First PT Results. Help?

DaRascal

First PT Results. Help?

Postby DaRascal » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:05 am

My LSDAS right now is a 3.8 according to the LSDAS Calculator.
I'm also a URM (PR male)

I took a Kaplan PT the other day cold and got a 153. :cry:

LR -21
CR -8
LG -9

Any suggestions about where to go from here? My dream school is Harvard but I'll be happy to get into any of the T14.

emkay625

Re: First PT Results. Help?

Postby emkay625 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:19 am

A great score is not out of your reach. Search for Pithypike's studyguide using the forum search tool. It's really good.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:20 am

Went from 152 cold to 167 in October. Definitely feel like I have some more improvement left in me, deciding whether to retake in December for 170+ (just not sure if it's worth applying later in the cycle).

Everyone will tell you to get those games to -0 / -1....just keep practicing them over and over, it will come with time. As for the LR, drill the crap out the different question types. Grab the Powerscore books, do those, then grab the Manhattan books and review those. LSAT Blog has some good schedules to go by too, you should check those out.

To be honest, I feel like drilling the tougher games in PT 20's and 30's helped prepare me greatly for the "easier" games found in the more recent tests.

Good luck.

tedler

Postby tedler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:21 am

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:26 am

Honestly for a lot of people the LSAT isn't intuitive until they put a solid amount of time into the test; I'm a believer that cold diag. really don't mean as much as people want them to. I scored below 160 on my diag and improved by 15+ points. Just put the work in and you'll be fine.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. Also I was really shaky during this PT. I couldn't think straight during the first couple of sections, my hand was shaky, and I felt like just running out of the room at one point and tearing up the exam. I'm sure it cost me because there are moments in my answer key where I start a section with 4-5 wrong answers get 10 answers in a row correct and then revert to getting a couple more wrong.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:31 am

DaRascal wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. Also I was really shaky during this PT. I couldn't think straight during the first couple of sections, my hand was shaky, and I felt like just running out of the room at one point and tearing up the exam. I'm sure it cost me because there are moments in my answer key where I start a section with 4-5 wrong answers get 10 answers in a row correct and then revert to getting a couple more wrong.

As you study more your nerves will calm down (material will seem less foreign). Just take a deep breath: with your gpa and URM, you don't need perfection on the LSAT to still go to a top school. Just put the time in on the front end. Pick up any guide here. Or if its your style and you have the means, purchase a reputable prep course. That's what I did and I found it super helpful.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:46 am

DaRascal wrote:My LSDAS right now is a 3.8 according to the LSDAS Calculator.
I'm also a URM (PR male)

I took a Kaplan PT the other day cold and got a 153. :cry:

LR -21
CR -8
LG -9

Any suggestions about where to go from here? My dream school is Harvard but I'll be happy to get into any of the T14.

-10 average for each LR section actually isn't too terrible for your first time, especially if it's a cold diagnostic. The most troubling statistic is the -8 reading comprehension because that is the hardest to improve, in my opinion. You really want that to be at least cut in half or better at all times.

I recommend you first read the PowerScore logic games bible. That will really help you out. After you're done with that, read the Powerscore LR Bible or the Manhattan LR book (I prefer Manhattan's) while keeping the LG strategy fresh in your mind and improving by drilling with this book (http://www.amazon.com/GROUPED-Game-Type ... 0984199705). Then, I would take another PT, untimed. I say untimed because this will give you an idea of whether you understand what to do or not. If you get a good score untimed, you likely understand the concepts of the LSAT. From there, simply PT PT PT PT PT till the test, making sure you are using the proper time constraints and including a random experimental section. Mimic as closely as you can the test day scenario. This includes waking up early, eating and testing at 8AM every time. Find patterns of which games or LR types cause you trouble and find out why. If you still struggle with RC, get the PS or Manhattan book for that section.

Some may disagree with my strategy, but this is what I am doing currently and I am seeing good results in my prep. Hopefully it pays off in December.

Like others have said, you don't need much improvement with your GPA and minority status to get to a top law school, BUT you are certainly capable of 170+ it seems. Aim high my friend, and best of luck. If you ever need any help, send me a PM.

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 am

I went from 154 cold to 170-172 after going through the PS bibles (took 2.5 weeks, no PTs in between). My diagnostic was something like -10 per LR, -10 LG, and -4 RC. As long as you aren't cold scoring in say.. the 130s, anything's possible.

seanPtheB

Postby seanPtheB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:07 am

I diagnosed at a 154 in February, just took the October test and got a 173. A 153 is completely fine to diagnose at.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”