Need Advice: Pushing past the 170 mark.

iMisto

Need Advice: Pushing past the 170 mark.

Postby iMisto » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm retaking in December after some major studying.

Here's my situation: Scored a 157 last October with minimal studying, double major, full course load, full time work, etc. Original diagnostic was 149/150. Decided to disconnect from everything, and really put my nose to the grindstone.

Took a full-length TestMasters course for theory/technique/strategy from July-Sept. Supplemented this with PowerScore LR Bible <-- tremendous help! My four diagnostic scores with TestMasters were 155, 156, 160, 168. Since the 168 and end of the class, I began self study, doing ONLY timed sections, some back to back, major review, going over every missed question thoroughly, as well as the ones I guessed on AND got right. I have also been doing at LEAST 1 PT every Saturday, sometimes in public spaces (ie Starbucks). Recently scored a 170. I tend to review EVERY SINGLE LR question, missed RC questions and their entire passage, as well as any games that gave me issues.

My LR scores tend to be between -1/-3, with -0 on three recent timed sections. LG range from
-3/-5 (-5 tends to be due to timing issues... honestly the sect. I practice least). RC seems to be erratic.. -2/-7. Seems like I do better when I keep my head in the game - duh! :/ Also, I have been finishing LR sections with anywhere from 2 to 5 min for review. LG/RC I generally finish just in time, or have about 1 or 2 min to catch my breath.

So, how do we get me into the 175 range - consistently??
I have no problem reaching the high 170s if I split the sections of a test over the course of two days, but I need to be able to perform that well in one sitting!

thelawschoolproject

Re: Need Advice: Pushing past the 170 mark.

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Here are a few thoughts:

1). Figure out why you're missing so many on the LG sections. Whatever your weakness is during that section, master it. LGs are the easiest ones to improve upon. You need to get through those sections with -0.

2). You definitely need to figure out your issues with RC. There's no reason to go from -2 to -7. This level of inconsistency will really hinder your ability to receive consistent 175+ scores.

3). It seems like LR is probably your strong suit. And, if you've gone the last few tests with -0, then it seems like you have a strong affinity for that section, which is good.

4). I may have misunderstood what you were saying, but what I took from your post is that you've only scored 170 once? If that's the case, then you have a long way to go before you're hitting 175's consistently. You need to hit 170s consistently first. The idea of "splitting the sections" over a few days in no way gives you a reliable or predictable LSAT score. You need to build up mental stamina by taking full PTs and going off of those scores. IMO, you have a long way to go.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:27 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Here are a few thoughts:

1). Figure out why you're missing so many on the LG sections. Whatever your weakness is during that section, master it. LGs are the easiest ones to improve upon. You need to get through those sections with -0.

2). You definitely need to figure out your issues with RC. There's no reason to go from -2 to -7. This level of inconsistency will really hinder your ability to receive consistent 175+ scores.

3). It seems like LR is probably your strong suit. And, if you've gone the last few tests with -0, then it seems like you have a strong affinity for that section, which is good.

4). I may have misunderstood what you were saying, but what I took from your post is that you've only scored 170 once? If that's the case, then you have a long way to go before you're hitting 175's consistently. You need to hit 170s consistently first. The idea of "splitting the sections" over a few days in no way gives you a reliable or predictable LSAT score. You need to build up mental stamina by taking full PTs and going off of those scores. IMO, you have a long way to go.

Thank you!

After reviewing the LG, it never seems to be that I don't get the game or setup, but I overlook details or forget to plug in an answer before committing to it. The only explanation I have for the inconsistent RC scores is that I tend to get bored, forgetting to engage the material.

Would you suggest that I only do full PTs multiple times a week, rather than two sections back to back and timed each day, with just 1 full PT on Saturday?

I have just under 2 months and would really like to obtain a score fit for Cornell (preferably a guarantee score..) I'm willing to put in the work.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Do every game you can get your hands on. No one consistently gets in the 170s, much less 175+, without having games locked down.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 pm

iMisto wrote:
After reviewing the LG, it never seems to be that I don't get the game or setup, but I overlook details or forget to plug in an answer before committing to it.

As Tiago said, you have to get this under control. Overlooking details isn't acceptable when you're aiming for 170+ scores. The best way to improve on this is to consistently practice LGs.

iMisto wrote: The only explanation I have for the inconsistent RC scores is that I tend to get bored, forgetting to engage the material.

If you find that you're getting bored while you're reading the passage, you need to figure out why. I realize the passages aren't the most fabulous things ever written, but they're also very short. Additionally, you need to train your mind to handle the strain of intense focus. Build up your stamina.

iMisto wrote:Would you suggest that I only do full PTs multiple times a week, rather than two sections back to back and timed each day, with just 1 full PT on Saturday?

Each person is different. For me, during multiple PTs was fine, but for some people they get burnt out. If you're already having trouble focusing on the small reading sections, I'd say that maybe you aren't ready for multiple PTs. I think maybe focusing more on drills and working your way up to multiple PTs might be the better solution.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:18 pm

It sounds like you haven't learned how to properly diagram all of the games. You need to focus on this. Games is by far the most learnable section (and, thus, your best chance for pushing past a 170).

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:17 pm

As everyone else has said, focus on getting -0 on games. People who consistently score in the 175+ range don't lose any points in games.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”