"should i cancel" ish... sorry, I keep getting mixed advice

emasters
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:00 am

"should i cancel" ish... sorry, I keep getting mixed advice

Postby emasters » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:21 am

I've (regretfully) taken the test once before as junior, sans preparation. That was in February, ended up with a whopping 153.
Devoted an entire summer/the month of September to a prep course and tutoring. Had been PTing at about 165 pretty consistently (a score I would happily take).
Was a bit thrown by the first logic games section, which seems to be the one that was scored. I know I did well on everything else (Reading Comp was actually fun.. interesting topics), but I doubt that will make up for my having guessed on roughly 12-13 LG questions. Admittedly I've always had trouble with this section, but I was shooting for no more than -8 total. Now it looks like I'm in for anywhere from -10 (hopefully?) to -14 or so.
My tutor recommends that I wait and see my score, but I'm really apprehensive about ending up with another 150 range blight on my record. I am certain this Saturday's test was not representative of my potential and that given a second chance I could bump myself up by another 6 questions or so. However, in canceling my score I would be putting a TON of pressure on my third attempt, and I do recognize that taking the test more than 2x is considered blasphemy to many. Plus prep material is pretty nonrenewable, all of my books and practice tests have been consumed. I'm pretty confident I've done every single Logic Games section since before my birth.
In terms of my goals, I recognize that T1 schools are not an option. Being a dual degree student and (mistakenly) focusing on my resume rather than my GPA sort of put me in a bad position. My main motivation for scoring well (other than protection of my ego) is scholarships. I'm pretty comfortable going to a state school that's slightly below my qualifications, provided I incur less debt.
I know that taking the test 3 times means taking the test 3 times as far as law schools are concerned, cancellation or not.. so keeping my score might not be the worst thing. But I can't help but feel like my ideal October 165 will seem a little lackluster at the end of my low-mid 150 sequence. Cancellations are at least ambiguous, right? Should I roll the dice?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: "should i cancel" ish... sorry, I keep getting mixed advice

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Keep it. the schools you're looking at don't care about multiple scores. that really only exists at HYS and NYU

emasters
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:00 am

Re: "should i cancel" ish... sorry, I keep getting mixed advice

Postby emasters » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Cool. Thanks. I'll likely still vacillate for the rest of the day, but it seems like more people support my keeping the score than canceling.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: "should i cancel" ish... sorry, I keep getting mixed advice

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Keep it. the schools you're looking at don't care about multiple scores. that really only exists at HYS and NYU


hey jammaster, so if you are going to have 3 scores no matter what, are you saying it doesn't really matter whether one score is a cancel or not? I'm not even looking at HYS and NYU, but I am looking at the lower T14 schools.. Today is the deadline for cancelling the score, ugh, and I still haven't made up my mind.. I already have a june score of a 160 (effing low) so I don't know whether having another 160 in my record for Oct and a higher Dec score would be any different than having a 160, cancel, higher than 160... wanted to hear your thoughts as I've noticed you're a quite active member on this forum. :|




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Christinabruin and 5 guests