What happens if I decide to retake the LSAT AFTER applying?

azbycxdd

What happens if I decide to retake the LSAT AFTER applying?

Postby azbycxdd » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Hey guys,

When applying to law schools most school require that you list all LSAT administration dates, as well as the dates when you plan to retake the LSAT.

What happens if I am not sure if I want to retake, so I don't put any retake date on my application. But then later I decide I want to take the LSAT in February?

I figure either A) The law school gets notified and the app gets delayed B) The law school views this poorly since you "lied" on your application or C) The law school doesn't know about it and evaluates you as if you had never signed up to take the test since the app is already in.

Does anybody know?

Thanks!

noleknight16

Re: What happens if I decide to retake the LSAT AFTER applying?

Postby noleknight16 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm

For the schools you want to wait for another LSAT score before a final decision, just call or send a quick e-mail to the admissions, letting them know you're registered for another LSAT and would like for them to hold off on the final decision till that score comes in.

RamblinBoyofPleasure

Postby RamblinBoyofPleasure » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:30 pm

What if you don't want them to wait?

Kess

Postby Kess » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 pm

I am wondering this too. I am almost ready to apply now, but I am thinking of taking it in February for the purposes of getting off waitlists.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:27 pm

RamblinBoyofPleasure wrote:What if you don't want them to wait?

Just email them to ask that they consider your application complete with your current LSAT. They will say something about putting the email in your file and I imagine process your application.

Kess

Postby Kess » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:34 pm

azbycxdd wrote:Hey guys,

When applying to law schools most school require that you list all LSAT administration dates, as well as the dates when you plan to retake the LSAT.

What happens if I am not sure if I want to retake, so I don't put any retake date on my application. But then later I decide I want to take the LSAT in February?

B) The law school views this poorly since you "lied" on your application

Does anybody know?

Thanks!

Does (b) ever happen? I surely wouldn't want such a retake to do more harm than good.

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm really in a bind right now. I'm considering taking the February LSAT to try to bump my stats up a bit more... but I've already applied! Since my applications are already complete, I feel that a retake might piss schools off (since I am sure they don't want to have to look at your completed application more than once).

But on the other hand if I do better my chances might improve?

What do people think?

Thanks!

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:02 pm

I basically just posted the same question here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=175858 20 min ago lol

I am now worried that signing up for a Feb. retake wasn't such a good idea as schools will either view it negatively and/or hold off on making a decision on your application (even if you tell them to use the score you have on file, I'm wondering if they have incentive to wait anyways)

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Last edited by hurricane12345 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Its good to see that I'm not the only one having this issue. I'm still waiting on a few schools and don't want my application to be shunted aside until the second week in March, but at the same time an LSAT boost could definitely help.

What's funny is that I've already gotten into a few schools that on the personal statement I swore that those schools were my top choice and I would be honored to get in. If those schools now see me registering for an LSAT lol... I don't think they would rescind admission but it looks kind of asshole-ish.

Did you see my post regarding the June LSAT? What do you think of that?

azbycxdd

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 pm

I would cancel... but I'm defiantly not sure. If you cancel and then decide to want to retake there might not be any testing spots left.

hurricane12345

Postby hurricane12345 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Last edited by hurricane12345 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

azbycxdd wrote:What's funny is that I've already gotten into a few schools that on the personal statement I swore that those schools were my top choice and I would be honored to get in.

You told multiple schools that they were your top choice? That's bad form - it's dishonest. You can tell multiple schools that they're A top school, but it's not a good thing to be telling multiple schools that aren't your top choice that they are.

As far as the situation at hand, the schools aren't going to think you 'lied' on the application and view you in a negative light - they realize situations change and people decide to take the LSAT again after applying. However, you can't have your cake and eat it to. You're either going to have to be considered with your current score, or you're going to have to delay consideration (if possible - many schools won't look at a Feb. LSAT score) until the new score comes out. Schools won't care that they have to look at your application twice because they won't - they'll either look at it now or with the new score.

As far as having them look at your application now or later, that really depends on where you're at in their percentiles and where you think you can bump it up to after the February LSAT. If you're going from -25% to ~75%, then it's probably worth the wait (assuming the school will accept such a late score).

Of course, at this point, the best thing to do is wait a year, but...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”