So Frustrated with my score

sjohnson4382

So Frustrated with my score

Postby sjohnson4382 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 am

I took the LSAT in 2008 with a fair amount of prep and got a 156. Obviously that didn't get me into South Carolina as my GPA is a 3.1 (I have been out of school since 2004). I took a few years and continued working and decided to bust my butt in prepping again to try and get into Carolina. My timed practice tests over the past month or two before the October test were all mid 160s with a few creeping up closer to 170. When it came to test day the LG killed me bc of game 3 (LG is where i make most of my points as i normally do not miss any or 2 at most). Everything else that I have learned really over the last 3 years just seemed to go out the window on test day and I ended up with another 156. I am almost to the point of being devastated it is so disappointing. I have already signed up for the Dec. test in hopes I can get it up to get into Carolina for Fall 2012. I am going ahead and submitting my app with the note that I am retaking in December. Any tips to help with what I'm assuming is just horrible test anxiety?

CanadianWolf

Re: So Frustrated with my score

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:09 am

It might generate more detailed responses if you share how you prepared for the LSAT.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

The sooner we realize that we're not special snowflakes the better imho.

You're 156 x2, which means it's not indicative of ONE bad day or just some anomaly. It means you're either a) chronically anxious which would mean that a 156 is consistent with your PERFORMANCE (read: NOT potential) or b) just in the 156 range.

This is assuming you did a reasonable amount of study.

Take your two tests and break them down. Find out what your weaknesses are in LR/LG/RC. What types of questions give you issues. Then drill those questions.

Also, realize you're not getting a 180. Sorry bro. Neither am I. In your case, getting a 165 would be awesome. A 165 is a great score for anyone, so prepare knowing what you need to get for a 165 or 170..or whatever your realistic goal is.

For example, lets just look at the Oct. test. Lets say you're consistently -8LRx2 -5RC and then you just bombed your LG.

Think of why you bombed it. Did you run out of time? did you get hung up on one question? Because, you could miss 7 questions and still have gotten a 160 which is a big jump from a 156 as far as schools are concerned. If you're taking your LG and you're simply facing a advanced grouping game that is Fing your world up, skip it? GO back. Focus your time on your other 3 games then come back to it and try and snag at least the first few questions on it that rely on more simple inferences.

If your tests are pretty consistent with your PTs then it's not some freak case of anxiety. I imagine anxiety can account for a small drop in the score, but I don't think two 156s are consistent for someone with the natural aptitude to score in the 170s.

That's not to say you can't score a 170. It just means that you're going to have to know a lot more about the workings of the test and be much more strategic about it than someone who can sit down and score in the 170s. :)

Take it from someone who made a big jump from an anxious 148.

sjohnson4382

Postby sjohnson4382 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I prepped in 2008 with PS LR & LG bibles as I did this last time also. I went -5 on LG, -14 total on LR, and a wretched -16 on RC this time. The prior time I did not do any RC prep, however this time I used Atlas and was doing pretty darn good on PT's using their tips, however guess my anxiety threw that out the window, I end up thinking about the time the whole time instead of the test. I'm not looking to get a 170 as I'm looking for 163ish which is all I need to get into S. Carolina (not worried about scholarship $ at this point). It's just so disappointing to be practicing in mid 160s and end up mid 150s. Even worse is i took PT 20 last night, timed, and busted out a 169. I think I've read every RC passage I have (about 25 prep tests) at least twice and its not transferring to actual test.

sjohnson4382

Postby sjohnson4382 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm

my other issue is that i took it twice in 2008-152 cold and second was 156. Obviously i just took it a 3rd time although its been 3 years since my 2nd attempt and December will be 4 total. Hoping that the school will look at the large space between test attempts and not use the first 2 against me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”