16.9% Decrease In October Test Takers(Detailed Stats Inside) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: 16.9% Drop in October Test Takers

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:05 pm

180asBreath wrote:So what does all of this mean? How does it affect someone looking to get into T6?
Did you read the thread?

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:18 pm

I have taken a few glances and read some posts, but I'm out of my element. I understand that, overall, less test takers means less applicants and less applicants makes it easier to get into schools; I'm just wondering how this relates to the very top schools. I'd be surprised if fewer people, who had high GPA's and were capable of high LSAT scores, would apply to the top schools - but that's why I'm asking.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 pm

People have different theories. We will just have to wait and see.

I think the general consensus is that the lower numbers of applicants (drops were pretty proportionally equal in all score bands) will make it impossible to maintain medians and class sizes. Either or both could shrink, in which case an individual might have the same or worse chance as last year. However if class sizes need to stay the same, even with splitter friendliness and any of the other tactics employed, then medians will likely drop, meaning your chances will be better than in the last year.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Okay, so let me see here...

Statistically, we have a very large sample size of applicants (test takers). That means that, although the LSAT is "equated" and not "curved," the rules of the curve apply pretty well and we should expect to see scores fall equally at every score band. Because the curve is fairly steep, most people are tightly lumped around 150, anyways.

Last year, 4,414 students matriculated in the Top 13 schools, and Georgetown. Just 2.6% of test takers score 170 and above (again, the effects of a large sample size means the curve applies, even if more people are taking the test multiple times). The LSAC projects ~79,000 applicants this year, meaning 2,054 people apply with a 170 or better.

Conclusion? Those medians are going down!

Warning: this line of thinking done by classics major.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Okay, so let me see here...

Statistically, we have a very large sample size of applicants (test takers). That means that, although the LSAT is "equated" and not "curved," the rules of the curve apply pretty well and we should expect to see scores fall equally at every score band. Because the curve is fairly steep, most people are tightly lumped around 150, anyways.

Last year, 4,414 students matriculated in the Top 13 schools, and Georgetown. Just 2.6% of test takers score 170 and above (again, the effects of a large sample size means the curve applies, even if more people are taking the test multiple times). The LSAC projects ~79,000 applicants this year, meaning 2,054 people apply with a 170 or better.

I smell some anti-UT trolling....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Okay, so let me see here...

I think the analysis is pretty sound (good job!) but then again I was a humanities major, so it could be the blind leading the blind here.

Still, I don't think the conclusion has to follow. The important thing really is how many people apply from the top score bands. I'll try to give a hypothetical example to illustrate: If 100k people take the test this year and achieve scores in the exact same proportions as last year, when 110k people took the test, we'd still be more screwed if this year all of the 170+s chose to apply, whereas last year only 2/3 applied, even if the overall number of applicants decreased. I see no reason for a sharp increase in the likelihood of 170+ people to apply (and actually I seem to recall seeing some sort of chart that showed that people in all score bands applied in the same proportions between the last two cycles, even though the overall number dropped), but you never know.

Regardless, I'm excited. I can't imagine a scenario in which it will be worse.

AspiringAcademic

Bronze

Post by AspiringAcademic » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Campagnolo wrote: Last year, 4,414 students matriculated in the Top 13 schools, and Georgetown. Just 2.6% of test takers score 170 and above (again, the effects of a large sample size means the curve applies, even if more people are taking the test multiple times). The LSAC projects ~79,000 applicants this year, meaning 2,054 people apply with a 170 or better.
The applicant population is not a randomly selected subset of the, much larger, test-taker population:
http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/ ... stered.asp

Last year there were 155000 test takers. Based on the October and June tests this year, lets assume a 17% drop: 124500. 2.7% of that would yield 3361 scores of 170 or above.

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 pm

So, a URM with a 173 LSAT (Harvard's median) but below their 25% GPA would have a better chance at acceptance this year than in previous years?

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:04 pm

vulpixie wrote:So, a URM with a 173 LSAT (Harvard's median) but below their 25% GPA would have a better chance at acceptance this year than in previous years?
Again - who the hell knows.

The short answer: probably.

