Misbubbling Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Mauve Dinosaur

New

Misbubbling

Post by Mauve Dinosaur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Hey October LSAT waiters. Ever consider the possibility that, even if you did awesome, there is the possibility you misbubbled an entire section, leading to an under 150 score? It's been keeping me up lately.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Misbubbling

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:41 pm

You'll be able to look at a scan of your actual answer sheet when you get your results back.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Hey October LSAT waiters. Ever consider the possibility that, even if you did awesome, there is the possibility you misbubbled an entire section, leading to an under 150 score? It's been keeping me up lately.
If you did, in fact, clearly and obviously misbubble, you can order hand-grading

GIGIILO

New

Post by GIGIILO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 pm

I have been second-guessing myself about almost everything about this test. I felt strong in LG especially when I found out the one that killed me was experimental but now I'm paranoid I misbubbled among other things..this wait is pure misery

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:44 pm

Curious1 wrote:
Mauve Dinosaur wrote:Hey October LSAT waiters. Ever consider the possibility that, even if you did awesome, there is the possibility you misbubbled an entire section, leading to an under 150 score? It's been keeping me up lately.
If you did, in fact, clearly and obviously misbubble, you can order hand-grading
I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of anyone who missbubbled getting their score changed by hand-grading. AFAIK, hand-grading is for when something went wrong when your sheet got scanned and it got mis-read or the bubbles weren't dark enough but were obviously filled in correctly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mauve Dinosaur

New

Post by Mauve Dinosaur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 pm

I know that, but I keep running through the test in my mind. I don't think I made a bubbling error, but you never know, do you? Ugh I just want my score. 20 more days.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of anyone who missbubbled getting their score changed by hand-grading. AFAIK, hand-grading is for when something went wrong when your sheet got scanned and it got mis-read or the bubbles weren't dark enough but were obviously filled in correctly.
I think if you obviously left a row blank and all the other questions fall into place if you moved it up one row then your score can be changed.

For example, you skip row 2, and end at row 28 when the section only had 27 questions.

Mauve Dinosaur

New

Post by Mauve Dinosaur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:48 pm

EDIT: Nevermind question was answered

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Curious1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
I think if you obviously left a row blank and all the other questions fall into place if you moved it up one row then your score can be changed.

For example, you skip row 2, and end at row 28 when the section only had 27 questions.
Incorrect... I did this very same thing (though I skipped 15 and bubbled 16-27 rather than 15-26)... LSAC told me to shove it. All my answers were correct. Luckily, there was a series of 4 straight D's, so I only ended up missing 9 instead of 12, but my score went from 178 to 169.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 pm

I keep thinking about this and its scary. I didn't do my reading comps in order and I am worrying that when I skipped from Passage 2 to Passage 4, I started bubbling in the wrong place. I ran out of time on Passage 3 so I didn't have a chance to check.... as I ended up blindly guessing on the last 4 questions of Passage 3.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm

I think about this all the time.

Especially since I do LR backwards sometimes, hand grading wouldn't work for me.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Someone ITT: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=167270
called LSAC and they said that if there was a clear sign that a whole group of answers had been misbubbled, that they would try to sort it out for a small fee (probably similar the the hand-grading fee). It's also best if TCR is circled in the test booklet.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Yea, I've been spazzing out about this too. At one point in LR from like 12-18 I had misbubbled. Thankfully I caught it with time at the end because I was one over and just went back and matched them up from there, but I didn't get a chance to review my section cuz of it and I'm still paranoid as shit that I missed something on another section.

At this point I'm just waiting for the score and getting on with life in the meantime. I've woken up spazzing about a games question, Misbubbling and god knows what else. I'm bored of being stressed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:03 pm

I literally misbubbled questions 6-27 in RC and realized it with around ~2 minutes left on Saturday. You can imagine the sheer insanity that ensued inside of my head. Luckily I was able to erase everything and (hopefully) bubbled it all correctly! I was even able to doublecheck them. But still...I've been doubting myself a little.

CodyRuegger

New

Post by CodyRuegger » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:43 pm

You probably didn't misbubble - if you did, you would have likely caught it at the end of the section when you bubbled in your final question and realized it didn't add up properly. This happened to me on my fourth section, turns out I smushed #11 and #12 into the same line.

Still, outlandish fears are always the worst, aren't they?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Someone ITT: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 6&t=167270
called LSAC and they said that if there was a clear sign that a whole group of answers had been misbubbled, that they would try to sort it out for a small fee (probably similar the the hand-grading fee). It's also best if TCR is circled in the test booklet.
Again, I can't speak to what that specific person was told, but I can tell you unequivocally that I was denied any such courtesy by LSAC. I was told simply that hand-grading is solely for issues out of my control, such as machine error. However, my own incompetence is not something that is reviewable. I guess I understand on an enterprise level, because if they were to hand score an answer sheet because someone misbubbled a block of questions, what's to stop every test taker from calling in and requesting handscoring for one or two questions?

