The October talk made me do the Dinosaur game...

180asBreath

The October talk made me do the Dinosaur game...

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:31 pm

All of the talk, about how the LG threw people off, was making me anxious. To feel better, I decided to do the Dinosaur game. I have never successfully completed it; I've attempted it a couple of times in the past, only to abandon it after a few minutes of confusion.

Well, I scored a -0 in 15 minutes (the timing was completely unacceptable, I know); I just needed to feel like there is no game that is outside of my grasp. I actually had a nightmare, last night, that I took the LSAT and all 4 games were the hardest games I had ever seen - and I didn't know where to begin.

*shudders*

mmk33

Re: The October talk made me do the Dinosaur game...

Postby mmk33 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Unless you are incredible at games (-0 or -1 with very little practice) the best practice for LG is to do difficult questions under strict time constraints, where you are forced to develop strategies (coming up with hypothetical situations, eliminating answer choices that cannot be correct, using past work to eliminate answer choices, "trying out" answer choices using the most restricted elements first). Since ultimately you don't know what you will face in the test, and if you can't completely solve or figure out a game you want to have a bunch of different tools to go to so you can calm yourself, knock out some of the questions, and worst case scenario guess on a couple. At least that's what I've tried to do since I've had a bunch of LG -0 but others where I run out of time, and clearly during the actual test it is easier to get stressed and lose track of time or use time inefficiently.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

I came across the Dino game in PT's without even realizing it. I completed it faster than any other LG I have ever encountered / got a -0. The 3rd LG on Oct. 2011 test KILLED me though

Idk, I guess different people find different games difficult

Mitterrand

Postby Mitterrand » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:00 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I came across the Dino game in PT's without even realizing it. I completed it faster than any other LG I have ever encountered / got a -0. The 3rd LG on Oct. 2011 test KILLED me though

Idk, I guess different people find different games difficult

Same. Our last testmasters diagnostic included the dinosaur game and i finished that section with 5 minuts and went -0. But i had trouble with the October games, i didn't even finish.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 pm

I think the Dinos game is overrated. I think stained glass was harder

moopness

Postby moopness » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Stained glass and muave dinos were really easy (i.e. overrated). Only game that I would ever consider 'hard' would be snakes and lizards. 3rd game from the test a few days ago wasn't that bad, just two problems that were excessively time consumming

vodkashot

Postby vodkashot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Yeah, dinos could be cracked open fairly easily if you made a couple of deductions.

I would say snakes/lizards and Zephyr airlines were much more difficult. And maybe the music store's new and used CDs (though I may hate that one for mostly personal reasons).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:05 pm

TLS continues its proud tradition of a new thread getting started every time someone thinks or does something and forgets the link to twitter.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:TLS continues its proud tradition of a new thread getting started every time someone thinks or does something and forgets the link to twitter.

Bildungsroman: >17 posts a day
180asbreath: ~2 posts a day

Mauve Dinosaur

Postby Mauve Dinosaur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Oh man I lost my shit the first time I saw that game. It's the law student equivalent of the Water Temple (and inspiration for my username).

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:37 pm

vodkashot wrote:Yeah, dinos could be cracked open fairly easily if you made a couple of deductions.

I would say snakes/lizards and Zephyr airlines were much more difficult. And maybe the music store's new and used CDs (though I may hate that one for mostly personal reasons).

Interesting. I found the latter games: snakes/lizards, zephyr airlines, CDs to be rather easy.. Dinosaurs was incredibly time consuming and the first time I tried it, I wasn't so happy...

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm

180asBreath wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:TLS continues its proud tradition of a new thread getting started every time someone thinks or does something and forgets the link to twitter.

Stating a random and unrelated fact in response to a complaint? You'll go far as a lawyer.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 pm

180asBreath wrote:

logical reasoning fail.

TrojanHopeful

Postby TrojanHopeful » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:11 pm

TLS continues its proud tradition of criticizing people for posting threads in a place where you are supposed to, well, post threads.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Strange wrote:I think the Dinos game is overrated. I think stained glass was harder

I think "conferences" is harder then both of them.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm

I absolutely suck at LG and I thought stained glass section wasn't bad at all. -2 and I've PTed as high as -8 in LG.
Sigh... getting -3 or less on LG and I'm low to mid 170s. Screw up a LG and it's awful. Pretty sure I'm -7 on October's bikes.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Stating a random and unrelated fact in response to a complaint? You'll go far as a lawyer.

You don't know what random means; you won't go far as a lawyer.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
180asBreath wrote:

logical reasoning fail.

Explain.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm

180asBreath wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
180asBreath wrote:

logical reasoning fail.

Explain.

His point was that you started a 'cool story bro' worthy thread. You countered by trying to essentially say 'NO U' by stating he has more posts. But the fact that he has a lot of posts doesn't prove anything, and isn't really related to the worth of his posts/threads that he's started. So proving that he posts a lot does nothing to discredit him, and is in fact rather random because it has no logical bearing on the point he made.

If you had countered by linking to a stupid thread he'd started, at least that would be relevant (even though it would still be a LR fail)

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:58 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:His point was that you started a 'cool story bro' worthy thread. You countered by trying to essentially say 'NO U' by stating he has more posts. But the fact that he has a lot of posts doesn't prove anything, and isn't really related to the worth of his posts/threads that he's started. So proving that he posts a lot does nothing to discredit him, and is in fact rather random because it has no logical bearing on the point he made.

If you had countered by linking to a stupid thread he'd started, at least that would be relevant (even though it would still be a LR fail)

1. He said that my post belonged on Twitter
2. I cited his high post rate, tacitly implying that he must make a ton of Twitter-esque posts so he should shut his mouth; I was not making a logical point, I was explaining that he shouldn't be hypocritical - judging a 2 post-a-day poster when his post rate is ridiculously high.
3. There was no argumentation, therefore it could not be a logical reasoning fail.
4. You should look up "random" in the dictionary

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:59 pm

180asBreath wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:His point was that you started a 'cool story bro' worthy thread. You countered by trying to essentially say 'NO U' by stating he has more posts. But the fact that he has a lot of posts doesn't prove anything, and isn't really related to the worth of his posts/threads that he's started. So proving that he posts a lot does nothing to discredit him, and is in fact rather random because it has no logical bearing on the point he made.

1. He said that my post belonged on Twitter
2. I cited his high post rate, tacitly implying that he must make a ton of Twitter-esque posts so he should shut his mouth; I was not making a logical point, I was explaining that he shouldn't be hypocritical - judging a 2 post-a-day poster when his post rate is ridiculously high.
3. There was no argumentation, therefore it could not be a logical reasoning fail.
4. You should look up "random" in the dictionary

/shrug

cool story bro.

180asBreath

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, you had an opportunity to learn the meaning of a common, every day word and you balked.

*shrugs*

chup

Postby chup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:TLS continues its proud tradition of STARTING STUPID PISSING MATCHES OVER FUCK ALL.

Fix'd.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 pm

chup wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:TLS continues its proud tradition of STARTING STUPID PISSING MATCHES OVER FUCK ALL.

Fix'd.

I'm sad the whole SF swarm never really took off.

tedler

Postby tedler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”