Question is... When to take the LSAT

Bro-Lo El Cunado

Question is... When to take the LSAT

Postby Bro-Lo El Cunado » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Tried the search feature first, but once I typed those 4 magical letters, I got 178,000 results. So my apologizes if this is a dead horse topic.

I'm set to graduate UG in Spring '13. I've yet to take said LSAT. I was thinking Feb. '12 however, I read that was possibly the worst test to take (time wise) I'm thinking that directly relates to fall '12 incoming 0L's, but I thought Id ask anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Bildungsroman

Re: Question is... When to take the LSAT

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:55 pm

I'd recommend June '12 if you want to start law school in fall of 2013.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd recommend June '12 if you want to start law school in fall of 2013.

This. It leaves open the possibility of a retake in October '12, if you need it.

Bro-Lo El Cunado

Postby Bro-Lo El Cunado » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm

That's what I was originally thinking, as my plan is Fall 2013. Anyone know when registration will open up for June? LSAC is only showing up to Feb 2012.

Thanks again

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Waiting until June will also give you a good seven months to study, and you'll have your score by the end of June so you'll be able to send apps in September, right at the beginning of the 2013 cycle.

I think I registered in Jan/Feb for the June 2011 administration. Just check back periodically to see when they've opened registration - you're a couple test administrations ahead of them, and you can't expect too much from LSAC.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:54 pm

I realize that everyone seems to hate the February LSAT, but I find it the best time to take it. Take it your junior year. You have all Christmas break to study for it when you don't have to worry about any classes. You're done with the test before almost everyone applying in your cycle. If you need to retake, you can take it again in June.

Most people wait to take it until June after their junior year. The bad thing with doing this is that if you need to retake the test you need to wait until October of your senior year. People who already have satisfactory scores are ahead of you and it is rolling admissions at most places.

I found taking the February LSAT very relaxing. Only five other people were taking the test when I took it. It wasn't a hectic scene at all.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:50 am

One reason people don't like the Feb test is because it's undisclosed. If you get a bad score and want to re-study and re-take, you have no idea what you did wrong and don't have the disclosed test and your answers to work from.

Bro-Lo El Cunado

Postby Bro-Lo El Cunado » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Let me ask a real generalized question... (opinion based)

What would be a good starting off score from a first practice test? Never having studied or even cracking open a LSAT book. Basically taking the test blind for the very first time.

For example, if I took a practice test tonight for the first time and scored a 158, would it be plausible with some actual study time one could expect something in the mid-160's (depending on study habits) or from your experience, is expecting a 10 - 15 point jump from 1st practice test to 1st live test unrealistic?

Thanks again guys, and girls...

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:21 pm

I've known people who have scored in the low to mid 150s on a first diagnostic and broken into the high 160s and low 170s. It's hard work, and a lot of studying, but it's definitely possible to make that kind of leap. Good luck.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Last edited by gaud on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bro-Lo El Cunado

Postby Bro-Lo El Cunado » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply's and encouraging words.

I'm leaning more towards the Feb 2012 test after giving it some more thought. Having all of Dec and 2 weeks into Jan to study before school starts back up again. (Dec 2 - Jan 9) and only being about 3 weeks into the semester once the test rolls around gives me a lot of confidence. Plus the idea of less people being at the testing site is always favorable.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:16 am

Yeah, I felt way better about taking the test not having a crowded room with a ton of people. I definitely understand people not liking the undisclosed part about taking in February, but I do not regret taking it in Feb and I think it was a really good decision.

You especially have a nice long Winter break to study. And really, there is nothing going on that important three weeks into the semester. As long as you are confident in your studying, there is no reason for the test to be disclosed anyways.

Ernert

Postby Ernert » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:57 am

I personally found the June LSAT to be preferable, but I was also taking it after graduation. Having spent all four years of UG avoiding morning classes, getting to take it at 1PM instead of 8AM definitely seemed advantageous. But to each his/her own.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”