LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

tedler

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 pm

tedler wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to know what the unspecified learning disability is that the article mentions this guy as having. For all we know it could justify these accommodations.

Although if you'd all prefer to get mad on imperfect information then I can yield to the complaints of DEY TURK ER SCORES.

If he has a learning disability that seriously demands these kinds of conditions, then I don't think law school is a good choice for him.

i agree... what happens when law school exams roll around?

justbubbles

Postby justbubbles » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Last edited by justbubbles on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:43 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:i agree... what happens when law school exams roll around?

The bar is the first thing that popped into my mind.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:
tedler wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to know what the unspecified learning disability is that the article mentions this guy as having. For all we know it could justify these accommodations.

Although if you'd all prefer to get mad on imperfect information then I can yield to the complaints of DEY TURK ER SCORES.

If he has a learning disability that seriously demands these kinds of conditions, then I don't think law school is a good choice for him.

So you're both opting for DEY TURK ER SCORES?

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 pm

u guys know most law schools give double time on law school exams to ADD kids right? same as LSAC, they just mark it on ur transcript.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 pm

I think this kid has something far more severe than ADD to get these accommodations. The article mentions an LD that the kid has on top of ADD. My guess is the ADD did not get this it was something more serious. I would love to have had double time, but I doubt I'd want whatever he has that requires it. Plus his score will be flagged as having accommodations.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Icculus wrote:I think this kid has something far more severe than ADD to get these accommodations. The article mentions an LD that the kid has on top of ADD. My guess is the ADD did not get this it was something more serious. I would love to have had double time, but I doubt I'd want whatever he has that requires it. Plus his score will be flagged as having accommodations.

Yeah, i'm gonna give this kid the benefit of the doubt that he has something more serious. If he does, it makes this even worse. even if he does good in law school with further accommodations, finding and keeping a job will be the real challenge. If it really takes him double the time to do tasks, i'm sure most companies would rather have someone else. :-(

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm happy to see that most of you aren't disputing learning disabilities. I can't believe some people think learning disability = not smart enough! But yeah, double time is just ridiculous.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:04 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:I'm happy to see that most of you aren't disputing learning disabilities. I can't believe some people think learning disability = not smart enough! But yeah, double time is just ridiculous.

At the same time, if he does need double time on the LSAT, plus frequent breaks, etc., I'm not sure how well he's going to be able to keep up with the workload of law school. I can read quickly and I find that it takes me far longer to get through my reading than I ever expected it to. For someone like him, it's not just the exam, but the amount of information that needs to be taken in and there are no real accommodations for that. A prof. is not going to slow his pace for one student.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 pm

justbubbles wrote:

Some of the comments here are just insensitive and cruel. If anyone here thinks it is that easy to "game the system", then I encourage anyone to even try it. :roll:

Calm the fuck down. No one here thinks it's easy to game the system. The guy clearly spent a ton of time and effort to get these accommodations.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Icculus wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:I'm happy to see that most of you aren't disputing learning disabilities. I can't believe some people think learning disability = not smart enough! But yeah, double time is just ridiculous.

At the same time, if he does need double time on the LSAT, plus frequent breaks, etc., I'm not sure how well he's going to be able to keep up with the workload of law school. I can read quickly and I find that it takes me far longer to get through my reading than I ever expected it to. For someone like him, it's not just the exam, but the amount of information that needs to be taken in and there are no real accommodations for that. A prof. is not going to slow his pace for one student.

At Gw classes are recorded and another student is paid to take notes for the accommodated student

paul34

Postby paul34 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:13 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:

Exams are one thing - what happens when he is a real lawyer? I don't think clients are going to accommodate him in the same way. I also don't think his firm is going to be willing to halve his billables.

On the other hand, maybe he doesn't want to do that kind of law. My assumption could be invalid. Perhaps he wants to do some other kind of law or something JD-related but not really law.

If this guy really has serious ADD issues, then I feel for him. However, he needs to be cognizant of what happens during the actual practice of law - because there are little to no special accommodations available there.

tedler

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:17 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedler

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:41 pm

tedler wrote:
dood wrote:u guys know most law schools give double time on law school exams to ADD kids right? same as LSAC, they just mark it on ur transcript.

Sure, but it has to end somewhere. As others have pointed out, asterisks don't work once you get out into the real world. It seems cruel and misguided to allow these people to waste years of their lives (and lots of cash) on law school, only to realize they won't make it in the field.

I dunno man. winners win bro; somebody gotta lose.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:44 pm

tedler wrote:Double? DOUBLE??

Double the time + Legal Adderrall= Winning the LSAT

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:51 pm

dood wrote:u guys know most law schools give double time on law school exams to ADD kids right? same as LSAC, they just mark it on ur transcript.

The way I found out about this is that I heard that someone from my school who had good enough grades to transfer to Y/H/S was given something like double time on each exam... That more or less totally took the wind out of my excitement for this person in being able to make the transfer (at least shortly after hearing that). I don't know if it was just a rumor though.. But even if not, being bitter or envious about it obviously won't help anything, and I imagine these accommodations are typically legit, including in this person's case (i.e. often there is some genuine form of disability).
Last edited by Lawquacious on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Shit I have ADD... And with just 5 min extended sections I got straight 175s... Too late to drop out and retake?

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:09 am

tedler wrote:

Sure, but it has to end somewhere. As others have pointed out, asterisks don't work once you get out into the real world. It seems cruel and misguided to allow these people to waste years of their lives (and lots of cash) on law school, only to realize they won't make it in the field.

As a former RSP student with ADHD, I definitely found that a lot of teachers were more than willing to decide what I was capable of in the future based on my performance in their boring-assed classes. You sound like one of them.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:18 am

I do not have a problem with people getting accommodations. What I AM worried about is that this will lead to other people who don't really deserve them trying to get them.

tedler

Postby tedler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:19 am

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:25 am

as someone with a good bit of experience with this sort of stuff it looks like the student has issues with writing/ motor skills. almost all of the accommodations seem to match in that way--handwriting is likely large and difficult to read. probably has difficulty bubbling which explains the special sheet. all of that would seriously justify double time.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:33 am

tedler wrote:
As a former RSP student with ADHD, I definitely found that a lot of teachers were more than willing to decide what I was capable of in the future based on my performance in their boring-assed classes. You sound like one of them.

Instead of comparing me to your former teachers, how about you actually argue against my point?

Your point was that you think "these people" are "wasting" their time and money, which rests on the assumption that because they have asterisks on their records, they cannot, and therefore will not succeed in their professions. My counterargument is my life, you douchebag.

For the record, I think double time is too much. Then again, I don't know this guy, and maybe he needs it. And like the poster above me, I'd be pretty upset if accommodations were being abused because, like everyone else, I want the playing field to be level.
Last edited by 3v3ryth1ng on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedler

Postby tedler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:33 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”