HELP: Should I retake December?

HELP: Should I retake December?

Postby azbycxdd » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Hey guys,

3.65 GPA/164 LSAT.

Took the test in June 11 and Oct 11, got a 164 both times. Really want to get into UC Davis or schools in the 20-30 range.

The cons of taking a third time from what I've seen are:

1. Later application
2. If don't improve 3 test scores looks bad

Would you retake in my position? If I don't improve the third time will this substantially WORSEN my chances? I was scoring 170+ on PT. I'm pretty sure I would improve in December but not 100% sure. I'm tripping out over this decision and really need some honest advice.

Re: HELP: Should I retake December?

Postby hobojarpen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Based on your situation and if you really believe you can improve towards 167+, applying within the end of this year with an improved score still gives you a fighting chance for top 20-30 schools.

But yeah, I was in your shoes. I took December '09 and scored a 160, December '10 and scored a 155, and I just took the October '11 exam and broke 170. I actually applied to schools in January of this year, so I can kind of relate to your situation.

While applying in December is not as early as you could apply, it certainly doesn't mean you'll be among the last to apply. Just make sure you have everything ready to be submitted as soon as you can (whether that means working on apps intermittently as you study for the LSAT or working on them with 100% attention as you wait for the score). Because other than the timing of application, it seems like you have a higher ceiling than what your score indicates, and if you can figure out what needs to be tweaked or tightened in your strategy, then I say go for it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”