The long answer: some have speculated a way to keep LSAT medians high would be to somehow decrease URM enrollment, because they tend to have lower LSATs than non-URMs. This is probably not going to happen, and IMO that is a good thing. Even if it did, the URMs with high LSAT scores (like yourself!) would be (have always been) very appealing.

The only reason I can think it's a "maybe" is that the URMs admitted to HYS tend to have really high GPAs and 25th-50th percent LSAT scores. You'll notice that the difference between 25th percent and absolute lowest GPA is not nearly as dramatic as the same difference between LSAT scores. If one way to keep LSAT medians high is to admit people with higher LSATs, the idea is that GPAs might have to take a hit, and schools probably don't want them to drop too low. Ultimately you'll have a great shot if you have a 173 and a 3.6+, but if it's a 173 and a 3.3, you will face an uphill battle this year, the next and for the foreseeable future.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:10 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:
Campagnolo wrote: Last year, 4,414 students matriculated in the Top 13 schools, and Georgetown. Just 2.6% of test takers score 170 and above (again, the effects of a large sample size means the curve applies, even if more people are taking the test multiple times). The LSAC projects ~79,000 applicants this year, meaning 2,054 people apply with a 170 or better.
The applicant population is not a randomly selected subset of the, much larger, test-taker population:

Last year there were 155000 test takers. Based on the October and June tests this year, lets assume a 17% drop: 124500. 2.7% of that would yield 3361 scores of 170 or above.
So estimating there are about 4900 students in the T14 (based on the previous post of 4,414 + 400 or so for UT) and there about 3,361 scores above 170, couldn't the schools maintain their medians while still maintaining their class sizes? Most of the lower half of the T14 obviously accepts people below 170, so accounting for only above 170 scorers doesn't seem to give us a full picture of how the T14 will be affected, or if they will really be affected at all in regards to medians and class sizes. I'm not saying this won't make it less competitive to get accepted since the supply of overall students has been decreased while the demand has remained constant, I just think there is still the possibility of class sizes remaining close to where they are without sacrificing medians, at least for the T14 or so.

The joys of speculation :wink:

WhiteGuy5

Silver

Post by WhiteGuy5 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

SA1928 wrote:
So estimating there are about 4900 students in the T14 (based on the previous post of 4,414 + 400 or so for UT) and there about 3,361 scores above 170, couldn't the schools maintain their medians while still maintaining their class sizes? Most of the lower half of the T14 obviously accepts people below 170, so accounting for only above 170 scorers doesn't seem to give us a full picture of how the T14 will be affected, or if they will really be affected at all in regards to medians and class sizes. I'm not saying this won't make it less competitive to get accepted since the supply of overall students has been decreased while the demand has remained constant, I just think there is still the possibility of class sizes remaining close to where they are without sacrificing medians, at least for the T14 or so.

True. But if there are less 172+ scores, that will have a significant impact on who is accepted where. For example, someone who might have not been accepted into NYU or Chicago last year might get in simply because there are fewer test takers. If you're MPBV--and you notice this trend, you will probably have to lower your medians because more people will likely be admitted/matriculate to the top schools. OR you would have to have a smaller class size. And so on and so on...

Edit: Also, if you take the number of people who have scored in the top 1% (172+ this year), that is so far about 1600 people. Is that enough for the top 6 schools alone? No. So if the top 6 suck up all the 172+ AND some people just below that, that leaves nothing else for the rest of the T14.

vulpixie

Bronze

Post by vulpixie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:20 pm

addy11 wrote: The short answer: probably.

The long answer: some have speculated a way to keep LSAT medians high would be to somehow decrease URM enrollment, because they tend to have lower LSATs than non-URMs. This is probably not going to happen, and IMO that is a good thing. Even if it did, the URMs with high LSAT scores (like yourself!) would be (have always been) very appealing.

