How do you prep when you've used everything?

lsatprepguy

How do you prep when you've used everything?

Postby lsatprepguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:58 pm

question
I used every prep test 7-62ish in my prep for October. What does one do in this situation and they want to retake?
I would not be retaking until the June administration. Do you think that by that time, the tests would be blurry to me anyway, or am I going to remember the questions, thereby making studying useless?

Background, not really relevant to question
I prepped for Oct and got a 170. (GPA 3.95+)

I wanted HYS more than anything, and unless somebody can convince me otherwise, I intend to retake this thing because that is not going to cut it.
I was pt'ing in mid 170 range, and I really have no clue what happened on test day. I thought I killed it when I walked out.

LSAT Blog

Re: How do you prep when you've used everything?

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Most of them will likely be blurry to you. Even for those that you do recall having completed, you're not looking to simply measure your performance - you're looking to actually learn from the material.

Don't worry. You can learn a great deal from studying these exams.

Some more thoughts on studying for a retake.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:12 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:question
I used every prep test 7-62ish in my prep for October. What does one do in this situation and they want to retake?
I would not be retaking until the June administration. Do you think that by that time, the tests would be blurry to me anyway, or am I going to remember the questions, thereby making studying useless?

Background, not really relevant to question
I prepped for Oct and got a 170. (GPA 3.95+)

I wanted HYS more than anything, and unless somebody can convince me otherwise, I intend to retake this thing because that is not going to cut it.
I was pt'ing in mid 170 range, and I really have no clue what happened on test day. I thought I killed it when I walked out.

Wow.
Same boat.
PT-ing mid 170s. Got a 171. Went through PTs 7-63.

My plan is to take a large break until maybe Feb or March and retake the tests using strict time constraints (maybe 30 minute sections). I'm pretty sure I won't remember EVERYTHING but I'm sure my familiarity with the answers will lead to some sort of score inflation.

I guess we can make use of PTs 1-6 and the superprep tests.
I'm also saving the Oct (didn't look at the answers), the next Dec, Feb tests for the 1-2 weeks before the June test so I can get an accurate gauge where I am.

Since we both have a 170 to fall back on (it's not the end of the world), I feel like the second time will take a LOT of pressure off the next test.

Anyway good luck

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:48 am

The strange thing is that you do actually benefit from having read things in the past even if you don't remember reading it. I'm in a class about memory and there are multiple articles indicating that you increase your reading speed for previous material despite not remembering it. Its strange I know and it took a great deal of convincing for me to go along with this. So when I redo sections, just like you said, I shave off minutes. But take it with a grain of salt because reviewing over past material is still helpful and all those of us who have tapped everything out have left. :)

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:02 am

170/3.95 can get you into HYS, if other parts of your app are interesting (maybe even if not; admissions is weird). It's not likely, but it wouldn't be a total miracle. I would recommend you apply this year and see what happens. If you really would prefer to go to law school this year all else being equal, you would be pretty disappointed if you didn't improve next June, right? Not getting in one year should not hurt you at all.

And 170/3.95 would likely get you one of CCN (although prob not Columbia), MVPB with $$ or $$$. If you didn't want to tempt yourself maybe just apply HYS this cycle.

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 am

ahnhub wrote:170/3.95 can get you into HYS, if other parts of your app are interesting (maybe even if not; admissions is weird). It's not likely, but it wouldn't be a total miracle. I would recommend you apply this year and see what happens. If you really would prefer to go to law school this year all else being equal, you would be pretty disappointed if you didn't improve next June, right? Not getting in one year should not hurt you at all.

And 170/3.95 would likely get you one of CCN (although prob not Columbia), MVPB with $$ or $$$. If you didn't want to tempt yourself maybe just apply HYS this cycle.

Here's the catch and I should have mentioned this in OP, I am only a junior.

I thought for sure that once you dropped below a 171 your shot at HY is pretty much eliminated..?

FWIW, my softs are decent I think, but not great.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Why do you think that? 171's better than a 170, but there's nothing magical about 171 (esp. since the 25% fell from 171 to 170 last cycle, and will probably stay there for this one). For a 3.9+ GPA, your odds just keep getting better with every LSAT point at Harvard, basically, until they start looking like a lock at 175+ --the odds pretty much disappear at 169, I think, for non-URMs.

Anyways, since HYS is your goal and you're a junior, yeah, absolutely retake since you're below your PT average. What section ended up giving you more trouble than you thought?--I presume not Games, since you thought you crushed it?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”