need to get into 140sor 150s Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Nixon

New

need to get into 140sor 150s

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:29 am

Any advice on how to improve my score 10+ pts would be appreciated.

I took the LSAT last year, studied pretty hard, but scored below most schools averages. Im practice testing around 138, 139, and I want to break into the 140s. I just cant seem to make it happen.

Id love to break 150 just to make sure I definately get in somewhere. I just want to be a lawyer so bad. But if I can get to the 140s Id feel better. Ill probably do better on the actually test than I do in practice. So any advice on how to boost my scores?

I have the most trouble with RC. I run out of time. And really the passages dont make sense. I took a Kaplan course and it boosted my scores minimally so I dont really want to take another class but if you think I should reconsider let me know.

Thanks.

EDIT
I am retaking in December FYI.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: need to get into 140sor 150s

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 am

Just FYI, you aren't going to like where this thread goes. I think the overwhelming consensus (among the people who know a thing or two about law school) is going to be don't go to law school.

Edit : actually I'd guess you're a flame after checkibg your post history.

Nixon

New

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:39 am

romothesavior wrote:Just FYI, you aren't going to like where this thread goes. I think the overwhelming consensus (among the people who know a thing or two about law school) is going to be don't go to law school.
Well I am definately going to law school so dont bother !!!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:39 am

I truly don't mean to be an asshole, but if you're having trouble grasping even the basics of reading comprehension, being a lawyer is very likely going to be not the best move. If you REALLY want it, you probably should take a year off and study for June tho

Nixon

New

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 am

JamMasterJ wrote:I truly don't mean to be an asshole, but if you're having trouble grasping even the basics of reading comprehension, being a lawyer is very likely going to be not the best move. If you REALLY want it, you probably should take a year off and study for June tho
Im asking for advise on how to do better though not on if I should go or when I should retake. Definately retaking in Dec. Thanks though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:45 am

Nixon wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I truly don't mean to be an asshole, but if you're having trouble grasping even the basics of reading comprehension, being a lawyer is very likely going to be not the best move. If you REALLY want it, you probably should take a year off and study for June tho
Im asking for advise on how to do better though not on if I should go or when I should retake. Definately retaking in Dec. Thanks though.
Nice touch. The flame is strong in you, my son.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 am

TommyK wrote:
Nixon wrote:
Yeah this is weak. It would have been more believable if his first post wasn't A LONG WINDED ALL CAPS PROMO FOR THE COOLEY PEP PROGRAM.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 am

romothesavior wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Nixon wrote:
Yeah this is weak. It would have been more believable if his first post wasn't A LONG WINDED ALL CAPS PROMO FOR THE COOLEY PEP PROGRAM.
oh well

Nixon

New

Post by Nixon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:50 am

romothesavior wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Nixon wrote:
I dnt understand is this some internet joke??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 am

Nixon wrote:
I dnt understand is this some internet joke??
It's the new breed of lawyer joke.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am

I don't know if you're joking OP, but I'll give you advice anyway, even though this might (and hopefully) be a flame. I'm guessing you're having trouble with everything, and how far did you get into RC? I have trouble finishing RC,
it sounds like you have trouble even getting started. If you are so determined to be a lawyer,
then STUDY! I know it sucks, but you need to get your shit together, sit down (for more than
20 minutes at a time), and study! It will be an adjustment at first, when I started I just sat looking at my
book and couldn't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. This is what holds back the
pussies from studying, their minds start to hurt after a few minutes of doing something they are not
used to doing, and then they blame it on being bad test takers. There are in fact bad test takers i
n the world, but this is a grossly over-used term and it does not apply to you and many
other people that hide behind it. So it sucks at first when you just start, but after a week or
two of forcing yourself to keep going (maybe take a break every hour) your brain will adjust and
everything will become MUCH easier. After that, learning the test can take place. For LG, you need to order the LG Bible and the LG workbook by Powerscore, probably like 20 bucks on amazon, it is a great investment.
Make 3 photocopies of every LG section that you have, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND MANY
PEOPLE NEGLECT TO DO THIS. Work on it for a month, but don't neglect to look over
RC or LR occasionally. Do an RC or LR section every couple days. I can't really help with LR or RC learning,
I just bought a ton of practice tests, and then spent a lot of time taking tests
(probably the last 6 weeks leading up until the LSAT) and the LR eventually just clicked.

There are better ways to learn LR, so peruse this forum to find it. But I suggest ordering some PTs off amazon and doing

sections to get used to it and find out what works for you. For RC, just keep doing passages.
Dave's thread has good technique
for RC, such as writing down key points as you read next to the passage, as this well help you digest it and connect the dots.
But it seems like you have trouble just reading dense material, so just keep at
RC passages, it will eventually click. The test is learnable, and as you begin to go through it you'll begin to see patterns in everything and it will become much easier.
Also, study for december, but retake in june for the next cycle if you need to, many people do it, including me, and it is no big deal. GOOD LUCK!

