What should I do to improve LR to perfection?

roranoa

What should I do to improve LR to perfection?

Postby roranoa » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:30 pm

I've been studying for quite a while now (months...) and I can reliably get -2 to -3 on one section of LR.

But apparently this is not good enough since I think I'm gonna need -2 to -3 for both LR sections combined in order to achieve my 170+ goal.

Anyway, What do you guys think is critical to getting through this plateau? What do people who consistently get perfect on LR do or did (while studying) differently?

Any advice or ideas?

naillsat

Re: What should I do to improve LR to perfection?

Postby naillsat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:05 am

roranoa wrote:I've been studying for quite a while now (months...) and I can reliably get -2 to -3 on one section of LR.

since I think I'm gonna need -2 to -3 for both LR sections combined in order to achieve my 170+ goal.

is this for real? I guess it pretty much depends on how good or poorly you do on RC and/or LG sections.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:50 am

roranoa wrote:I've been studying for quite a while now (months...) and I can reliably get -2 to -3 on one section of LR.

But apparently this is not good enough since I think I'm gonna need -2 to -3 for both LR sections combined in order to achieve my 170+ goal.

Anyway, What do you guys think is critical to getting through this plateau? What do people who consistently get perfect on LR do or did (while studying) differently?

Any advice or ideas?

You're so close! Clearly you understand the test. I think at this point you'd need to figure out what is holding you back. Are you having timing issues/having to rush at parts of the test? Are you consistently missing certain question types? I would just make sure you look at every question you get wrong, make sure you understand why the 4 wrong answer choices were wrong, and why the correct one was correct. Maybe develop a strategy for attacking certain question types if it's always the same type or something. HTH.

I went -1 on both LR sections combined in October btw, after going -5 or so the first time I took it, so you definitely can get there. I found that it wasn't just luck or something; it was learning the test better.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 am

naillsat wrote:

since I think I'm gonna need -2 to -3 for both LR sections combined in order to achieve my 170+ goal.

is this for real? I guess it pretty much depends on how good or poorly you do on RC and/or LG sections.

I'm not sure what part of my post you can't believe but, I do well on LG. And for RC, I'm happy with my plateau on that section. So that leaves LR which is more easy to improve than RC IMO.

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:03 am

If you get your LG down to perfection, than a -5 to -6 total missed on LR is well enough to aim for 170+. Bombing RC is always a worry, but with a -3 to -4 score on that you're in the 170 range. That's more than enough cushion.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:07 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:

Any advice or ideas?

You're so close! Clearly you understand the test. I think at this point you'd need to figure out what is holding you back. Are you having timing issues/having to rush at parts of the test? Are you consistently missing certain question types? I would just make sure you look at every question you get wrong, make sure you understand why the 4 wrong answer choices were wrong, and why the correct one was correct. Maybe develop a strategy for attacking certain question types if it's always the same type or something. HTH.

I went -1 on both LR sections combined in October btw, after going -5 or so the first time I took it, so you definitely can get there. I found that it wasn't just luck or something; it was learning the test better.

Thanks for the helpful response!
Yes, actually I do have some timing issues. I sometimes dwell on certain questions and I sort of lose my pace there. I try not to but, well, it happens. Another thing is that I sometimes make really stupid mistakes. Other times, for some reason, I just don't get the question. (But after I stop timing myself I suddenly get it.)

So...the problem is many things combined. Any advice on this?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 am

Strange wrote:If you get your LG down to perfection, than a -5 to -6 total missed on LR is well enough to aim for 170+. Bombing RC is always a worry, but with a -3 to -4 score on that you're in the 170 range. That's more than enough cushion.

But the higher the better right? And the point of my post was to get advice on LR. I just felt like I needed to give a reason on why I need (or want) a perfect LR score that's all

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:34 am

roranoa wrote:
Strange wrote:If you get your LG down to perfection, than a -5 to -6 total missed on LR is well enough to aim for 170+. Bombing RC is always a worry, but with a -3 to -4 score on that you're in the 170 range. That's more than enough cushion.

