Should I retake?

User avatar
winning
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 am

Should I retake?

Postby winning » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Yes, I know, yet another retake thread. But any advice would be appreciated!

I just got my Oct. score back -- 170. GPA is 3.72, non-URM with WE. I had been PT'ing in the mid-170s, but I struggled with LG on the Oct. test and fell apart at the end of one of the LR sections.

Anyways, my top choice is Columbia, and I know I need a 172+ to remotely have a shot, but I would be happy at any of the T-6. Do I have any shot at the T-6 with a 170/3.72? Would an ED at any of CCN help?

Or should I retake in Dec. and take the risk of submitting apps late? What happens if I submit my apps now and let schools know that I will be retaking in Dec.? Does that give me better chances than just straight up submitting in January after I retake? What type of score increase would make it worth it to submit in January?

So many questions! Thanks in advance for the advice.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Should I retake?

Postby Kabuo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Under both medians = not a good shot. (Not checking, but going off memory, if 3.7 is above a median, go for it). I wouldn't retake unless you want to apply again next year. Late apps can be devastating. So can apps on hold for retakes.

User avatar
winning
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 am

Re: Should I retake?

Postby winning » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Kabuo wrote:Under both medians = not a good shot. (Not checking, but going off memory, if 3.7 is above a median, go for it). I wouldn't retake unless you want to apply again next year. Late apps can be devastating. So can apps on hold for retakes.


I'm right at the GPA median for Columbia (3.72). 2 points below LSAT median.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: Should I retake?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:43 pm

winning wrote:
Kabuo wrote:Under both medians = not a good shot. (Not checking, but going off memory, if 3.7 is above a median, go for it). I wouldn't retake unless you want to apply again next year. Late apps can be devastating. So can apps on hold for retakes.


I'm right at the GPA median for Columbia (3.72). 2 points below LSAT median.

ed. i'd ed nyu but im conservative.

User avatar
winning
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 am

Re: Should I retake?

Postby winning » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:46 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else have any thoughts on the cost/benefit of a retake?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bcapace, DumbHollywoodActor, jonny27, lawcapture, MSNbot Media, Pozzo, SunDevil14, The_Pluviophile, truelove244 and 10 guests