Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 am

How was your experience with Velocity?
Was this a re-take or your first go? What score(s) did you get?
Did you find the forum available on the Velocity page to be supportive?
How was the course in terms of time? Would it be easy to balance the syllabus with working full-time (9-5, M-F)?
Overall, would you recommend Dave's class?


Thanks for any help guys!




(woo 500 posts)
Last edited by Easy-E on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheRise
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 am

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby OnTheRise » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:34 pm

I am also curious about this because I am debating between Velocity or Powerscore

User avatar
seancris
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby seancris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Didn't use Velocity for October since I reached my goal score in June, but Velocity was going to be part of my backup plan.

I used all of the free Velocity resources, particularly Dave's question-by-question analysis of the June 2007 LSAT, in the weeks leading up to the June exam. I felt that it helped me somewhat with LR and games, and Dave seems to do a great job teaching.

Last I checked it was $500 for his online course along with a workbooks and other materials, I felt that it looked like a good resource for the price.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:39 pm

seancris wrote:Didn't use Velocity for October since I reached my goal score in June, but Velocity was going to be part of my backup plan.

I used all of the free Velocity resources, particularly Dave's question-by-question analysis of the June 2007 LSAT, in the weeks leading up to the June exam. I felt that it helped me somewhat with LR and games, and Dave seems to do a great job teaching.

Last I checked it was $500 for his online course along with a workbooks and other materials, I felt that it looked like a good resource for the price.


Its 600 for the comprehensive course (though I heard word of a 20% coupon for retakers?) I believe. I checked out all the free materials, and Dave's running thread on this board, and I found it extremely impressive. His method of attack for LG seems like it would lend itself well to the issues I'm having with the section. I will more than likely be purchasing the package and doing it for 12 weeks before the February exam. I like how you get 8 months of access, so the materials would be available for the June LSAT, although I suppose you'd need to repurchase some tests (or have made copies prior).

d0nk
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby d0nk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:58 pm

I think the optimal test preparation depends on your learning style + existing specific skill set / weaknesses.

I too have flirted with Dave's free resources on this board and his website. For me, his teaching style is a bit too "fluffy" for lack of a better term. Personally, I do better with nuts and bolts instruction and get distracted easily by any extraneous info. That said, he clearly is knowledgable about the test and his approach my be optimal for you.

Any of the major test prep services can supply the foundation for LSAT success - which works best for you is a personal decision.

Good luck,
adam

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 am

d0nk wrote:I think the optimal test preparation depends on your learning style + existing specific skill set / weaknesses.

I too have flirted with Dave's free resources on this board and his website. For me, his teaching style is a bit too "fluffy" for lack of a better term. Personally, I do better with nuts and bolts instruction and get distracted easily by any extraneous info. That said, he clearly is knowledgable about the test and his approach my be optimal for you.

Any of the major test prep services can supply the foundation for LSAT success - which works best for you is a personal decision.

Good luck,
adam



When you say fluff, do you mean all the jokes and that kind of thing?
Last edited by Easy-E on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:03 am

No one on TLS used Velocity?

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:59 am

buump

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby American_in_China » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:39 am

Go for it. As I said in his thread, I think his advice gave me the edge to get 3 to 5 more points (179). Before reading his entire thread, I was PTing at 176 avg. In my 5 tests after, I had 179, 180, 176, 180, 180. And then i got my 179 on the October LSAT. He's jokes around a lot, but his analysis is deeper than any other company I've seen, and he explains the trends associated with different questions (like on essentially all inference questions the weaker (statement strength) answer is usually right because it is easier to prove & that more than half of RC is inference). I was actually teaching for another company at the time, and they don't go anywhere near the depth he does.

Anyways, its a cheap course, you can access it online anytime, and he's clearly available for individual questions. I think its well worth the investment.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby hyakku » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:01 pm

American_in_China wrote:Go for it. As I said in his thread, I think his advice gave me the edge to get 3 to 5 more points (179). Before reading his entire thread, I was PTing at 176 avg. In my 5 tests after, I had 179, 180, 176, 180, 180. And then i got my 179 on the October LSAT. He's jokes around a lot, but his analysis is deeper than any other company I've seen, and he explains the trends associated with different questions (like on essentially all inference questions the weaker (statement strength) answer is usually right because it is easier to prove & that more than half of RC is inference). I was actually teaching for another company at the time, and they don't go anywhere near the depth he does.

