LG "Could be true" questions

LG "Could be true" questions

Postby notaznguy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:15 am

What's the general strategy for these questions? Usually when I see them, I seem to have no other choices but to start going down from A-E and just plug and chug and see if they work. Freaking takes a long time too.

Re: LG "Could be true" questions

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 am

Well the 4 incorrect questions MBF. Usually if you have put together a good diagram and really internalized the rules you will see one or two answer choices and immediately know they couldn't possibly be true (maybe because you had seen those possibilities in past questions and known they could not have been true at that time)

Deductions will usually knock out an answer or two as well (i.e. if you know K has to be in slot 2; K in slot 3 will typically be an answer choice). If you have down to two you at least have made your life significantly easier if you have to plug them in and see what works and what doesn't

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

This isn't going to work 100% of the time, but usually you can get the diagram in a CBT question pretty filled out, save for one or two slots that have options/linked options. Generally, I scan the answer choices for the players that could go in those slots, as they usually don't give you a MBT answer.

So, for instance, if I have:

I'd scan the answer choices for ones that deal with C and B, since where they go isn't set, and I've found it's more likely for a CBT answer to deal with them than any of the known variables.

This is for the conditional CBT questions, where you can fill stuff out. The advice above is great for the absolute CBT questions.

Postby kaiser » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:08 pm

For CBT questions, you want to look over your past work, since this may give you the answer now and then. Remember that you should always save past hypotheticals that do not violate any rules (while crossing out those that didn't work). Thus, if you want to know if "A goes in spot 3" could possibly be true, first thing you do is look at all your past correct work and see if any have A in spot 3. If one does, then you have your answer. More times than not, they won't construct the test such that looking at past work immediately gives away the answer, but it sometimes happens and you want to take advantage of it.

You also want to look at the rules you diagrammed, as well as the additional deductions you figured out as you went along in the came. Perhaps you figured out it would be impossible for A to go in any spot other than 2 or 4. As long as you properly keep track of these deductions, you will know quickly that "A goes in spot 3" couldn't possibly be true, and therefore must be wrong. Lastly, I just make some quick hypos to test out the possibilities. I would make a fresh hypo, put A in spot 3, and see if it works. If it does work, then you have your answer. BUT, keep in mind that, if it doesn't work, that does NOT necessarily indicate that A can't go in spot 3. You may have made some other error, making it so the hypo doesn't work. You need to ensure that, if it doesn't work, it is BECAUSE A is in spot 3.

This is my usual progression of strategies on CBT questions, and I find it very helpful. You first rely on stuff you already have and could theoretically avoid doing any new work. And if all else fails, you test things out and end up with a few helpful hypos you can utilize on future questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”