LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 pm

So, while they're still denying nursing moms extra time on the LSAT to pump breastmilk (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=167563), LSAC just reached a settlement with the Justice Department over this case of a test-taker with ADD and a learning disability:

As part of the settlement, the council agreed to double the standard testing time on each section and to allow the complainant breaks between sections, a separate and quiet testing area, permission to use his own computer for the writing section, permission to use scratch paper and use of an alternative answer sheet.


The test-taker in question has "received testing accommodations from elementary school through his graduation in three years from the University of Minnesota in 2009, including on national standardized tests such as PSAT, SAT and Advanced Placement exams."

More details at http://www.startribune.com/local/131068848.html

User avatar
tedler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:31 pm

.
Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby tmon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 pm

I almost posted this in the October wait thread but was afraid of the things I'd say in response to it...

User avatar
Angrygeopolitically
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm sorry I started reading your post but then my video game just called to me; what- i'm at home right now-oops I thought I was texting. So what is this post about?

*documented evidence

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Not only should they get twice the time, so should many sufferers of ADD. However, their scores should be evaluated separately from other test-takers.

Can you imagine what the curve would be? -3 would be a 170; fine by me.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:So, while they're still denying nursing moms extra time on the LSAT to pump breastmilk (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=167563), LSAC just reached a settlement with the Justice Department over this case of a test-taker with ADD and a learning disability:

As part of the settlement, the council agreed to double the standard testing time on each section and to allow the complainant breaks between sections, a separate and quiet testing area, permission to use his own computer for the writing section, permission to use scratch paper and use of an alternative answer sheet.


The test-taker in question has "received testing accommodations from elementary school through his graduation in three years from the University of Minnesota in 2009, including on national standardized tests such as PSAT, SAT and Advanced Placement exams."

More details at http://www.startribune.com/local/131068848.html


I would like to know what his LD is outside of ADD because he managed some ridiculous accommodations. Twice the time and scratch paper for LG. Wow. Though someone should've probably told him not to worry about the computer for the writing sample.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Angrygeopolitically wrote:I'm sorry I started reading your post but then my video game just called to me; what- i'm at home right now-oops I thought I was texting. So what is this post about?

*documented evidence

:mrgreen:

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Forrest Gump, UMinn '12

User avatar
tedler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby KibblesAndVick » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:18 pm

tedler wrote:
"They are of the belief that giving extra time is giving an advantage, but there is no credible proof that that's the case."


I'd like to have a word with this fellow...


If extra time isn't an advantage why would he file seven different law suits seeking extra time? So he could get the same score while spending twice as much free time on a Saturday? I don't have a problem with LSAC being more flexible to accommodate learning disabilities, nursing mothers, and the like but don't piss on my foot and tell me it's raining...

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 pm

double time is absolutely ridiculous.... ridiculous.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Double time is a guaranteed 180 for me, no question. That's BS. I can see them giving him an extra 5 minutes and a bathroom break, but double time?
Last edited by Blumpbeef on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mmk33
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby mmk33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 pm

This is a joke. Anyone could get 170+ with double time, and someone getting mid-160s under normal timing would be guaranteed 177+.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 pm

I have a feeling all the time in the world won't make a difference for this guy.

06162014123
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 pm

.

Postby 06162014123 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 pm

.
Last edited by 06162014123 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

RedShift wrote:I fail to see how half of those accommodations are even relevant to ADD. Extra time and breaks I get, but using a computer? Alternative answer sheet? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the symptoms of the disorder, but those don't appear necessary for someone who can't focus and/or is hyperactive.

In at least some English universities they allow students with dyslexia and the like extra time on all exams, but they also stamp their transcripts to identify them as students who receive special accommodations. I like the idea, personally. By putting an asterisk next to their grades and standardized test scores you alert graduate programs and possibly some employers to the issue and let them figure out how to handle it.


Well LSAC notes that the test was taken under accomodations I think

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby tmon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:29 pm

RedShift wrote:I fail to see how half of those accommodations are even relevant to ADD. Extra time and breaks I get, but using a computer? Alternative answer sheet? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the symptoms of the disorder, but those don't appear necessary for someone who can't focus and/or is hyperactive.

In at least some English universities they allow students with dyslexia and the like extra time on all exams, but they also stamp their transcripts to identify them as students who receive special accommodations. I like the idea, personally. By putting an asterisk next to their grades and standardized test scores you alert graduate programs and possibly some employers to the issue and let them figure out how to handle it.

I thought all LSAT-takers who received accommodations had a note on the score report designating so? Is that not the case?

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

tmon wrote:
RedShift wrote:I fail to see how half of those accommodations are even relevant to ADD. Extra time and breaks I get, but using a computer? Alternative answer sheet? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the symptoms of the disorder, but those don't appear necessary for someone who can't focus and/or is hyperactive.

In at least some English universities they allow students with dyslexia and the like extra time on all exams, but they also stamp their transcripts to identify them as students who receive special accommodations. I like the idea, personally. By putting an asterisk next to their grades and standardized test scores you alert graduate programs and possibly some employers to the issue and let them figure out how to handle it.

I thought all LSAT-takers who received accommodations had a note on the score report designating so? Is that not the case?


"If you receive additional test time as an accommodation for your condition, LSAC will send a statement with your Credential Assembly Service (CAS) or LSAT Law School Reports advising that your score(s) should be interpreted with great sensitivity and flexibility. "

User avatar
tedler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 pm

.
Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
loomstate
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:07 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby loomstate » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 pm

[/quote]
I thought all LSAT-takers who received accommodations had a note on the score report designating so? Is that not the case?[/quote]

+1

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 pm

lsatprepguy wrote:
RedShift wrote:I fail to see how half of those accommodations are even relevant to ADD. Extra time and breaks I get, but using a computer? Alternative answer sheet? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the symptoms of the disorder, but those don't appear necessary for someone who can't focus and/or is hyperactive.

In at least some English universities they allow students with dyslexia and the like extra time on all exams, but they also stamp their transcripts to identify them as students who receive special accommodations. I like the idea, personally. By putting an asterisk next to their grades and standardized test scores you alert graduate programs and possibly some employers to the issue and let them figure out how to handle it.


Well LSAC notes that the test was taken under accomodations I think


But these aren't normal accommodations.

Maybe they'll give him double asterisks.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 pm

I'd like to know what the unspecified learning disability is that the article mentions this guy as having. For all we know it could justify these accommodations.

Although if you'd all prefer to get mad on imperfect information then I can yield to the complaints of DEY TURK ER SCORES.

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:35 pm

tedler wrote:If law schools are actually able to discriminate based on the "asterisk" (as they should be), it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?


but how do you know they will? i wonder if tests taken under accommodations are factored into the medians for the entering class

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 pm

dhrizek wrote:So is he going to bill half price when he becomes a lawyer?

Double time is a guaranteed 180 for me, no question. That's BS. I can see them giving him an extra 5 minutes and a bathroom break, but double time?

Double time is a guaranteed 180 for me... and I'm just hoping I got a 165 last Saturday

Seriously fuck this... people that abuse things like this are the reason why people who really have problems end up getting screwed

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: LSAC gives ADD test-taker 2x time

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I'd like to know what the unspecified learning disability is that the article mentions this guy as having. For all we know it could justify these accommodations.

Although if you'd all prefer to get mad on imperfect information then I can yield to the complaints of DEY TURK ER SCORES.


Isn't it ADD?

And we're just here to kill time,

because dey wunt giv us ar scores!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Binghamton1018, gwillygecko, Instrumental, SunDevil14 and 21 guests