Disappointed. Retaking vs. Applying

quintessence

Disappointed. Retaking vs. Applying

Postby quintessence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey guys, first time poster (long time lurker).

I consistently PT'd in the 170s but had a pretty substantial test day drop to 165. My lsac GPA is 3.91, strong recs, pretty good softs. Ideally I'd like to retake and aim to breach the 170s, but this would probably mean sitting out a cycle. Do people ever submit their applications while retaking in December, and then reapplying if the score comes in better?

Mal Reynolds

Re: Disappointed. Retaking vs. Applying

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm

People definitely do that, although they do it at a disadvantage compared to other applicants. So it just depends on how high you can make your december score and where you're willing to go without money because I think schools are a lot less likely to give scholarships later in the cycle. With that high of a GPA you can ED to UVA and maybe get in but other than that the top14 will be tough with your lsat. Consensus on TLS is to retake and get some work experience if you're dead-set on t14.

quintessence

Postby quintessence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:59 pm

You mean you are at a disadvantage if a school is considering your application for the second time?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:18 pm

quintessence wrote:You mean you are at a disadvantage if a school is considering your application for the second time?

No you're at a disadvantage applying late, i.e. after the december LSAT scores are released. Schools have already filled up their classes to a large extent and given out scholly money. There are plenty of people who underperform their numbers simply because they apply late. So if you do well on your retake but don't get into schools you are realistically a strong candidate for, maybe wait another year and reapply. I don't think you are at a disadvantage reapplying to any schools you are dinged for the previous year but other people would know more about that topic.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 pm

quintessence wrote:Hey guys, first time poster (long time lurker).

I consistently PT'd in the 170s but had a pretty substantial test day drop to 165. My lsac GPA is 3.91, strong recs, pretty good softs. Ideally I'd like to retake and aim to breach the 170s, but this would probably mean sitting out a cycle. Do people ever submit their applications while retaking in December, and then reapplying if the score comes in better?

If I were in your situation I would apply now, and take the Dec test. I would call each school to which you apply to tell them you are taking the Dec test, but to evaluate you as is. If they get back to you before you get your score (and I think your GPA would get you at least a WL at the T14), you can point to a higher Dec. LSAT in your LOCI. Some schools though may just not look at your file until Dec anyway.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 pm

quintessence wrote:Hey guys, first time poster (long time lurker).

Your GPA is great, and is above 75% for almost every school. My brother got into UC Berkeley a few years ago with 3.85/164 (but that's Berkeley). Unless you're really set on pursuing HYS, you already have a decent shot at some of T14 (at sticker).

learntolift

Postby learntolift » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:29 pm

i went from a 160 to a 177, and apparently harvard averages, nooooo lol

winning

Postby winning » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote: I don't think you are at a disadvantage reapplying to any schools you are dinged for the previous year but other people would know more about that topic.

I'm interested in the answer to this. I'm considering submitting my apps now and retaking in Dec. as well. If I get dinged by schools presumably because I submit my app late during this cycle, will I be at a disadvantage re-applying to the same schools early in the next cycle? This is assuming my re-take results in an improved score.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”