Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello all,

I am a current junior in college and took my first diagnostic test today and got a 164. It was Test 29 (if that makes any difference). My only studying so far had been reading about 2/3 of the LGB, and I hadn't even cracked a book open on LR or CR.

My four sections were:

LR: -2
CR: -6
LG: -13
LR: -0 (wooh!)

I am currently taking the semester off so I could conceivably study as if it were a full time job. I have a 3.98 GPA from a top 20 university, so would feel like I wasted that GPA if I wasn't able to at least get a 170+. Basically, it looks like I need to focus most of time on LG and if I were to master that section I would be well on my way to a 170+. For those of you who have consistently had perfect LG sections, how long did it take you to get perfect? How did you go about doing that?

Most importantly, do people think I should take advantage of the entirely empty four weeks I have right now and study straight through until test day or study over the next three months and take the February exam (while I am in the midst of Spring semester)?

I realize I asked a lot of questions. Feel free to weigh in on as many or as few questions as you'd like. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by bernaldiaz on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

For most people, LG is the easiest and fastest section to improve. I think you'd be in good shape for the December test. Start the LGB over and work through everything, don't just read it.

Unfortunately, the December test still puts you pretty late in the cycle. Schools won't even be getting your score until after some decisions have gone out.

User avatar
ggibelli
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby ggibelli » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 pm

if you have the $$ for it, i recommend doing velocity's LG course. i have no doubt you will master it in the time needed for the test

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:For most people, LG is the easiest and fastest section to improve. I think you'd be in good shape for the December test. Start the LGB over and work through everything, don't just read it.

Unfortunately, the December test still puts you pretty late in the cycle. Schools won't even be getting your score until after some decisions have gone out.


I'm actually a junior, so I'd be ahead of the game. I neglected to mention this in the original post I guess. I'll edit it in now.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:56 pm

Also, does anyone think I should pony up for a class, just to provide some structure? I was thinking of doing the Testmasters online one. I won't be in a fixed location long enough to take a live class.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:58 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I'm actually a junior, so I'd be ahead of the game. I neglected to mention this in the original post I guess. I'll edit it in now.

If you're a junior, why the heck are you taking it in December? Take it in June and shoot for a 180. Give yourself the time necessary for that, don't rush. My diagnostic was in the upper 160s, and I studied a lot to get to the upper 170s. When you get into the 17X range, it becomes harder to improve. You'll likely see a fast improvement into the upper 160s/lower 170s after doing the LGB and LG drills (LG is the easiest to improve on) but your next worst section is RC (this was my worst section as well), which is arguably the hardest section to improve on.

Even if you're in the 170s by December, why would you not go for 180 and make yourself Yale sekure with that GPA? Don't. Rush. The LSAT will still be there in a year. Also, don't waste your money on an online class. An in person class, maybe, but online? You can study yourself and do just as well. TLS can be your online class.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:I'm actually a junior, so I'd be ahead of the game. I neglected to mention this in the original post I guess. I'll edit it in now.

If you're a junior, why the heck are you taking it in December? Take it in June and shoot for a 180. Give yourself the time necessary for that, don't rush. My diagnostic was in the upper 160s, and I studied a lot to get to the upper 170s. When you get into the 17X range, it becomes harder to improve. You'll likely see a fast improvement into the upper 160s/lower 170s after doing the LGB and LG drills (LG is the easiest to improve on) but your next worst section is RC (this was my worst section as well), which is arguably the hardest section to improve on.

Even if you're in the 170s by December, why would you not go for 180 and make yourself Yale sekure with that GPA? Don't. Rush. The LSAT will still be there in a year. Also, don't waste your money on an online class. An in person class, maybe, but online? You can study yourself and do just as well. TLS can be your online class.


I wanted to take it December or February because as I mentioned, I am currently taking the rest of the semester off (was supposed to be at Oxbridge for the year, hated it, decided to re-enroll at my uni in the spring). Therefore, I have this block of time that I can productively study that most people will never have. Also, since I'm missing a semester, my last three semesters at school are going to be absolutely crazy, so if I can stop worrying about the LSAT by even February of this year, my life would be greatly simplified. But I understand what you're saying. I think December should definitely be out of the question. I can prep all through the rest of this semester and through what is winter break.

How did you master LG? Just the LGB? After reading most of it and doing all the corresponding drills, I'm not sure that will be enough for me.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:22 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:I wanted to take it December or February because as I mentioned, I am currently taking the rest of the semester off (was supposed to be at Oxbridge for the year, hated it, decided to re-enroll at my uni in the spring). Therefore, I have this block of time that I can productively study that most people will never have. Also, since I'm missing a semester, my last three semesters at school are going to be absolutely crazy, so if I can stop worrying about the LSAT by even February of this year, my life would be greatly simplified. But I understand what you're saying. I think December should definitely be out of the question. I can prep all through the rest of this semester and through what is winter break.

How did you master LG? Just the LGB? After reading most of it and doing all the corresponding drills, I'm not sure that will be enough for me.

Yeah, sounds like a good plan.

I actually got a -0 LG on my diagnostic, so I didn't really do much prep work for that section. I did go through the LGB, though, and felt that it helped me become more consistent and confident with the section in terms of timing. From reading this forum and having friends who improved a lot on the section (and some who teach the LSAT now), what I can recommend is a LOT of drilling. Finish the LGB and make sure you have all the theories down, then buy a book of practice sections/drills and work through it. First focus on going untimed and shooting for 100% accuracy, then when you understand how to do the games, work on your timing.

The thing about logic games is that they're incredibly learnable. There's a couple of standard set-ups that you can apply with minor tweaks to literally every game they throw at you. The key is to think about the questions in a visual way so your diagram is set up in a logical, clear manner. If your diagram and inferences are accurate, then even the hardest of games should be a breeze. Once you get comfortable with LG, you'll find that the section starts feeling like a mental break from the rest of the test, because all you do is plug in the variables, make deductions, and then apply them. And most importantly: don't ever let any section scare you, no matter how much you're struggling. Particularly with LG, oftentimes feeling daunted is one of the main reasons why people bomb. (Also, people tell themselves they "hate LG" and end up dreading the section...don't do that to yourself. ENJOY THEM! They're called 'games' for a reason :D )

Also, try not to do any PTs until you've drilled all sections and gotten comfortable with them. Otherwise you're burning through tests without the proper foundation.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Diagnostic today of 164, ready for December?

Postby noleknight16 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:24 pm

You're doing great!!! Master the LG and then take the test. You have plenty of time to master LG.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, greatspirit, Greenteachurro, Instrumental, mrgstephe and 5 guests