Addendum Help, Please! Am I screwed?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
GIGIILO

New

Addendum Help, Please! Am I screwed??

Post by GIGIILO » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:28 pm

When I graduated HS in 05 I was immature and unmotivated. I dropped out of a community college after receiving 27 credits and leaving F's on my file. I later returned to a four year College as a Legal Studies Major and maintained a 3.8 for the full 3 years. I graduated with honors and as a member of honor societies but my community college gpa screwed me on LSAC and as a result they gave me a GPA of a 2.9. I have to write an addendum obviously, but how badly am I screwed? I mean 96 credits at 3.8 compared to 24 of complete shit..Any pointers for the addendum??

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Re: Addendum Help, Please! Am I screwed??

Post by SisterRayVU » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 pm

Due to immaturity in HS and shortly afterwards, my grades from CC are not a reflection on my current mindset and abilities. I have noted a number of the errors of my youth, corrected them, and maintained a blablabla gpa. There you go. Don't make excuses; just explain what happened and that you fixed it. GL

benito

Bronze

Post by benito » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 pm

that is some of the better advice I've ever seen on this forum well said SisterRay.......and Gigi I am in the exact same situation, with a good enough LSAT score there is hope, grade progressions mattter.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Keep it short and to the point. Don't make excuses.

GIGIILO

New

Post by GIGIILO » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Feeling your pain right now, I've got close to 90 units of As and, thanks to 15 of Fs/Ds, combined, a lovely 3.3 gpa (fml). I've got a much more compelling reason than just fucking around out of high school, but I doubt they'll care much- just gotta go with what you've got!

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:13 pm

You're fucked honestly. The law schools will see the 2.9 and toss your app in the garbage bin without reading your addendums. But you can try.

Just get higher than 170 on your LSAT so that law schools go, "ok he's smart, why's his GPA so low? Let's see the addendum." If your LSAT is also shit, there's no hope.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Eco wrote:You're fucked honestly. The law schools will see the 2.9 and toss your app in the garbage bin without reading your addendums. But you can try.
You've given this shitty advice in several threads now. Knock it off.

I personally know a guy (non-URM) with a 2.7 who's in at a T14 because his LSAT was stellar. He's not the only one. A bad GPA is a huge disadvantage, true, but there are splitter-friendly schools out there. It's not a death sentence.
Eco wrote:If your LSAT is also shit, there's no hope.
I do, however, agree with this.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Eco wrote:You're fucked honestly. The law schools will see the 2.9 and toss your app in the garbage bin without reading your addendums. But you can try.

Just get higher than 170 on your LSAT so that law schools go, "ok he's smart, why's his GPA so low? Let's see the addendum." If your LSAT is also shit, there's no hope.
This is one of the worst posts I've seen, ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:58 am

Don't listen to this guy. Study really hard for the LSAT and do not take the test until you feel completely ready. I think it would be safe to say that if you have an LSAT with a 160 + (assuming you are a non-urm), you will have a good chance at some decent schools. If you get a 170+, you may have a shot within the T20.

I'm in the same boat as you, however, I am a URM and am aiming for 165+, so I do believe there is hope.

Good luck!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:53 am

Yea, my first semester I got a 3.6, second semester I was in a dark place and got a 0.00... Every other semester since I've gotten a 4.0... it sucks applying now with a 3.4 something when i could be applying with a 3.9+ but there's hope / I'm also hoping they see how much I've changed through my grades

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Threads like these remind me that as crappy as the LSAT is as a determining factor in law school applications, it's about 10x better than GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”