Studying for Feb LSAT

seeodywhy

Studying for Feb LSAT

Postby seeodywhy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:26 am

I took my first practice test in August 2010 and haven't done any LSAT prep since. The first one I took was 16 and my results were as follows:
LG1:-14 ran out of time at question 18,
LR2:-11 ran out of time at question 19,
LR3:-6 ran out of time at question 21,
RC4:-13 ran out of time at question 22
Score: 150
Leading up to this I was fresh off of taking three semesters off school to work and I had a nine month old on my lab during two sections.
Yesterday, I took another practice test. Since the first one I took, I haven't done any prep. I finished all the sections except Logic Games with time remaining. I had about 3 hours of sleep between the previous three nights and my concentration waned at least once during each section.
LR1:-7 1:56 remaining
LG2:-15 ran out of time on question 19
LR3:-8 2:29 remaining
RC4-8 3:04 remaining
Score: 155
During each of the sections where I had time remaining I notice that my incorrect answers are grouped into clusters. In section 1 I have 4 out of 5 wrong in q's 20-24; section 3, 4 out of six in q's 20-25, and section 4; 4 of 4 in q's 14-17. I intend to use powerscore's logical reasoning bible to start off mostly because a friend of mine gave me her old copy and I was looking through the chapters and they have them broken down by question type but there are only a few drill questions that are from some pretty recent tests. I would much rather use their question types but from older tests. Is their someplace I can find a list of the question types, per test or otherwise, that uses powerscore's classifications? Based on the fact that I am not running out of time is there any advice anyone can give me about the best way to proceed.

Wow. I was sleepy last night. I goofed when I checked my answers. LR1 should be -4 and LR2 should be -5 giving me a 158 I believe. I didn't look at the raw score sheet. Sorry. I am going to take a pt tomorrow on a good nights sleep to get a more accurate score.
Last edited by seeodywhy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seeodywhy

Re: Studying for Feb LSAT

Postby seeodywhy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Is there someplace I can find a list of the question types, per test or otherwise, that uses powerscore's classifications?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm

seeodywhy wrote:Is there someplace I can find a list of the question types, per test or otherwise, that uses powerscore's classifications?

In the beginning of the Logical Reasoning Bible, or throughout the chapters. Every chapter has a heading for the question type it will be discussing.

I am also taking the February LSAT.

Good Luck!

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 pm

One thing I've made sure to myself is never take an exam when you're tired... It's a waste of your time and a potential exam!

How is your study regiment? Are you taking a course or just studying from the bibles?

seeodywhy

Postby seeodywhy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I am using the LR bible and the Big Fat Genius Guide to games. I can't really afford a course. I wound up taking the test tired because I told myself I was going to stop putting off taking a timed test. I messed up a few times overlooking the "except" at the end of a few stems. I am trying to establish a decent strategy before I fall into the trap of so many of wasting time for months and then figuring out what I should have been doing all the time.

NoleMatt

Postby NoleMatt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 pm

The Feb. test will be my first as well. I've got the LR and LG bibles and a ton of individual games (4 - 6 copies of each) grouped by the Powerscore types.

I have plenty of time to study after work, my biggest stumbling block is not knowing exactly how to study. One day I'll read through a bible and do some drills then do some practice LR questions, the next I'll do 3 new games and review a couple, then the next day i'll do a mixture of whatever. It's becoming very frustrating :?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:33 pm

seeodywhy wrote:Is there someplace I can find a list of the question types, per test or otherwise, that uses powerscore's classifications?

These categorizations may be along the lines of what you're looking for. They're not a perfect match, but most categorizations are fairly similar to each other.

seeodywhy

Postby seeodywhy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks Lsatblog. I just checked out your site. I just watched one of Dave's free vids and his method is akin to the genius guide to games. What is your opinion on it?

Nolematt, I believe the biggest part is figuring out what strategy to master early on. After searching I find there is almost no advice on the board concerning how to start. I see a lot of powerscore groupies. I am just worried about the deductions.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:11 am

Glad to help.

I'm not familiar with those methods, but if you give me a quick summary, I can let you know my thoughts.

As far as what strategy to master, most resources tend to recommend the same general strategy - learning to make inferences, rather than randomly drawing diagrams and just hoping to stumble across something. Being methodical is key.

Through exposure to real LSAT games, you'll start to get a sense of common types of deductions that the LSAT tests.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:21 am

If you cannot afford a course, the powerscore bibles are by far the best resource out there...buy all 3. If you can eventually afford a course, take that too to reinforce the concepts.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”