What to do if you retake?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

What to do if you retake?

Postby sinfiery » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:59 pm

I was PTing 172+s (179 highest on PT) and I got a 167 so I want to retake for sure.
3.78 gpa and after senior year, will most likely go up to a 3.84

But I graduate in May 2012 and don't want to be hampered by a late application so I won't retake it in december, but probably early 2012.


I want to get into the best ranked school I can get into, that's why I am retaking.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do for that gap year?

I was interested in TFA or peacecorps but they may be too hard to get into..

Anyone have suggestions of what to do if your retake is going to add on a year? Yes, I have debt and loans.

(I really don't mind the year break, graduating undergrad at 21 so I would like a break anyways)

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby senorhosh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 am

Work. It seems like those with WE fared better in OCI than those who were K-JD.
Travel. Teach English abroad if you don't have money.

TFA + peacecorps if you're willing to commit.

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby mushybrain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:54 am

Work. I will have worked for four years between undergrad and 1L and the experience has been great for personal growth.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 am

I suppose it's time to try and find a job!

Wonder if this degree in Finance will help me in any way...hah.

Thanks for the responses.

User avatar
qbt1990
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby qbt1990 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 am

mushybrain wrote:Work. I will have worked for four years between undergrad and 1L and the experience has been great for personal growth.


How did you get a job? This market is impossible with a worthless social sciences degree

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 am

qbt1990 wrote:
mushybrain wrote:Work. I will have worked for four years between undergrad and 1L and the experience has been great for personal growth.


How did you get a job? This market is impossible with a worthless social sciences degree

I feel the same way...especially with no internships on my behalf..

Maybe I should just go join americorp to make up for my nonexistent softs and it might be slightly interesting

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby mushybrain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 am

I started with a less than perfect job, and since I hadn't yet decided to go to law school, I moved on from there! I have a BA in International Affairs and a BS in Political Science. I worked at a nonprofit, then a law firm, and now I work at a legal document processing center as a supervisor.

I highly recommend investigating placement agencies if you have any kind of prior work experience. I got my law firm job through a headhunter type, and I got my current position through a temp agency and ended up being hired direct.

inflightradio
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 am

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby inflightradio » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 am

mushybrain wrote:I started with a less than perfect job, and since I hadn't yet decided to go to law school, I moved on from there! I have a BA in International Affairs and a BS in Political Science. I worked at a nonprofit, then a law firm, and now I work at a legal document processing center as a supervisor.

I highly recommend investigating placement agencies if you have any kind of prior work experience. I got my law firm job through a headhunter type, and I got my current position through a temp agency and ended up being hired direct.


Are you me?! I have the exact same two majors (not the most lucrative or creative, that's for sure) and I have decided to take at least a year off trying to work but was worried how to go about tackling the market. Your advice is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

hydeyu
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 am

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby hydeyu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:59 am

sinfiery wrote:I was PTing 172+s (179 highest on PT) and I got a 167 so I want to retake for sure.
3.78 gpa and after senior year, will most likely go up to a 3.84

But I graduate in May 2012 and don't want to be hampered by a late application so I won't retake it in december, but probably early 2012.


I want to get into the best ranked school I can get into, that's why I am retaking.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do for that gap year?

I was interested in TFA or peacecorps but they may be too hard to get into..

Anyone have suggestions of what to do if your retake is going to add on a year? Yes, I have debt and loans.

(I really don't mind the year break, graduating undergrad at 21 so I would like a break anyways)


I have almost exactly the same problem here, but I've decided to retake in December. Should that fail (lower than 99th for me), I'll retake June'12 and have a gap year.

I'm BA major in linguistics and English, so even more "useless" in the job market than a degree in social science (certainly worse than finance) as you guys have. I'm interested in corp law and IP law, but I don't know which is best for me as long as interns go, one in a bank/corp or one in a law firm, if I can find one?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: What to do if you retake?

Postby sinfiery » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm

hydeyu wrote:
sinfiery wrote:I was PTing 172+s (179 highest on PT) and I got a 167 so I want to retake for sure.
3.78 gpa and after senior year, will most likely go up to a 3.84

But I graduate in May 2012 and don't want to be hampered by a late application so I won't retake it in december, but probably early 2012.


I want to get into the best ranked school I can get into, that's why I am retaking.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do for that gap year?

I was interested in TFA or peacecorps but they may be too hard to get into..

Anyone have suggestions of what to do if your retake is going to add on a year? Yes, I have debt and loans.

(I really don't mind the year break, graduating undergrad at 21 so I would like a break anyways)


I have almost exactly the same problem here, but I've decided to retake in December. Should that fail (lower than 99th for me), I'll retake June'12 and have a gap year.

I'm BA major in linguistics and English, so even more "useless" in the job market than a degree in social science (certainly worse than finance) as you guys have. I'm interested in corp law and IP law, but I don't know which is best for me as long as interns go, one in a bank/corp or one in a law firm, if I can find one?

If you succeed in December, are you going to apply that late? Even with a score you're satisfied with?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Binghamton1018, gwillygecko, Instrumental, SunDevil14 and 20 guests