ISABELLA175

New

Post by ISABELLA175 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I dont think your a flame ... someone just called me the same thing. I actually went to the Cooley program and am waiting to see if I get in. I am also going to go ahead and retake the lsat this december too . I am also looking to get a 10 point leap. I plan to take the virtural course Powerscore offers since I have heard such great things about it.....YOUR LSAT SCORE IS NOT A GOOD PREDICTOR OF HOW WELL YOU WILL DO IN LAW SCHOOL !!!!

"Evidence suggests that the test "does not predict success in the legal profession at all," the judge wrote, so "one must wonder why the law school concerns itself at all with an applicant's LSAT score."

Elliott Milstein, an American University law professor and past president of the Association of American of Law Schools, concurs. "If important societal goals" such as enrolling minorities "are being thwarted" because of heavy reliance on the LSAT, he says, "we ought to be open to thinking about whether we need the test at all."

Read this: http://www.lawschool.com/lsat-wsj.htm

But anyway good luck and Happy Studying!! please feel free to inbox me and let me know how you do on your retake! :D

ISABELLA175

New

Post by ISABELLA175 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:14 pm

mattviphky wrote:I don't know if you're joking OP, but I'll give you advice anyway, even though this might (and hopefully) be a flame. I'm guessing you're having trouble with everything, and how far did you get into RC? I have trouble finishing RC,
it sounds like you have trouble even getting started. If you are so determined to be a lawyer,
then STUDY! I know it sucks, but you need to get your shit together, sit down (for more than
20 minutes at a time), and study! It will be an adjustment at first, when I started I just sat looking at my
book and couldn't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. This is what holds back the
pussies from studying, their minds start to hurt after a few minutes of doing something they are not
used to doing, and then they blame it on being bad test takers. There are in fact bad test takers i
n the world, but this is a grossly over-used term and it does not apply to you and many
other people that hide behind it. So it sucks at first when you just start, but after a week or
two of forcing yourself to keep going (maybe take a break every hour) your brain will adjust and
everything will become MUCH easier. After that, learning the test can take place. For LG, you need to order the LG Bible and the LG workbook by Powerscore, probably like 20 bucks on amazon, it is a great investment.
Make 3 photocopies of every LG section that you have, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND MANY
PEOPLE NEGLECT TO DO THIS. Work on it for a month, but don't neglect to look over
RC or LR occasionally. Do an RC or LR section every couple days. I can't really help with LR or RC learning,
I just bought a ton of practice tests, and then spent a lot of time taking tests
(probably the last 6 weeks leading up until the LSAT) and the LR eventually just clicked.

There are better ways to learn LR, so peruse this forum to find it. But I suggest ordering some PTs off amazon and doing

sections to get used to it and find out what works for you. For RC, just keep doing passages.
for RC, such as writing down key points as you read next to the passage, as this well help you digest it and connect the dots.
RC passages, it will eventually click. The test is learnable, and as you begin to go through it you'll begin to see patterns in everything and it will become much easier.
Also, study for december, but retake in june for the next cycle if you need to, many people do it, including me, and it is no big deal. GOOD LUCK!

Also a friend of mine who is already in Law school told me not to focuse so Much on what im doing wrong, instead focuse on what I am doing right. Practice thos good skills and improve, to compensate for the RC. ... Just my 2 cents .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 pm

ISABELLA175 wrote:I dont think your a flame ...
Of course you don't. You're nixon's alt. Yawn - flame better. This is boring me.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 pm

ISABELLA175 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I don't know if you're joking OP, but I'll give you advice anyway, even though this might (and hopefully) be a flame. I'm guessing you're having trouble with everything, and how far did you get into RC? I have trouble finishing RC,

Also a friend of mine who is already in Law school told me not to focuse so Much on what im doing wrong, instead focuse on what I am doing right. Practice thos good skills and improve, to compensate for the RC. ... Just my 2 cents .
no

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Your other post is better (Isabella) :)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Kess wrote:Your other post is better (Isabella) :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thedive

Bronze

Post by thedive » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Haha, I needed a good laugh today in between classes.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:43 pm

TLS is not funny anymore.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Grizz wrote:TLS is not funny anymore.
go make a thread about it

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Grizz wrote:TLS is not funny anymore.
go make a thread about it
I lol'd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ISABELLA175

New

Post by ISABELLA175 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:09 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
hahah! whatever! it made since in my head... lol :P :oops:

josh43299

Bronze

Post by josh43299 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Nixon wrote:Any advice on how to improve my score 10+ pts would be appreciated. I took the LSAT last year, studied pretty hard... I just want to be a lawyer so bad... Ill probably do better on the actually test than I do in practice....I have the most trouble with RC. I run out of time. And really the passages dont make sense. I took a Kaplan course and it boosted my scores minimally so I dont really want to take another class but if you think I should reconsider let me know.
I think you should reconsider.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:30 pm

ISABELLA175 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Are you the girl who is pining for a baby?

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:34 pm

ISABELLA175 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
What? You lost me...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”