The only reason I can think it's a "maybe" is that the URMs admitted to HYS tend to have really high GPAs and 25th-50th percent LSAT scores. You'll notice that the difference between 25th percent and absolute lowest GPA is not nearly as dramatic as the same difference between LSAT scores. If one way to keep LSAT medians high is to admit people with higher LSATs, the idea is that GPAs might have to take a hit, and schools probably don't want them to drop too low. Ultimately you'll have a great shot if you have a 173 and a 3.6+, but if it's a 173 and a 3.3, you will face an uphill battle this year, the next and for the foreseeable future.
The URM is my fiance (not me), but thanks for the reply :) He has a 3.59ish GPA that won't go up to a 3.6 until after next semester. He's a bit concerned that his GPA -- which low for URMs -- could hurt him despite his high LSAT. The drop in test-takers seems like good news, though.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

SA1928 wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:

Very much this. My guess-and fervent hope-is that medians will drop. But if a school's median is 170 it only has to accept half of the students with a 170 or better. So that means that whatever population of 170 scores we are talking about, I think there are still more than enough to go around. So while your guy's guess that medians will drop might be right, it's not because of this 170 testing population. I wouldn't even know how to begin factoring in GPAs but that might limit the amount to a smaller size.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 pm

SA1928 wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:

All schools accept people below 170. But substitute 167 for 170 and 4.1% (or whatever) for 2.6% and the analysis above remains the same.

The point is not to take the number of 170+ people and compare it with slots in the t14. After all, some 175+ have below 3.0s, and some 169s have 4.0s. I think I would bet on the chances of the latter when it came to t14 acceptance rates. The point is to try to think of an "all things equal" scenario, and this year it seems like all things equal, applicants dropping drastically will mean either that class sizes will either drop or the medians will.

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:31 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:
SA1928 wrote:

True. But if there are less 172+ scores, that will have a significant impact on who is accepted where. For example, someone who might have not been accepted into NYU or Chicago last year might get in simply because there are fewer test takers. If you're MPBV--and you notice this trend, you will probably have to lower your medians because more people will likely be admitted/matriculate to the top schools. OR you would have to have a smaller class size. And so on and so on...

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying and that definitely makes sense! I'm hopeful that it is less competitive this cycle...would be very nice! :)

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:47 pm

addy11 wrote:
SA1928 wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:

All schools accept people below 170. But substitute 167 for 170 and 4.1% (or whatever) for 2.6% and the analysis above remains the same.

The point is not to take the number of 170+ people and compare it with slots in the t14. After all, some 175+ have below 3.0s, and some 169s have 4.0s. I think I would bet on the chances of the latter when it came to t14 acceptance rates. The point is to try to think of an "all things equal" scenario, and this year it seems like all things equal, applicants dropping drastically will mean either that class sizes will either drop or the medians will.
I know all schools accept people below 170, I meant it is more prevalent in the lower half of the T14 than it is in say the T6 schools. Sorry, I wasn't clear when I typed that.

I see what you are saying that something has to give in regards to class size or median, all things being equal...it just seems that every school in the T14 won't necessarily have to change their medians/class size in response to the drop.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 pm

SA1928 wrote:I know all schools accept people below 170, I meant it is more prevalent in the lower half of the T14 than it is in say the T6 schools. Sorry, I wasn't clear when I typed that.

I see what you are saying that something has to give in regards to class size or median, all things being equal...it just seems that every school in the T14 won't necessarily have to change their medians/class size in response to the drop.
True enough. We sort of regard these bands (HYS>CCN>MVPB>DNCG) as arbitrary, but the gaps between them are real and could alternatively shrink and expand. This could be the beginning of a "huge" reshuffling: what if Columbia goes through Herculean efforts to increase its LSAT median, while Stanford doesn't do the same and they switch spots?

Alternatively, any changes don't have to be uniform, and could offset each other. What if, say, Chicago has the financial wherewithal and contractual setup to cut its class by one third. Chicago could drastically drive up its medians, and Michigan - formerly fearing it would have to lower its medians in the wake of a lower class size - could scoop up the folks who normally would have been in at Chicago, filling its class size without having to reduce medians.

The thought exercises/speculation really are endless :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 am

SA1928 wrote:
AspiringAcademic wrote:

Good analysis by all of you. But I'd add this: Not all of the 3,361 will apply. Just as 155,000 total test-takers last year only turned into only 79,000 applicants, there will be plenty of 170 scorers who just don't apply to law school. They'll get jobs on Wall Street, or lose interest, or be scared away by the anti-law school articles in the media, or get admitted to prestigious non-law graduate programs, etc.

