Who makes the LSAT questions?

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby roranoa » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm

I read somewhere on this forum that LSAC used to make it themselves but around 2002 or 2003 (PT50 something) ACT took over.

Is that true? Can anyone verify that?

I can't the post that I read.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:23 pm

roranoa wrote:I read somewhere on this forum that LSAC used to make it themselves but around 2002 or 2003 (PT50 something) ACT took over.

Is that true? Can anyone verify that?

I can't find the post that I read.

In 2009, LSAC advertised in a publication called Jobs for Philosophers, looking for people with philosophy PhDs to help design the test. It would be odd if they hired staff to produce the test but didn't actually produce it.

User avatar
ExecDirect
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby ExecDirect » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:25 pm

+1

and

LSAC writes them. I think thats why they are an organization in the first place. But you can always ask them at LSACinfo@LSAC.org for a more specific answer.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Two interviews with a philosophy PhD who wrote questions for LSAC in the 90s:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/ls ... rview.html
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/be ... rview.html

The short version: LSAC uses freelancers to write the questions.

EDIT: the position I saw advertised was full time, at the LSAC office in PA, so preumably they do some of the work in-house as well, although perhaps that's just quality control, question selection, et cetera.
Last edited by AntipodeanPhil on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grond
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby Grond » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:51 pm

ACT is the LSAT vendor for LSAC. There's a thread concerning this topic from a few weeks ago.

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby paul34 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:24 pm

I think they also use various companies. I recall that they switched companies at some point, and one could observe a noticeable change in LR questions after that point.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:48 pm

paul34 wrote:I think they also use various companies. I recall that they switched companies at some point, and one could observe a noticeable change in LR questions after that point.

People seem to believe this because someone wrote it on TLS a while ago, but is there any evidence for it? I've found two separate pieces of evidence that they produce the test themselves (listed above).

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby paul34 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:26 pm

good point. I haven't seen any real evidence for it.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 pm

I did some research on LSAC.org. The short version: the newsletters they produce make it quite clear they produce the test.

Some evidence:

1. http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... ry2009.pdf
Richard Adams, Director of Test Development at LSAC since 1997, has decided that it is time for him to retire. We are losing a wonderful colleague who has enriched our lives, set and maintained the highest standards for the LSAT, and been responsible for giving us a test that is stable, reliable, and valid, year in and year out. Lily Knezevich has accepted an appointment to replace Richard as LSAC’s Director of Test Development. Lily has worked at LSAC since 1998 as a Senior Test Specialist.

2. http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... EC2006.pdf
Also beginning with the June 2007 LSAT, test takers will no longer be random-ly assigned one of two different kinds of writing prompt – decision or argument – for the writing sample. All test takers will be assigned a decision prompt. The writing sample will continue to be unscored. These two changes are the result of extensive research by LSAC staff and consulta-tions with the LSAC Test Development and Research Committee.

Also, as part of its description - on the official LSAC twitter account and elsewhere - LSAC claims "We produce and administer the LSAT worldwide." Seems fairly clear.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:46 pm

And I just found a google cached job advertisement for Test Specialist at LSAC on http://www.insidehighered.com (originally posted in 2010):

--LinkRemoved--

TEST SPECIALIST
Law School Admission Council (LSAC), an educational service organization that develops and administers the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), is seeking a Test Specialist.

Test Specialists help to develop questions for the LSAT that are of high quality and are sensitive to the diversity of the LSAT population. The position requires the writing, review, and revision of questions that are designed to assess reading comprehension, informal reasoning, and deductive reasoning skills. Other duties may include participating in the review and development of informational and test preparation materials as well as participating in research related to the LSAT.

Some training in logic, a broad background in liberal arts, and precise and fluent use of Standard Written English are necessary. Experience in college teaching is desirable. Demonstrated organizational skills, the ability to work independently and collaboratively, and the ability to meet deadlines are required. Educational qualifications include an MA and doctoral-level work in Philosophy, Theoretical Linguistics, English, Literature, Classics, or some related discipline requiring strong reading, reasoning, and analytical skills. A Ph.D. is preferred.

Salary: $65,000 per year or more depending on qualifications and experience. Benefits are highly competitive. To apply, please forward vitae, a letter of application including the following Job Code, and a list of references to:

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Who makes the LSAT questions?

Postby roranoa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:11 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I did some research on LSAC.org. The short version: the newsletters they produce make it quite clear they produce the test.

Some evidence:

1. http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... ry2009.pdf
Richard Adams, Director of Test Development at LSAC since 1997, has decided that it is time for him to retire. We are losing a wonderful colleague who has enriched our lives, set and maintained the highest standards for the LSAT, and been responsible for giving us a test that is stable, reliable, and valid, year in and year out. Lily Knezevich has accepted an appointment to replace Richard as LSAC’s Director of Test Development. Lily has worked at LSAC since 1998 as a Senior Test Specialist.

2. http://www.lsac.org/LSACResources/Publi ... EC2006.pdf
Also beginning with the June 2007 LSAT, test takers will no longer be random-ly assigned one of two different kinds of writing prompt – decision or argument – for the writing sample. All test takers will be assigned a decision prompt. The writing sample will continue to be unscored. These two changes are the result of extensive research by LSAC staff and consulta-tions with the LSAC Test Development and Research Committee.

Also, as part of its description - on the official LSAC twitter account and elsewhere - LSAC claims "We produce and administer the LSAT worldwide." Seems fairly clear.

Awesome research skills! Thanks!
This is somewhat unrelated but, do you happen to know the year when LG and RC became comparatively more difficult than previous tests? I thought it was sometime around PT57 or 58 but I'm not sure.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests