When should I take the LSAT?

basketball law guy

When should I take the LSAT?

Postby basketball law guy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 am

I apologize if this is addressed in another thread but I did not see anything with my particular issues:

I am a junior and I play basketball at a mid-level school. My season runs from September (conditioning) thru mid-March. During the heart of the season I will spend 30-50 hours a week with practices, games and travel. There is little opportunity to study during this time. This will continue until March 15-20. Second semester will end May 15th. With these conditions- what would be the best date for me to take the LSAT? I may be able to fit in some LSAT prep after March 15th but we start conditioning again April 15th. June- out of school and practice but limited prep time. October test- summer to help study but I will be in practices for a month before the test? Do I need to be really intnese that month before the test- if so, June might be the best time. I am leaning toward June but I will have minimal prep time. I have a full load both semesters, this semester being slightly tougher than next semester. Business/accounting degree. Working hard and time management are my strengths, I am not sure how well I will do on the LSAT.

I have a 4.0 GPA but I anticipate this going down a little as my time commitment grows. I have only done a little studying using the Princeton book I got for Christmas. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

My preferred choice for law schools if I can get in: Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Thanks

bruss

Re: When should I take the LSAT?

Postby bruss » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 am

first off, throw the Princeton book away. Second purchase Powerscores LRB(Logic Reasoning Bible) and LGB(Logic Games Bible). Lastly you are the only one who truly knows how much free time you have. Why not just set aside an hour a day starting now to look over the bibles(LRB, LGB) and get a feel for the test and do the drills in the bibles. As you get more "free time" push it to 2-3hrs a day and so forth. To get the most out of the day maybe wake up earlier. And remember conditioning is maybe 5hrs(including prep such as eating/hydrating/mental focus) so during the conditioning months if you take a light summer or no summer classes you should have plenty of time to study.

Dont let that 4.0 go to waste/drop if you get a 167+ you will be laughing a about how you wanted to go to Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin LOLZ
If you get a 170+ you wont even remember the names of those schools

P.S. Start sucking up to professors now so you can get LOR's...having your coach write one wont hold that much weight
GL

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:46 am

The big advantage of taking the June test is that you can re-take in October if you're unhappy with your performance. An October score will come out in sufficient time to allow you to get your apps in pretty early in the cycle. December is borderline late. Though, I think I got my apps in early January and my cycle likely was completely unaffected (though, I didn't apply to the elite schools - targetted the midwest tier 1 outside of t14)

To answer your other question on how you should structure your studying, it's really individual. I studied probably about 10-15 hours a week for about 3 months and took a full week and studied took 5 PTs and crammed. Other people make it their fulltime job for several months. Others still, do something in between.

One thing you did not mention as an option: find a job post-graduation. Test-prepping while working a FT gig is not that bad and actually may seem significantly more doable than what you're doing now, especially with your BB commitments. Lots of companies love hiring college athletes, especially ones with strong GPAs. Would give you time to focus on your grades right now, enjoy your last year on campus, an opportunity to make some cash, and some time to focus on LSAT prep the right way.

basketball law guy

Postby basketball law guy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks to both of you for replying and sharing some advice and guidance. I see a case for taking the June test: I will have 2-4 weeks to soidly prepare (I don't think the June test date is out) with some preparation scattered throughout the second semester. I will be very busy through March 15th but will have some extra time until conditioning starts April 15th. I can also retake in October before basketball heats up even more. I will never complain about my basketball commitment- I like it and it pays for my education. I will look at buying the Powerscores books tonight. Thanks for the recommendations. I have no delusions of getting into a top14 school, I would be happy with top 40! I do have a 4.0 but I work hard and have good time management skills which helps with a tougher major. I am no brainiac- I got a 28 on my ACT. I am amazed by some of your scores!!

media2law

Postby media2law » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 pm

The exam is scheduled for June 11. Here is the link for future dates: http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/testdateweb.pdf

If it doesn't work, just search the LSAC website.

Good Luck!

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Given your massive commitment to basketball, why not just do well in your classes and wait until you graduate to worry about the LSAT? Take the year to learn the LSAT and get the very best score that you can.

hobojarpen

Postby hobojarpen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Screw the LSAT. Declare for the NBA Draft.

tedler

Postby tedler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basketball law guy

Postby basketball law guy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely something to think about. I have an offer to go to a bank in NYC after graduation. One of my professors recommended me to an alum, blah, blah, blah. I really have no desire to go work in a bank so I need to balance that out with a chance to go to NYC. I will defintely check back and let you know my plans. I am about to go into my basketball hibernation period. Good luck to all who are preparing for the LSAT and those who are waiting to be accepted into the school of their choice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”