Any harm in retaking?

rwhyAn

Any harm in retaking?

Postby rwhyAn » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:09 am

Hey everyone, I was a bit disappointed with my results from this past test. I thought I had done 3-4 points better than my actual results, but instead I ended up with a 160. I was averaging 164 on my PTs, with a range of 159-168 on about 12-15 attempts, and my last PT, two days before the exam, was a 166. Is there any harm in retaking December? I have an absence on my record from last year, a 157, and now a 160. Because of my score, some of my target schools are now reaches. I'm worried that if I only improve by a point or two (or my score remains the same) and I wait the extra two months to apply, that my chances will be hurt. The good news is that I'm pretty sure that I can't do any worse than my current score. My top 3 schools are Notre Dame, ASU (I'm an alum), and Florida. Right now, I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't get in anywhere with my current score and my 3.2 GPA. Thanks.

CodyRuegger

Re: Any harm in retaking?

Postby CodyRuegger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 am

Chances are you'll see some gain but it won't be huge. I suppose there's no 'harm' in it, but I bet if you scour the resources on this site you can find a study method that will help you make a push towards consistent 170's on your PT's. Forget the deadlines, you don't have to settle for low 160's.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 am

Retake- take a year off if needed. It's very easy to live abroad and teach english (and quite cheap) and it'll be another good experience and something on your resume. Don't go to a school below your ability because you had a bad test.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Retake if you are willing to put forth the effort necessary to score a 164 or higher. There is no harm for you in the high 150s or above as it will confirm your first two scores.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Notre Dame? That's going to be a reach with a much higher LSAT. Also, you're going to need to get a sponsor to take it a 4th time I think. And, retaking might hurt you at schools while your app is on hold.

rwhyAn

Postby rwhyAn » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks. The absence doesn't count as a take, right? I'm not even sure that I would go to Notre Dame, even if I were to get in, because I'm not sure that I'd like living in the area, but there's something about the whole prestige of ND. Stupid, I know. However, I'd really love to go to ASU since I did my undergrad there, and I absolutely love the area. I wouldn't mind going to Arizona either. After the two Arizona schools, Florida would be my next choice. As for why Arizona and Florida, I'd like to get out of the northeast and go somewhere warm. I feel like I performed as poorly as I could have the first two attempts, and I think a 164 or higher is definitely within reach. To the individual mentioning living abroad to teach, I actually have a decent paying job right now. I'm a non-traditional applicant, 28 yrs old with 5 years of WE, 4 of which in management positions. I'm actually in a bit of a predicament right now because I work for Rutgers, and I am eligible for free tuition if I keep working there full-time, but I can't fit their part-time program into my schedule right now with my current work hours. But, even if I could make it work, would I be crazy for giving that up to go ASU, Arizona, or Florida, if I were to get in?

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:44 pm

I don't think it would be smart passing up free tuition at Rutgers unless you got into a T14. If your currently making a good salary study and take next June and reapply.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”