sufficient and necessary conditions in this sentence:

naillsat

Re: sufficient and necessary conditions in this sentence:

Postby naillsat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:48 am

kaiser wrote:So I guess I wasn't crazy because thats the exact conditional I was trying to argue (that being green cotton fiber commercially available --> long-fiber variety spun by machine bred)

so it is a necessary/sufficient condition?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 am

naillsat wrote:to make the question source clear, i was referringto pt 24 S3 #11. the correctanswer in B seems like a contrapositive answer to me : cotton that can be spun only by hand ( no machine ) _-----> not commercially available.

this is why i said in my first post that the correct conditional is commercially available --> fibers can be spun by machine was bred

And no, this is NOT what you said in the first post. This is the complete opposite of what you said in the first post. Here is what you originally said:

"long-fibred variety that can be spun by machine (sufficient) --> green cotton became commercially available"

That is the opposite of commercially available --> fibers can be spun by machine was bred

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:51 am

naillsat wrote:
kaiser wrote:So I guess I wasn't crazy because thats the exact conditional I was trying to argue (that being green cotton fiber commercially available --> long-fiber variety spun by machine bred)

so it is a necessary/sufficient condition?

It has to be, based on what the correct answer is. The correct answer is just the contrapositive of the conditional relationship we read out of the sentence (green cotton fiber commercially available --> long-fiber variety spun by machine is bred).

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:52 am

kaiser wrote:
naillsat wrote:to make the question source clear, i was referringto pt 24 S3 #11. the correctanswer in B seems like a contrapositive answer to me : cotton that can be spun only by hand ( no machine ) _-----> not commercially available.

this is why i said in my first post that the correct conditional is commercially available --> fibers can be spun by machine was bred

And no, this is NOT what you said in the first post. This is the complete opposite of what you said in the first post. Here is what you originally said:

"long-fibred variety that can be spun by machine (sufficient) --> green cotton became commercially available"

That is the opposite of commercially available --> fibers can be spun by machine was bred

i was asking whether my understanding is a mistaken reversal of the correct conditio, meaning i realized i was wrong. lol

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:54 am

naillsat wrote:
kaiser wrote:

i was asking whether my understanding is a mistaken reversal of the correct conditio, meaning i realized i was wrong. lol

Lol, ok I gotcha. Looks like we cleared it up though

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”