I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

mikeh
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby mikeh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi guys, I got a 141 as a cold diognostic about three months ago and scored 159 on the Oct. Lsat. I am currently scheduled to re-take it in December and I am aiming for 165. First off, is it a realistic goal considering the fact that we have about 5 weeks left? I need help with formulating a study plan that would get me to where I want. I welcome any advice anyone has to offer. I do appreciate the responses and cheers to all that got the score they wanted on the last LSAT.


Mike

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Powerscore bibles. If you see no improvement in PTs after those, then get the Manhattan books in what you're doing bad at. PT, PT, PT

Good luck

mikeh
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby mikeh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Powerscore bibles. If you see no improvement in PTs after those, then get the Manhattan books in what you're doing bad at. PT, PT, PT

Good luck


Should I go through the powerscore bibles even though I have already gone over the Manhattan one? I was originally planning on re-reading the Manhattan book because I don't want to confuse myself by going through new approaches.

User avatar
Alpine
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 am

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby Alpine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:59 pm

mikeh wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:Powerscore bibles. If you see no improvement in PTs after those, then get the Manhattan books in what you're doing bad at. PT, PT, PT

Good luck


Should I go through the powerscore bibles even though I have already gone over the Manhattan one? I was originally planning on re-reading the Manhattan book because I don't want to confuse myself by going through new approaches.


I would recommend it. Sometimes it helps to see different approaches, it helps you see new ways to consider things which you can use to adapt your own approach. Some PS methods might be more intuitive than Manhattan methods and vice versa.

d0nk
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 am

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby d0nk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:02 pm

Whether a 6 point jump is realistic depends on a bunch of factors - most notably your current level of knowledge + IQ. If 159 was achieved after intensive study then jumping 6 points will be much more difficult than if you have obvious leaks in your approach that can be easily corrected in the month.

The basic questions you'd need to answer before anyone can provide you with sound advice are:
1. How many Prep Tests have you taken?
2. What is your average number of mistakes per section?
3. What elements of the test do you struggle with in particular (a specific game type, passage topic, or LR question type)?
4. How many hours a day are you willing to devote

mikeh
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby mikeh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:14 pm

d0nk wrote:Whether a 6 point jump is realistic depends on a bunch of factors - most notably your current level of knowledge + IQ. If 159 was achieved after intensive study then jumping 6 points will be much more difficult than if you have obvious leaks in your approach that can be easily corrected in the month.

The basic questions you'd need to answer before anyone can provide you with sound advice are:
1. How many Prep Tests have you taken?
2. What is your average number of mistakes per section?
3. What elements of the test do you struggle with in particular (a specific game type, passage topic, or LR question type)?
4. How many hours a day are you willing to devote



Thanks for your reply friend. I probably took about 8 full PTs, but I used quite a few on just doing sections to work on timing. My weakest section is RC where I miss around 7. I miss around 6 questions for LR. My LG is pretty good although I flopped on gameday. I usually get 1-2 mistakes on that section. I do work full time but I can devote about 2 hours per day during the week and the weekends are pretty much open.

I don't think I have maxed out as far as my potential is concerned, I just feel like I'm doing something wrong but can't quite put my finger on it yet. What is the best LR book out there? I should be able to cut down a few wrong Qs from that section. Any other advice will be appreciated.

d0nk
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 am

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby d0nk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Are you thoroughly reviewing the pretests after you finish and understanding why you got any specific question wrong and resolving any questions you had while taking the test? Time spent reviewing can be far more productive than reading test prep books.

I have used Powerscore's LR bible and while I have been satisfied with the content I would not recommend it to someone with only 5 weeks to study. Their LR approach is based on a 15 question type classification that is a bit tedious and takes way more than a month to make it second nature.

The biggest key to LSAT success is honing your approach to make your responses second nature. If you are indeed keen on taking the December Lsat I would not recommend making any wholesale changes if you have a working approach already.

What resources have you already used to prepare and what would you say your comfort level is with that system?

mikeh
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby mikeh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 pm

d0nk wrote:Are you thoroughly reviewing the pretests after you finish and understanding why you got any specific question wrong and resolving any questions you had while taking the test? Time spent reviewing can be far more productive than reading test prep books.

I have used Powerscore's LR bible and while I have been satisfied with the content I would not recommend it to someone with only 5 weeks to study. Their LR approach is based on a 15 question type classification that is a bit tedious and takes way more than a month to make it second nature.

The biggest key to LSAT success is honing your approach to make your responses second nature. If you are indeed keen on taking the December Lsat I would not recommend making any wholesale changes if you have a working approach already.

What resources have you already used to prepare and what would you say your comfort level is with that system?



Honestly I can say that I know what steps that I have to take for most question types, but for some reason I divert from it during PTs. I have read the Manhattan Books, which I wouldn't say were bad, but then again thats the only book I've read. As far as the preptests, I can't say that I wholeheartedly understand all of my mistakes. Most of them I'm like aaahhaa after seeing the correct answer, but that's more of an illusion than understanding them thoroughly.

d0nk
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 am

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby d0nk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:54 pm

One strategy I used was creating a template with the optimal approach and then taking a full test one question at a time answering the template prompts as you go. You then write (or type) the answers to each and every one of these questions (or whatever questions are appropriate for the approach you are using). This may seem tedious and time consuming but by the time you go through 3 full pretests you will realize that approaches become second nature to you.

Just a brief example of a LR template:

What is the conclusion?
-what is the conclusions scope?
What premises support the conclusion?
-what are their scope?
Is the argument valid or invalid?
What are the flaws in the argument?

Identify the question type
-What tasks are associated with this question?

Prephrase the correct answer

Why is each answer choice incorrect?
A)
B)
C)
D)
E)
Why is the correct answer correct?

What did I learn in this question?

mikeh
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby mikeh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:01 pm

d0nk wrote:One strategy I used was creating a template with the optimal approach and then taking a full test one question at a time answering the template prompts as you go. You then write (or type) the answers to each and every one of these questions (or whatever questions are appropriate for the approach you are using). This may seem tedious and time consuming but by the time you go through 3 full pretests you will realize that approaches become second nature to you.

Just a brief example of a LR template:

What is the conclusion?
-what is the conclusions scope?
What premises support the conclusion?
-what are their scope?
Is the argument valid or invalid?
What are the flaws in the argument?

Identify the question type
-What tasks are associated with this question?

Prephrase the correct answer

Why is each answer choice incorrect?
A)
B)
C)
D)
E)
Why is the correct answer correct?

What did I learn in this question?


I see...very interesting friend, will definitely put it to use. I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me out. I think this is the best way to go considering the fact that I have roughly a little over a month to go.

d0nk
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 am

Re: I need help with coming up with a study plan for Dec.

Postby d0nk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:13 pm

...it takes time and it's not fun, but if you really want the results and are willing to do the hard work necessary to achieve them, you will be pleased by the results.

I'd wish you good luck but luck is for losers; winners make their own luck




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badhombre, BlackWillHunting, cherrygalore, CHyde, cooldog, dontsaywhatyoumean, jdanz, LewD33, mrgstephe, theboringest, wildquest8200 and 14 guests