But the higher the better right? And the point of my post was to get advice on LR. I just felt like I needed to give a reason on why I need (or want) a perfect LR score that's all

What have you done up to this point as far as drilling? Might give people a better idea of what you need to do going forward

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:03 am

Strange wrote:
roranoa wrote:

What have you done up to this point as far as drilling? Might give people a better idea of what you need to do going forward

I just did the basics. After I got the concept of LR from the PS bible I went through PT's and reviewed them. Review, as in tried to figure out why the choice I made was wrong and the right one is right.

And that's pretty much it.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 am

roranoa wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks for the helpful response!
Yes, actually I do have some timing issues. I sometimes dwell on certain questions and I sort of lose my pace there. I try not to but, well, it happens. Another thing is that I sometimes make really stupid mistakes. Other times, for some reason, I just don't get the question. (But after I stop timing myself I suddenly get it.)

So...the problem is many things combined. Any advice on this?

Hmm...

I certainly dwell on some questions, so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can spend up to 2.5-3 minutes on one lengthy parallel question if I need to, and still get through the section on time. However, it could also be because you don't understand the question type well enough in which case you're fumbling and wasting time. Also, it could be because you're letting dense scientific language get to you. You may need to experiment with that a bit and reflect on that a bit to figure out where the problem is. If you're losing pace on a specific question type, I would go back and try to develop a strategy for attacking those questions so that you know exactly what to do when you see them. If the problem is dense material (this was a problem for me), try practicing reading through the passage and seeing the argument and the form of the passage, without getting tripped up by not necessarily knowing what a specific term means.

I'm not exactly sure what the nature is of that problem about not getting it during the test, but then having it be obvious after. That happened with me too. I think it will decrease with more practice, as long as you always go back and reflect on the 4 wrong answers and the 1 right answer, because you'll begin to see the different patterns between right and wrong answers more. Improving timing may help with this as well, because you will be less distracted by the element of time and more focused on the material. Also, it's important to remember that speeding up isn't skimming; it's the opposite. It's engaging the material deeply and without hesitation.

HTH. If you have any more questions let me know.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:45 am

Tim0thy222,

Thanks again for replying.
I just saw your profile and was amazed by that huge leap in your score!

Can I ask you what you did differently? When you took the test the second time?

Also, another question about LR, do you read all the answer choices? Or do you move on as soon as you locate the answer you think is right? I think I sometimes lose points doing that...but then again I can't seem to get in time if I read every single answer choice.

You also mentioned that I might be not understanding certain question types but I don't think that's it. It's more like, for example, if there is a strengthen question I wouldn't understand how any of the answer choices would strengthen the conclusion of the stimulus or I wouldn't be able to decide between the two best ones and eventually land on the wrong one. Similarly for assumption questions (which happens to be one of my weak points) I wouldn't understand what kind of assumption is needed for the stimulus or I would be lost between two choices.

Another problem I sometimes have is, like you mentioned, that I have trouble comprehending convoluted sentences. This especially troubles me when added with time pressure.

Do you have any specific advice on this? Anyone?

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:56 am

Bump! ...for more advice plz

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 am

My two cents- I improved from -4 on LR (combined) to -1 on LR (combined) between June and this is what I did.

STOP DOING PRACTICE TESTS. Doing practice sections over and over again will not lead to much improvement on LR beyond a certain point; your mistakes will be too scattered among the different types of LR questions for review to make a big difference. Get a book that has huge breakdowns on LR questions by type, and drill each type relentlessly. The 3 main frameworks for LR questions each have consistent fundamentals, and recognizing those is what made the big jump possible for me.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:14 am

American_in_China wrote:My two cents- I improved from -4 on LR (combined) to -1 on LR (combined) between June and this is what I did.

STOP DOING PRACTICE TESTS. Doing practice sections over and over again will not lead to much improvement on LR beyond a certain point; your mistakes will be too scattered among the different types of LR questions for review to make a big difference. Get a book that has huge breakdowns on LR questions by type, and drill each type relentlessly. The 3 main frameworks for LR questions each have consistent fundamentals, and recognizing those is what made the big jump possible for me.

Thanks!! I'll try that!

How long did it take you to make that jump? (from -4 to -1)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”