Reviewing LR Answers?

Geetar Man

Reviewing LR Answers?

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 pm

After I review the questions I got wrong in the LR section, I find that (even though I know which answer I chose and that it was wrong) the answer seems to be extremely obvious the second go around.

It's still early in my studying, but I am sick and tired of getting questions wrong the first time and realizing how obvious the answer is the second time...

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there anyway to help me practice to see the "obvious" answer the first time?

I would love to hear all opinions!

HellOnHeels

Re: Reviewing LR Answers?

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I had the same issue, so I went through a couple of sections (ones I hadn't been through before so I didn't know what the correct answer was) and for each choice wrote out why it was wrong. When I found one that I couldn't figure out why it was wrong, then it was probably the correct answer. Once I got the hang of it, I was able to do it in my head, and it sort of became my natural process when doing LR.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:12 pm

stephinmd wrote:I had the same issue, so I went through a couple of sections (ones I hadn't been through before so I didn't know what the correct answer was) and for each choice wrote out why it was wrong. When I found one that I couldn't figure out why it was wrong, then it was probably the correct answer. Once I got the hang of it, I was able to do it in my head, and it sort of became my natural process when doing LR.

That's a good idea! Though very time consuming, I'm definitely going to give it a try. It would basically force me to disprove the incorrect answers, thereby eliminating every answer but the correct answer. I'll try it.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:20 pm

The credited answer choices for the high difficulty LR questions are not obvious. That is one of the ways the test is intentionally constructed to insure that only people with a high ability/skill level achieve a high score that is an accurate rating of their true ability/performance. The psychometrics also make sure that the test accurately scores the ability/performance level of everybody that takes the test.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Jeffort wrote:The credited answer choices for the high difficulty LR questions are not obvious. That is one of the ways the test is intentionally constructed to insure that only people with a high ability/skill level achieve a high score that is an accurate rating of their true ability/performance. The psychometrics also make sure that the test accurately scores the ability/performance level of everybody that takes the test.

So then maybe I am getting the highly difficult questions right? OR I am seeing the answer more clearly once I recognize that the answer I chose is incorrect, therefore leaving me with 3 incorrect answers and 1 correct.

So maybe EVERY answer that I go over isn't completely obvious. I can say though, with certainty, that the majority are.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
Jeffort wrote:The credited answer choices for the high difficulty LR questions are not obvious. That is one of the ways the test is intentionally constructed to insure that only people with a high ability/skill level achieve a high score that is an accurate rating of their true ability/performance. The psychometrics also make sure that the test accurately scores the ability/performance level of everybody that takes the test.

So then maybe I am getting the highly difficult questions right? OR I am seeing the answer more clearly once I recognize that the answer I chose is incorrect, therefore leaving me with 3 incorrect answers and 1 correct.

So maybe EVERY answer that I go over isn't completely obvious. I can say though, with certainty, that the majority are.

Your current practice test(s) score range from fresh recent tests taken under honest test-day simulated conditions would answer the question more accurately than I or anyone else that posts here can.

The first sentence of your post is discombobulated and fairly confusing. There are five (5) answer choices per question unless you are taking the LSAT-India version to apply to law school over there. The LSAT-India version for applying to the new law schools in India only have four (4) answer choices for many of the questions, unlike the USA version required to apply to ABA law schools.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Jeffort wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:

Your current practice test(s) score range from fresh recent tests taken under honest test-day simulated conditions would answer the question more accurately than I or anyone else that posts here can.

The first sentence of your post is discombobulated and fairly confusing. There are five (5) answer choices per question unless you are taking the LSAT-India version to apply to law school over there. The LSAT-India version for applying to the new law schools in India only have four (4) answer choices for many of the questions, unlike the USA version required to apply to ABA law schools.

Okay, so what I meant was that when I go back to review the questions I got wrong, I automatically know which answer I put and was wrong, leaving 4 possible answer choices. The reason for only having to choose from 4 answers from that point would be because I am obviously not going to consider the wrong answer I had initially put.

My test scores have been timed and have ranged from 148 (diagnostic) to 161 so far, with a median around 156. My problem is, for some odd reason, I can see why the answer is in fact the answer is THE answer (before checking it with the answer key) the second go around. The answer that I chose in the first go around always seems SO ENTIRELY wrong that I don't understand why I even chose it. The correct answer in the second go around seems fairly obvious most of the time. I'm still in my beginning prep, as I plan to take the test in June. I'm just trying to figure out a way to be more "clear minded" the first go around.

I just don't understand why my train of thought seems so thrown off the first time, since the second time I see the question, it seems easier. I think it might be because I am rushing (I take the PTs timed) and that rushing is whats causing me to choose wrong answers.

I do appreciate the feedback!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”