Devastated 153

gohabsgo

Devastated 153

Postby gohabsgo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:58 am

I'll be quick. Last October, with minimal prep, I made a 152 on the LSAT. I blundered big time on the logic games and reading comp. I only took a few practice tests and scored around 155-157, so I guess it wasn't that surprising, though I did better on the actual test in everything but the LG.

I re-took this October, having studied with the LG bible and LR bible. I also took around 8 practice tests, all with scores around 159-165. When I received my score, it was a 153....I had missed 11 in the LG section when I normally missed only 1 or 2 in that section in all of my practice tests. My score would've raised exponentially had I only missed 2 or 3, but now i'm almost at a loss.

I live in a small state and only ever wanted to go to one of our universities, for tuition reasons. However, the main university school of law may be a long shot, while the smaller one, the one my LSAT gives me a better shot at getting in, seems to have a tougher admissions process.

Since i've already taken the LSAT twice, and a retake in December is out of the question. I just feel that i've been horribly wounded by the logic games. I always have a sweeping anxiety when I start them, and on the test day this is more true than ever. I've contemplated retaking in jun or oct 2012, but only if I'm not admitted to either school, and this time taking a prep class. I do remain nervous though that schools may really frown on taking the lsat 3 times if it were to come to it.

Any advice?

Curious1

Re: Devastated 153

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 pm

:\ Sorry about that dude. This is gonna sound harsh but your best option is to not go--at least for a few years. Work a bit, wait for your LSAT to expire (?), and re-take and apply then if you still want to.

gohabsgo

Postby gohabsgo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Curious1 wrote::\ Sorry about that dude. This is gonna sound harsh but your best option is to not go--at least for a few years. Work a bit, wait for your LSAT to expire (?), and re-take and apply then if you still want to.

I did think about doing that. The only thing I've got going for me regarding my state schools is that they do take the higher LSAT.

MTal

Postby MTal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm

gohabsgo wrote: Any advice?

Yeah, forget about law school and go do something productive with your life.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 pm

MTal wrote:

^^Don't listen to this guy^^. He's bitter because he dropped out of law school. His only consolation is coming on here to pretend that he's billing $800/h without a JD.

Just take the LSAT again and spend more time studying than you did before.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:10 pm

3|ink wrote:
MTal wrote:

^^Don't listen to this guy^^. He's bitter because he dropped out of law school. His only consolation is coming on here to pretend that he's billing $800/h without a JD.

Probably not a great idea. Even if he gets a 180 in December those two bad scores will hurt a lot. I'd have to say wait a couple of cycles.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Curious1 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
MTal wrote:

Probably not a great idea. Even if he gets a 180 in December those two bad scores will hurt a lot. I'd have to say wait a couple of cycles.

Schools don't average scores any more. While many T14 schools still look at past scores, most T50 schools don't. Unless he's shooting for T14, I see no reason he shouldn't re-take AFTER some solid prep.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Schools don't average scores any more. While many T14 schools still look at past scores, most T50 schools don't. Unless he's shooting for T14, I see no reason he shouldn't re-take.

Of course he should be shooting for a T14...if not now then in 2 years.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:18 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Schools don't average scores any more. While many T14 schools still look at past scores, most T50 schools don't. Unless he's shooting for T14, I see no reason he shouldn't re-take.

Of course he should be shooting for a T14...if not now then in 2 years.

I believe it takes five years for your LSAT scores to expire. The two year rule is that you can only take the test three times within a two year period.

gthopeful

Postby gthopeful » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Plus even many of the t14s don't average if your scores are far apart so if he was to gain 10 points even the t14s would consider his high score

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Good luck to you! What prep companies are you considering?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Curious1 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
MTal wrote:

This is just terribly incorrect for most schools. I applied with three takes, and while the two lower scores may have had a marginal negative effect, it was not significant.

OP: You need to be devoting a lot more time to your LSAT prep, whether you decide to retake in December or if you decide to wait a year to apply and take in feb or June. If you want to wait a few years before applying, that's fine. But it's by no means necessary, since most schools will not judge you too harshly for taking 3 times, as long as you have one high score that they like.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”