Anyways, its a cheap course, you can access it online anytime, and he's clearly available for individual questions. I think its well worth the investment.


Good to hear man, I experienced the same in my pts. Still waiting on my score so I can't give feedback for now, but i left feeling pretty confident, so whenever I get it I'll find out.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 am

hyakku wrote:
American_in_China wrote:Go for it. As I said in his thread, I think his advice gave me the edge to get 3 to 5 more points (179). Before reading his entire thread, I was PTing at 176 avg. In my 5 tests after, I had 179, 180, 176, 180, 180. And then i got my 179 on the October LSAT. He's jokes around a lot, but his analysis is deeper than any other company I've seen, and he explains the trends associated with different questions (like on essentially all inference questions the weaker (statement strength) answer is usually right because it is easier to prove & that more than half of RC is inference). I was actually teaching for another company at the time, and they don't go anywhere near the depth he does.

Anyways, its a cheap course, you can access it online anytime, and he's clearly available for individual questions. I think its well worth the investment.


Good to hear man, I experienced the same in my pts. Still waiting on my score so I can't give feedback for now, but i left feeling pretty confident, so whenever I get it I'll find out.


Also interested to know how you did. I'm 99% sure I'm going to enroll the comprehensive Velocity course though. The reviews have all been quite glowing, I've found the free materials to be quite helpful, and Dave seems extremely knowledgeable, and more importantly, very accessible in terms of support.

User avatar
ggibelli
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby ggibelli » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 am

I used it and improved 10 points on my LSAT from 151 to 161. Dave's approach is fluid and I recommend Velocity for how well the material is taught!

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:46 am

ggibelli wrote:I used it and improved 10 points on my LSAT from 151 to 161. Dave's approach is fluid and I recommend Velocity for how well the material is taught!



Nice improvement. Did you use the full comprehensive course, or just a specific section? Obviously with any course, it's all about what I put into it, but it's nice to hear these positive results! I pulled a 161 on Octobers test after PTing around 163-165. With my poor GPA, I'd really like to earn >170 though, so I'm hoping a more structured approach to prepping will be what I need.

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Just want to throw this out there, because I've never seen this company mentioned on TLS and I think it's a hidden gem. Law Methods, and particularly David Yi. I always scored in the 160s, I mean you can see from my previous posts how many times I've taken the test :oops: ) I used David and Law Methods for the Oct test, and I got a 177.

Also, please keep in mind that I have gone through the Blueprint online course and Testmasters. I don't know much about Velocity - but those of you that are seeking a huge score increase just might want to check out Law Methods.

User avatar
ggibelli
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby ggibelli » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 pm

emarxnj wrote:
ggibelli wrote:I used it and improved 10 points on my LSAT from 151 to 161. Dave's approach is fluid and I recommend Velocity for how well the material is taught!



Nice improvement. Did you use the full comprehensive course, or just a specific section? Obviously with any course, it's all about what I put into it, but it's nice to hear these positive results! I pulled a 161 on Octobers test after PTing around 163-165. With my poor GPA, I'd really like to earn >170 though, so I'm hoping a more structured approach to prepping will be what I need.


i did the comprehensive course. RC is my worst section. Daves method had me consistently going -0/-1 on LG and for Oct 11's tough games i managed a respectable -2. His LR approach for each question is very helpful and once you become methodical you will really make progress. I'd order it asap because it takes a few days for the material to get to your house. But i dont doubt you cant break into 170 if you take it. Dave's teaching style is great and he's always there to help.

Goodluck!

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh also emarxnj - this may be relevant to you. My first score on an LSAT was a 161 - so I had a 16 pt jump to a 177.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:29 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Oh also emarxnj - this may be relevant to you. My first score on an LSAT was a 161 - so I had a 16 pt jump to a 177.



Was this a live course?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Bump. Anyone else take this course?

kyeyeoni27
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby kyeyeoni27 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:40 pm

emarxnj wrote:No one on TLS used Velocity?


