I'm a junior, should I cancel?

BSC
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

I'm a junior, should I cancel?

Postby BSC » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 pm

So I started studying in the middle of the summer and about a month before the test I was averaging in the 170s. But when school started, my scores started fluctuating from 175 to as low as 164. My last 4 scores before the test were 174, 168, 172, 170. And what I usually do is rely on a -0 on the games and the others vary from -4 to -10 combined. However this weekend I literally guessed D on the last 5 games questions, and was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY nervous during all the others. All I want is a 170 because my top schools are virginia, duke, and vandy. And like I mentioned, I'm a junior so I have all the time in the world to get that 170.

here's what I think about my options:
Pro's for keeping my score are that there's still a chance I got my score, the lowest I feel like I got was a 165 and that's not too bad for a retake, and I'm pretty happy with the idea of living in Alabama (where I'm from) so I wouldn't mind going to school at Bama.

My pro's for canceling are obvious. higher score, and no lower score.

I don't know what's more miserable, the 6 days you have to cancel you score or the 3 weeks waiting...

User avatar
lsatprepguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 am

Re: I'm a junior, should I cancel?

Postby lsatprepguy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 pm

BSC wrote:So I started studying in the middle of the summer and about a month before the test I was averaging in the 170s. But when school started, my scores started fluctuating from 175 to as low as 164. My last 4 scores before the test were 174, 168, 172, 170. And what I usually do is rely on a -0 on the games and the others vary from -4 to -10 combined. However this weekend I literally guessed D on the last 5 games questions, and was EXTREMELY EXTREMELY nervous during all the others. All I want is a 170 because my top schools are virginia, duke, and vandy. And like I mentioned, I'm a junior so I have all the time in the world to get that 170.

here's what I think about my options:
Pro's for keeping my score are that there's still a chance I got my score, the lowest I feel like I got was a 165 and that's not too bad for a retake, and I'm pretty happy with the idea of living in Alabama (where I'm from) so I wouldn't mind going to school at Bama.

My pro's for canceling are obvious. higher score, and no lower score.

I don't know what's more miserable, the 6 days you have to cancel you score or the 3 weeks waiting...


imo, you shouldn't cancel. The nervous feeling you had doesn't necessarily mean you did bad. Guessing on the last 5 of games is unusual if you were hoping for -0 games, but I think a lot of people are in a similar situation. You will kick yourself in the ass if you cancel and you actually would have had over a 170. So why risk it for perhaps getting at the lowest a mid 160s score, which if you retook it, that 165ish wouldn't really hurt you enough in admissions to the schools you mentioned to worry about.

User avatar
paul34
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: I'm a junior, should I cancel?

Postby paul34 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:04 pm

I would not cancel. Most schools, although they do see all the scores, consider only the highest score. Might as well find out what you got. Things could be worse than guessing on 5 in LG. I too am hoping for many Ds in the LG section :shock:

Besides, if you cancel, you also won't be able to see what questions you missed, which could be useful for future prep if you decide to retake. Since you're a junior, you have plenty of time to take another test... just be careful not to burn out.

User avatar
zdamico
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: I'm a junior, should I cancel?

Postby zdamico » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 pm

I agree with the above posters.

I am a Junior as well, and I've been prepping where you are, and I felt a little iffy about my LG and so-so on a LR, but I am not cancelling.

I understand your situation is a bit different, but if you feel as though 165 is likely as low as you'll go, I would say don't cancel. If that's your floor, than your ceiling is probably above 170, and a 165 won't be a huge deal if you re-take at low 170s.

Good luck!!

BSC
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: I'm a junior, should I cancel?

Postby BSC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:59 am

Alright, thanks for all the input. I feel a lot better about it now. The waiting begins!

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: I'm a junior, should I cancel?

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:01 am

Oh man. So ahead of the curve. Make sure you start on those PS's this year/this summer. Trust me, doing them now is not fun at all.

Good luck guys!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests