Wretched RC section/re-take?

squintspalledorous

Wretched RC section/re-take?

Postby squintspalledorous » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 am

I know that the decision to retake is largely a personal one, but I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting any potential hidden considerations.

My GPA is 3.5, and my October LSAT came back at 168. I was really trying to hit 170 and my PT avg was right around 170/171 for the last couple of weeks. Upon looking at my score sheet, I immediately noticed that a horrible RC section was the death of me. I got -11 due to running out of time, while my other three sections were -2, -1, and -0. The thing is, RC used to be one of my stronger sections, and I've even gotten -0 on RC recently on a PT. Now obviously some RC sections are a lot easier, but I can't help but think that I can finish around 170-171 in December, assuming that I study during these next 6 weeks.

Based on law school predictor and LSN, I apparently top out around USC/WUSTL range schools with my current score, and wanted to at least have a shot at PMV, Duke etc. I haven't scored below 168 in a long time on PTs, but I am aware that another 168 or lower would obviously be detrimental to my cycle... I think I just need people to talk it out with me on this gut-wrenching score that could go either way. Thanks.

rabbitrun

Re: Wretched RC section/re-take?

Postby rabbitrun » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:24 am

I know how you feel! I haven't looked at mine that closely because looking at my RC section makes me sad. I was doing so well and then I just ate it on RC. They did get so much harder in recent PTs. I have a learning disability with reading and really don't want to pull the whole disability extra time card because its bs. I got a 165 because of the RC while I hadn't PTed below 170 in weeks.

I'm retaking and focusing on RC when studying (i will admit that I had neglected it a bit in LG obsessiveness.) You still have some good options but it seems like you know that you can do better. Why do you have to apply this cycle? You still would do well this cycle. Personally, I would take it again (and I am) and apply next cycle.

squintspalledorous

Postby squintspalledorous » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:22 pm

I guess it's at least good to know that other people suffered the same fate. Good luck on your retake.

I would really prefer not to have to wait for the next cycle due to various reasons, but now I'm wondering if a 168 applying now is equivalent to a 169/170 applying after December..

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:30 pm

squintspalledorous wrote:I know that the decision to retake is largely a personal one, but I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting any potential hidden considerations.

My GPA is 3.5, and my October LSAT came back at 168. I was really trying to hit 170 and my PT avg was right around 170/171 for the last couple of weeks. Upon looking at my score sheet, I immediately noticed that a horrible RC section was the death of me. I got -11 due to running out of time, while my other three sections were -2, -1, and -0. The thing is, RC used to be one of my stronger sections, and I've even gotten -0 on RC recently on a PT. Now obviously some RC sections are a lot easier, but I can't help but think that I can finish around 170-171 in December, assuming that I study during these next 6 weeks.

Based on law school predictor and LSN, I apparently top out around USC/WUSTL range schools with my current score, and wanted to at least have a shot at PMV, Duke etc. I haven't scored below 168 in a long time on PTs, but I am aware that another 168 or lower would obviously be detrimental to my cycle... I think I just need people to talk it out with me on this gut-wrenching score that could go either way. Thanks.

You may have already tried this, but I had a student who was routinely missing 11 to 12 questions on RC. I gave him 20 RC passages from previous exams and told him to complete them over the weekend. After that, he missed 1, maybe 2. If you can dedicate yourself to knocking out that many RC passages, review them for what you did right/wrong, and do it back to back, you have a good shot at ensuring you don't miss 11 ever again.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”