How many of the 3,361 will apply to law school? There's no data on that, but I'm speculating about 80% or 2,700. And then a handful won't apply to the T14; there are always some people who want to stay in their hometown or go to their state school with cheap tuition. So figure about 2,600 applicants, and, as you've said, the T14 need about 2,200 170 scorers to maintain their 170 group median.

So 2,600 applicants when they need 2,200. The bottom line is there will still be enough high scorers to maintain the medians, but it's a very tight fit. So I'm thinking if you've got a 170, you're a good bet for the T14, unless you've got a GPA under 3.0, or a criminal record, or a sloppy application, or apply at the last minute, etc.

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Post by DonnaDraper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 am

As said above by Robespierre, I am thinking (and hoping) that maybe the medians won't necessarily decrease, but they will end up taking a regular 170 vs an amazing softs 170 to keep their medians.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:56 am

Robespierre wrote: Good analysis by all of you. But I'd add this: Not all of the 3,361 will apply. Just as 155,000 total test-takers last year only turned into only 79,000 applicants, there will be plenty of 170 scorers who just don't apply to law school. They'll get jobs on Wall Street, or lose interest, or be scared away by the anti-law school articles in the media, or get admitted to prestigious non-law graduate programs, etc.

How many of the 3,361 will apply to law school? There's no data on that, but I'm speculating about 80% or 2,700. And then a handful won't apply to the T14; there are always some people who want to stay in their hometown or go to their state school with cheap tuition. So figure about 2,600 applicants, and, as you've said, the T14 need about 2,200 170 scorers to maintain their 170 group median.

So 2,600 applicants when they need 2,200. The bottom line is there will still be enough high scorers to maintain the medians, but it's a very tight fit. So I'm thinking if you've got a 170, you're a good bet for the T14, unless you've got a GPA under 3.0, or a criminal record, or a sloppy application, or apply at the last minute, etc.
Another thing to keep in mind is the number of people who score 170+ and retake and get 170+, reducing the number of actual applicants who apply with 170+.

There were 370 such people here:
http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/ ... erData.pdf

Meaning if test takers reduce by 15% (a round number), the number of 170+ scorers is 3558. But about 350 of them already had a 170+. So that takes you down to 3208. Then take out the people who for, whatever reason, won't apply and those that go to non-T14 schools for personal reasons.

However you want to slice it, you're probably looking at about 500-600 less people applying with 170+ this year. Even if you want to be really conservative and count on a 10% decrease, with more of those people applying (as a percentage) because they're more sure they want it going in, you're looking at about 350 people.

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 am

DonnaDraper wrote:As said above by Robespierre, I am thinking (and hoping) that maybe the medians won't necessarily decrease, but they will end up taking a regular 170 vs an amazing softs 170 to keep their medians.
Yeah, I definitely think softs and applying later won't matter as much, but IMO at least 3-4 of the T14 will have their medians drop, probably more like 7-8.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I spoke to the dean of a very reputable school this week that told me this cycle, thus far, is shaping up to be very similar to the last cycle. Both, in volume of applications and in the quality of the numbers contained within them.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:35 pm

JoeMo wrote:I spoke to the dean of a very reputable school this week that told me this cycle, thus far, is shaping up to be very similar to the last cycle. Both, in volume of applications and in the quality of the numbers contained within them.
What school?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:47 pm

freestallion wrote:
JoeMo wrote:I spoke to the dean of a very reputable school this week that told me this cycle, thus far, is shaping up to be very similar to the last cycle. Both, in volume of applications and in the quality of the numbers contained within them.
What school?
I don't want to out the dean because I have a feeling that this wasn't information that was being made hastily available based on the way it was communicated, however, it was a top 20 school.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:48 pm

freestallion wrote:
What school?
Oh, and this is obviously just based on how the cycle is going so far. Volume they've received so far vs. last year at the same point, etc...

But it could just be that more people got off their butts and applied earlier and the cycle could very well change drastically by the time it's all said and done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”