Is 5 weeks enough time?

bernaldiaz

Is 5 weeks enough time?

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 am

If I started studying at the very end of October and studies straight through until test day (Dec 3?), do you think I would have enough time to prepare sufficiently? I will have a unique chance to focus solely on my LSAT preparation during this time, whereas if I waited and took the exam in February I would have to study while back at University for the final few weeks. I can't imagine that if I really committed myself that I would need any more than 5 full weeks to prepare. That is a lot of time when LSAT prep is your only commitment. Thoughts?

bernaldiaz

Re: Is 5 weeks enough time?

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:58 am

Anyone?

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:02 am

Last edited by ThreeRivers on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 am

What is your goal / where are you now?

Here is my 5 week journey for this October LSAT

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165010

I was happy with the results and I only studied for 5 weeks, but I 100% made LSAT my life (Constantly telling friends I can't go out / grades probably suffered slightly, etc..)

Edit: Summary of that thread:
- Need to cram, want a 165
-Taking original COLD diagnostic (not knowing anything about LSAT and becoming so frustrated / doing so horribly on it I just quit in the middle of it )
- Me spending 2 weeks going cover to cover in LG Bibles / LR Bible and re-taking a PT and getting a 159
- Me getting lots of advice from Tiago Splitter/ MinnBills on how to improve LG / RC
- Ending up PTing regularly at 163-164
- Me panicking about a week before the test when I took a PT under more strict conditions (watch not IPhone timer / noisy area / 5 sections, etc) and I BOMBED it
- Spending week before working with all these conditions

Ending:
Getting a 167 on LSAT

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:10 am

ThreeRivers wrote:What is your goal / where are you now?

I was happy with the results and I only studied for 5 weeks, but I 100% made LSAT my life (Constantly telling friends I can't go out / grades probably suffered slightly, etc..)

Thank you, very relevant post. To match the potential of my GPA (3.98), I'd need to get into the low 170's to feel like I would have a chance to get into the schools that my GPA afforded me. I would also be able to make LSAT 100% my focus, because it looks like I won't be in school for the rest of this semester, which is sort of why I think this is the opportune time. I won't even have maintaining grades as a concern, but can make the LSAT truly a full time job. I haven't taken a full cold diag, but am generally a very strong standardized test taker (which I know is less than entirely relevant), but on other entrance exams I am almost never outside of the 98th/99th percentile, so I think that indicates I at least have the potential to get there on the LSAT. I guess I could just prep up until the last day to withdraw (how close to test day is that??) and see where I am at that point?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:11 am

Edit: Summary of that thread:
- Need to cram, want a 165
-Taking original COLD diagnostic (not knowing anything about LSAT and becoming so frustrated / doing so horribly on it I just quit in the middle of it )
- Me spending 2 weeks going cover to cover in LG Bibles / LR Bible and re-taking a PT and getting a 159
- Me getting lots of advice from Tiago Splitter/ MinnBills on how to improve LG / RC
- Ending up PTing regularly at 163-164
- Me panicking about a week before the test when I took a PT under more strict conditions (watch not IPhone timer / noisy area / 5 sections, etc) and I BOMBED it
- Spending week before working with all these conditions

Ending:
Getting a 167 on LSAT

Also, congrats on beating your LSAT goal, that must have felt great.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 am

bernaldiaz wrote:

Thank you, very relevant post. To match the potential of my GPA (3.98), I'd need to get into the low 170's to feel like I would have a chance to get into the schools that my GPA afforded me. I would also be able to make LSAT 100% my focus, because it looks like I won't be in school for the rest of this semester, which is sort of why I think this is the opportune time. I won't even have maintaining grades as a concern, but can make the LSAT truly a full time job. I haven't taken a full cold diag, but am generally a very strong standardized test taker (which I know is less than entirely relevant), but on other entrance exams I am almost never outside of the 98th/99th percentile, so I think that indicates I at least have the potential to get there on the LSAT. I guess I could just prep up until the last day to withdraw (how close to test day is that??) and see where I am at that point?

I'm not sure when you can withdrawal / reschedule, I believe you can find that on LSAC website... if not just call LSAC (believe it or not I called over a couple issue / questions and they are actually REALLY helpful and have no wait time at all). Kind of shocked me with how helpful their customer support is.

It is really hard to state if you can get into the 170's in such a time period unless you take a PT. I really recommend getting some background knowledge of the LSAT before doing so. I took my original diagnostic completely cold (didn't even know what a Logic Game was) and it just frustrated me / I don't really feel it represents anything. After going through the Bibles I took another diagnostic (159), so I guess I jumped 8 points from that in a short time period. A lot went right on the test, but I actually erased my final question last SECOND and changed it to something else just because I physched myself out (my original answer was correct). If I didn't get that last minute scribble in I'd actually have gotten a 168 (+9 from where I started).

My advice:
Go through the Bibles hardcore (at least LG / LR to start), but RC Bible actually helped me a TON (even though it is by far the least recommended by others)
Take a diagnostic PT
If you get a 159 / 160ish I'd say it is reasonable to attempt to get a 170 (won't be easy obviously)
I also never really got the LG's down like most on TLS.... The general consensus here is if you drill enough you can end up making that a -0 , -1 section. If I would have been able to do that I would have got a 170+, so maybe you can be more successful in that category than I was

Thanks, I was pretty excited

Edit: Make sure you practice under strict conditions, as I mentioned I bombed my first time I did this... many people experience this first time bomb on the actual test

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:35 am

Thank you, great advice. Once I actually sort out what's going to happen this semester (I'm at Oxbridge for the year, absolutely hating it and planning on withdrawing), I'll know for sure what my options are. If I leave, I'm definitely going to hit the LSAT books hard whether I want to take the test in December or not, just so I don't feel as though I entirely wasted the semester.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 am

5 weeks is possible but youve gotta be able to legitimately devote a ton of time, i taught an LSAT course for kaplan that prepped people for October from end of august to september, you can make great improvements if you have the ability to really force yourself to study.

Personally, i studied for only about 6 weeks got a 170 and was done with it. Powerscore is pretty solid stuff.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:05 am

dstars823 wrote:5 weeks is possible but youve gotta be able to legitimately devote a ton of time, i taught an LSAT course for kaplan that prepped people for October from end of august to september, you can make great improvements if you have the ability to really force yourself to study.

Personally, i studied for only about 6 weeks got a 170 and was done with it. Powerscore is pretty solid stuff.

Like I said above, LSAT prep will literally be (beyond eating and sleeping) my only responsibility during this time period. No job, no school. I think I could get the production of 10 weeks of studying into 5 weeks. I cant imagine that if I truly give a full for 5 weeks that much more time would be too significant of a help anyways. Five weeks of devotion to one thing and one thing only is a very long time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”