looking from the opposite side really drove home the meaning of there are 4 wrong answers instead of 1 right answer. Two cents-

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”