Stuck around 160

Stuck around 160

Postby superhedy2011 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 am

Hi dear all, I'm kindly seek your help on my problem, your help would be highly appreciated.

I started my LSAT preparation at one and a half month ago. In my very first try of PT, I got 163/76 (with no time limit). I was glad then... and quite confident. Then I tried to lower down the time limited to the required level, and got myself familiar with all kinds of questions (through LR bible), and took almost 30-40 packs of PT. Also, I tried to improve my reading and understanding skills as I'm not the native speaker.

But now I'm still around 160, varying from 155-165, at best 167. And the biggest problem here is, everytime I checked the answers with questions wrong, I would feel: wow, the answer is dead right, why can't I figure it out when I go through the first time? So I told myself to be more cautious next time. But it happens again and again, although I've tried my best to focus and be cautious. And even I've tried to waive the time limit, but still got 1-2 wrong answers say each reading passage.

So how can I improve from this situation? My typical distribution of wrong answers would be LR/LR/RC/LG=7/8/8/0. Thanks very much for your advice! And good luck with you all!

Re: Stuck around 160

Postby CodyRuegger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 am

Don't worry about timing yourself at this point.

The LR bible is helpful, the RC bible less so - I've heard that some people like the Manhattan book, so that may be worth checking out. Whatever study materials you go with, it's essential that you understand how every question on every section works, and that when you get something wrong, you know why you got it wrong, and why the right answer was right. While it's tempting to quantify your progress with a number, it's really in your best interest to master the basic techniques before you start seriously attacking practice tests. Once you're comfortable with this, start doing sections and PT's slowly until you're comfortable with your accuracy level, then institute time limits and work your way down to 35 minute sections or less. Good luck! :)

Postby josh43299 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:47 am

When do you plan to take the LSAT? If you are planning on taking it in December, what is your target score?

Postby superhedy2011 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 am

Thanks for all your nice suggestions.

Seems it's time for me to slow down and study every question thoroughly.

My target score is 175, and am taking the Dec test. Since I'm non-native speaker, I would try to limit my reading wrong number below 4, and lower the LR wrong number to 0-1. Any suggestion? Thanks very much!

josh43299 wrote:When do you plan to take the LSAT? If you are planning on taking it in December, what is your target score?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:37 pm

You need to drill the question types you are having the most trouble with.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”