Logic Games Bible, June 1995 Game #1

Geetar Man

Logic Games Bible, June 1995 Game #1

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:00 am

This game contains the country of Zendu and the four areas of intersection.

My question to the people who actually studied from the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, did you find this game extremely difficult?

My second question is, is this game actually worth studying?

I can't seem to understand the way they diagram this game and the explanation just seems really confusing...

Fuck the asshole(s) who thought of and gave this game to LSAT test takers!

tronredo

Re: Logic Games Bible, June 1995 Game #1

Postby tronredo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:31 am

Geetar Man wrote:This game contains the country of Zendu and the four areas of intersection.

My question to the people who actually studied from the Powerscore Logic Games Bible, did you find this game extremely difficult?

My second question is, is this game actually worth studying?

I can't seem to understand the way they diagram this game and the explanation just seems really confusing...

Fuck the asshole(s) who thought of and gave this game to LSAT test takers!

I agree this was a tough game. But what i have learned from the LG section in the LSAT is that if the setup is kinda pesky and intricate, the questions will be SUPER EASY. If you figured out the setup well you would brush the questions pretty fast and with simplicity

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm

I understand that, but my problem is that I would have never come across the setup they gave on my own. Therefore the questions would be difficult for me. I still don't really understand it. I can better understand the setup when they are using the circles to show the overlap in areas, but they said that is an incorrect setup.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Anyone?

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:09 pm

I don't have my book on me. Is this the country with the four regions that planes can fly over, or something like that? Mapping game towards the end of the LGB?

I didn't find it overly difficult. Draw circles like a venn diagram, and get the rules firmly in your mind--IIRC, there weren't that many rules to keep track of. Since mapping games are so rare, you don't need to worry too much about having a system down for them. Draw them in an intuitive way that you can keep track of, making sure not to make any incorrect inferences. Mapping games are a section where you're going to have to "wing it" a bit because of how few examples of them exist.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Triveal wrote:I don't have my book on me. Is this the country with the four regions that planes can fly over, or something like that? Mapping game towards the end of the LGB?

I didn't find it overly difficult. Draw circles like a venn diagram, and get the rules firmly in your mind--IIRC, there weren't that many rules to keep track of. Since mapping games are so rare, you don't need to worry too much about having a system down for them. Draw them in an intuitive way that you can keep track of, making sure not to make any incorrect inferences. Mapping games are a section where you're going to have to "wing it" a bit because of how few examples of them exist.

Yeah, thats the game. Intuitively, it seems as though you should draw circles like a venn diagram. But the LG bible specifically states that it is an ineffective way to diagram this game. They choose to diagram this game in a linear fashion.

If you didnt find it overly difficult, can you explain the way that you did it?

Anyone else have any input on the rarity of these types of games and if it is something I should be worried about? I'd hate to encounter a type of game like this and end up missing the entire game.

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:44 pm

I dunno, I think their grouping method is really unintuitive and makes no sense visually. You can still draw the not laws below your venn diagram, just remember to leave enough space between each letter's (R, U, T, and S) not laws so that you don't get them confused. What problems in particular were giving you trouble?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:45 pm

So, I went through the question again and re-read the LGB explanation. I guess it doesn't say that the venn diagram is ineffective, it just says that it would be BETTER if you used a linear fashion. It took me a little while but I now see that even when using the venn diagram, each question can be answered. So I guess this is for anyone else who might have a question about it.

Hopefully this type of game doesn't show up on a test, but if it does, I will just use a venn diagram format. haha

Triveal

Postby Triveal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 pm

In addition, I think that once you get good at the main two types of games (linear & grouping) that you will automatically be better at these. Like the book says repeatedly, these "extra types" are really just linear and grouping games in disguise: the only thing that differs is how you represent them visually. Do what works well for you. Personally, and maybe it's just me, I find the LG bible's one weakness to be on these tertiary game types.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Triveal wrote:I dunno, I think their grouping method is really unintuitive and makes no sense visually. You can still draw the not laws below your venn diagram, just remember to leave enough space between each letter's (R, U, T, and S) not laws so that you don't get them confused. What problems in particular were giving you trouble?

Yeah, their method is highly unintuitive. I figured that I could just use the venn diagram version because it just helps to visualize where each area of intersection intersects and so forth.

Thanks for the reply and helping me out! The quest of studying is a pain in the ass, but can be pretty fun since it challenges me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”