Currently im taking Dave's Velocity. ( I took Kaplan and Princeton before... Kaplan just textbooks are good)
Till now, i actually like it and enjoy the lectures he made.
And also, most importantly, he motivates and care for you!!
He tries to write every comment, email ASAP

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby hyakku » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:58 pm

I used a good amount of Velocity prep for Oct. I wish I had had more time to solidify my options, but without a doubt Dave's system is what pushed me over the 170+ hill through my PTs and got me a solid 170 test day. I read a few chapters in PS before I took my first PT which was around a 162 or 3, so without that probably would've been about a 155-157. My highest PT was a 176 by the time I was done with Dave's stuff, and I really only had a good three weeks to internalize the material.

I definitely think his is the most comprehensive in terms of accessibility, modernity and efficiency. You can look at my old posts to see how much I used Dave's stuff, but I think his is the easiest, fastest way to effectively improve your score. I think my biggest problem was probably not PTing all the time with 5 sections in my last week and a half of testing, I didn't realize it but I made a few careless errors that I haven't made in a while on my main test in Oct. despite feeling extraordinarily confident. Don't get complacent, and don't underestimate potential fatigue, even if you feel fine, get your brain accustomed to those 5 section PTs in the last week and with Dave's sytem I really think most people can guarantee themselves at least a 167+

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:16 am

hyakku wrote:I used a good amount of Velocity prep for Oct. I wish I had had more time to solidify my options, but without a doubt Dave's system is what pushed me over the 170+ hill through my PTs and got me a solid 170 test day. I read a few chapters in PS before I took my first PT which was around a 162 or 3, so without that probably would've been about a 155-157. My highest PT was a 176 by the time I was done with Dave's stuff, and I really only had a good three weeks to internalize the material.

I definitely think his is the most comprehensive in terms of accessibility, modernity and efficiency. You can look at my old posts to see how much I used Dave's stuff, but I think his is the easiest, fastest way to effectively improve your score. I think my biggest problem was probably not PTing all the time with 5 sections in my last week and a half of testing, I didn't realize it but I made a few careless errors that I haven't made in a while on my main test in Oct. despite feeling extraordinarily confident. Don't get complacent, and don't underestimate potential fatigue, even if you feel fine, get your brain accustomed to those 5 section PTs in the last week and with Dave's sytem I really think most people can guarantee themselves at least a 167+



Glad to hear you had a good experience. I received my materials for the comprehensive course last week and am starting the course next week. If anyone else is using Velocity for the February test, let me know and we can help each other out.

hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby hooma » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:26 am

emarxnj wrote:Glad to hear you had a good experience. I received my materials for the comprehensive course last week and am starting the course next week. If anyone else is using Velocity for the February test, let me know and we can help each other out.


I'm pretty sure I am, what's this about a 20% coupon for retakers??

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby hyakku » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:16 am

hooma wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Glad to hear you had a good experience. I received my materials for the comprehensive course last week and am starting the course next week. If anyone else is using Velocity for the February test, let me know and we can help each other out.


I'm pretty sure I am, what's this about a 20% coupon for retakers??


Indeed, there's a coupon for retakes, I'll try to dredge up Daves old post and get you the info in a few hours once I'm at work.

User avatar
Easy-E
Posts: 5690
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 am

hooma wrote:
emarxnj wrote:Glad to hear you had a good experience. I received my materials for the comprehensive course last week and am starting the course next week. If anyone else is using Velocity for the February test, let me know and we can help each other out.


I'm pretty sure I am, what's this about a 20% coupon for retakers??



From what I've gathered, its for someone who has used another prep course, and is now retaking. I could be wrong though, but I didn't take a formal class, just used materials so I figured I was out.

Do you know which syllabus you plan to follow (12 week, 10 week, etc) ?

hooma
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Anyone who used Velocity LSAT for October LSAT?

Postby hooma » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:30 am

Probably the 10 week, since I'm not planning on starting until after Thanksgiving, once I get all my apps in. This will be my 4th time taking the test (1st score was more than 2 years ago) so I'm applying with the score(s) I have now and seeing what happens in February. If I do marginally better, maybe it will get me off wait lists. If I do worse, it shouldn't have any impact. If I do way better, then I know I should wait and reapply next year.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests