Advice for December retake preparation- Logical Reasoning

NightmanCometh

Advice for December retake preparation- Logical Reasoning

Postby NightmanCometh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:19 am

After cancelling my October score due to struggle with the Logical Reasoning, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for pushing my Logical Reasoning skills to the next level. I have done all the recent preptests, drilled by question type, read various bibles. On the recent PT's (late 50-60s) I get anywhere from -1 to -4 on any given section, and I don't have any glaring question type weaknesses except maybe Weaken.

My main problem is confidence. For the older PTs I used to be able to work through the LR mechanically and eliminate down to the right answer for all but 1 or 2 questions. For the newer tests, which are much less predictable, this number has increased to 4-6 questions, and while I usually get at least half of them right, I seem to have lost my surefootedness in elminating wrong answers quickly.

My end goal is to come out of the December test comfortable with the LR sections. That doesn't necessarily mean finish everything with 5 minutes left and be sure about every question, but more along the lines of, finish everything with 1-2 minutes to spare, unsure about 1-2 questions at the very most.

What should I do at this point? Should I go back and redo the PT questions, and analyze each question carefully without time limits? Take a class to get some new perspectives? Any tips greatly appreciated!

CodyRuegger

Re: Advice for December retake preparation- Logical Reasoning

Postby CodyRuegger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:19 am

Hey, I had a similar problem. Early on in my LSAT prep I wasn't able to quite crack the level of LR accuracy I wanted, no matter how many times I attacked new sections or reread the powerscore bible.

First of all, you should be analyzing every question you get wrong. Know why you got it wrong, and why the right answer is right. Based on your accuracy, I would assume you mostly only get the higher difficulty problems incorrect, what with their attractive wrong answers and unattractive right answers.

A useful tool that really helped me with LR was the Cambridge LSAT book 'LSAT Challenge,' which is a compendium of all the difficult problems from PT's 1-40. (there's a collection that just has the LR problems too) They're a bit dated, but the logic remains the same. It served sort as a trial by fire, where I had to learn to eliminate wrong answers based on one or two key words in the answer choice that neutralized its validity as the right answer. It often comes down to that. At the beginning, I was getting a problem on every page wrong, but by problem #250 or so I was running streaks of 15 or 20 correct in a row. When I returned to doing LR sections, my accuracy improved drastically.

NightmanCometh

Postby NightmanCometh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately I've done ALL the logical reasoning problems from PT1-38 grouped into question type by Cambridge (and ordered by difficulty), so I am sure to have done everything in that book you mentioned published by them.

In terms of analyzing wrong answers, I do that. Problem is, with three minutes it's quite easy to see exactly where I went wrong, why the correct answer is correct, the other answers wrong, etc. Problem is doing this confidently in 1-1.5 minutes. After drilling so much (the Cambridge LR bundle I mentioned, I developed a swift mechanical approach that allowed me to breeze by PT40-PT50 (only 1 or 2 wrong, tops). But the recent tests have mixed things up so they are far less predictable and I am thrown off way more.

I think I may have to put most of my focus on the newer tests (50s and beyond), analyze every question thorougly, to see if I can find some patterns...

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm

the pattern recognition you mentioned is very beneficial- I used some of Dave's Velocity LSAT advice regarding pattern recognition and it really changed the way my brain tackled LR. I can feel my mind slowly thinking about them in a different way.

NightmanCometh wrote:Thanks for your advice! Unfortunately I've done ALL the logical reasoning problems from PT1-38 grouped into question type by Cambridge (and ordered by difficulty), so I am sure to have done everything in that book you mentioned published by them.

In terms of analyzing wrong answers, I do that. Problem is, with three minutes it's quite easy to see exactly where I went wrong, why the correct answer is correct, the other answers wrong, etc. Problem is doing this confidently in 1-1.5 minutes. After drilling so much (the Cambridge LR bundle I mentioned, I developed a swift mechanical approach that allowed me to breeze by PT40-PT50 (only 1 or 2 wrong, tops). But the recent tests have mixed things up so they are far less predictable and I am thrown off way more.

I think I may have to put most of my focus on the newer tests (50s and beyond), analyze every question thorougly, to see if I can find some patterns...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”