You'll be fine, chill and get your apps in
16%
lol @ RC fail in LG section
24%

Total votes: 25

sharrin7

Retake?

Postby sharrin7 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 pm

So, after PTing consistently in the 168-172 range, I managed to get a 165 on the June LSAT. I was so frustrated with my score that I didn't look at the detailed answer report the LSAC provides until today (partially because I forgot about it, partially because I was pissed).

Here's what happened: although the LG section was by far my strongest PT section (-0/-1) I managed to completely misread part of the last game (balls... literally) and went 0/6, putting me at -7 for the section. My other sections were pretty consistent with my PTs.

Had I even gone 4/6 on this last game, I'd be at a 168 (assuming) and would be a lock for a full ride at my top choice school (a T25 in my home market). Statistically, with my LSAT and GPA I should get in with a modest (c. half-ride) scholarship.

The obvious answer is retake, I know. However, while I didn't hate studying for the LSAT, I didn't appreciate the toll it took on my social life (particularly with my wife) and I am not sure I want to go through it all again. I am also currently working a full-time job and don't think I'd be able to devote the same amount of time as I did when I was in graduate school.

One final question (sorry for the rather lengthy post): how do school's adjust their scholly info if you retake and score higher on the LSAT? Does it vary from school to school? If someone who has had experience in this area wants to chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

sharrin7

Re: Retake?

Postby sharrin7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:11 am

Bump... has anyone had experience with retaking the LSAT after applying and using the (hopefully) improved score to leverage more money? Or would it be more wise to sit out a cycle? If I do end up retaking, I'm thinking the February administration...

Thanks.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 am

sharrin7 wrote:Bump... has anyone had experience with retaking the LSAT after applying and using the (hopefully) improved score to leverage more money? Or would it be more wise to sit out a cycle? If I do end up retaking, I'm thinking the February administration...

Thanks.

It resulted in major YP from safeties where 1st score was above 75th, but got more $ and in's to better schools. In the end I was treated as though I applied with only tjr improved score except at safeties.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:50 am

sharrin7 wrote:Bump... has anyone had experience with retaking the LSAT after applying and using the (hopefully) improved score to leverage more money? Or would it be more wise to sit out a cycle? If I do end up retaking, I'm thinking the February administration...

Thanks.

That may be too late unless you're waitlisted.

j12

Postby j12 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Suck it up and do the retake. It's worth it to save on the school. I don't know what you make or where you're looking to go, but let's guess tuition is aorund $40K/year.
Right now you expect about $20K/year in scholarship. That means $60K in debt plus living expenses.
Or you can study for the next couple months and get what you were previously PTing, score 168+ and get a full ride.
I don't know how much you make, but I doubt you'll make $60K over the next 4 months. If you do, stay in that job and forget law school.

I retook twice times and even after a few months off from studying my PT scores didn't drop at all. You probably won't have to put in the same level of effort to maintain similar results. I also did get off WL and increased scholarship offers after my second retake in June.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”