Either way, if you end up misbubbling, it can't hurt to ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

inflightradio

New

Post by inflightradio » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:08 am

It's so weird to see that so many of us have the same fears. I too skipped a question or two here and there, and though I made sure to always mark the area next to it just in case... I mean, I was pretty hopped up on adrenaline through the test and the whole thing is honestly a blur. We just have to hope for the best!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuffedtobits

New

Post by chuffedtobits » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 am

I actually misbubbled almost an entire section on the October test. Spent critical time fixing it because I was not aware of the hand scoring option. I called LSAC up yesterday and they said if it is obvious you misbubbled they can fix it with the hand scoring option. I have no actual experience with it though and some posters here seem to indicate LSAC are being disingenuous.

Let's put it this way if you fail, fail hard. Getting a whole section wrong and getting -15 is easier to resolve on your addendum than getting -5 wrong. In other words I highly doubt even those schools that do average will do it with a 140 and a 180.

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:06 am

chuffedtobits wrote:I actually misbubbled almost an entire section on the October test. Spent critical time fixing it because I was not aware of the hand scoring option. I called LSAC up yesterday and they said if it is obvious you misbubbled they can fix it with the hand scoring option. I have no actual experience with it though and some posters here seem to indicate LSAC are being disingenuous.

Let's put it this way if you fail, fail hard. Getting a whole section wrong and getting -15 is easier to resolve on your addendum than getting -5 wrong. In other words I highly doubt even those schools that do average will do it with a 140 and a 180.
This will probably depend on how obvious your misbubbling is. Or rather obvious is in the hands of the beholder.

I guess if you skipped row 7 and then proceeded to fill in every row after that that could be obvious. But when you skip around on LG or RC, you might intend to go from game 2 to game 4 but instead of starting on #16, you start on #17 or something. Then you run out of time for game #3 and end up putting a string of D's for everything in between. Then it's not so obvious.

chuffedtobits

New

Post by chuffedtobits » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:21 am

Kess wrote:
chuffedtobits wrote:I actually misbubbled almost an entire section on the October test. Spent critical time fixing it because I was not aware of the hand scoring option. I called LSAC up yesterday and they said if it is obvious you misbubbled they can fix it with the hand scoring option. I have no actual experience with it though and some posters here seem to indicate LSAC are being disingenuous.

This will probably depend on how obvious your misbubbling is. Or rather obvious is in the hands of the beholder.

I guess if you skipped row 7 and then proceeded to fill in every row after that that could be obvious. But when you skip around on LG or RC, you might intend to go from game 2 to game 4 but instead of starting on #16, you start on #17 or something. Then you run out of time for game #3 and end up putting a string of D's for everything in between. Then it's not so obvious.
It's a moot point now for me. I completely did not realize I skipped #8 I think on the LG and misbubbled everything 1 up until #20. I fixed everything, but was so shaken that I lost focus and time. Ended up guessing on the last few. Luckily I regained my composure for the rest of the exam, but still could be unnecessary points off and I am leaning on a cancel.

dsosah

New

Post by dsosah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 am

I haven't taken the actual test yet, but I find ridiculous the LSAT's "bubbling" method. The legibility is awful. I mean, they could at least make the thing into a whole page to make the letters bigger, instead of cramming up this huge list of letters in that little space, which makes it extremely easy to make a mistake while transferring your answers. Seriously, if you want to make the test harder, make harder questions, but making it difficult to transfer our selected answers into the sheet? it just doesn't seems logical. It is really annoying to have to worry about this after you spent time thinking about the question and already selected your answer.
It is an easy fix and I do not understand why they keep doing it like this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:00 pm

bigger bubbles take longer to fill in, though

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:01 pm

dsosah wrote:I haven't taken the actual test yet, but I find ridiculous the LSAT's "bubbling" method. The legibility is awful. I mean, they could at least make the thing into a whole page to make the letters bigger, instead of cramming up this huge list of letters in that little space, which makes it extremely easy to make a mistake while transferring your answers. Seriously, if you want to make the test harder, make harder questions, but making it difficult to transfer our selected answers into the sheet? it just doesn't seems logical. It is really annoying to have to worry about this after you spent time thinking about the question and already selected your answer.
It is an easy fix and I do not understand why they keep doing it like this.
It's just like every other standardized test we've taken OUR ENTIRE LIVES. If you haven't figured out how to fill in (perfectly legible) bubbles by now, you've got bigger issues.

Klaus Von Murder

New

Post by Klaus Von Murder » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah I'm wondering if I misbubbled but i like to worry about everything. What if a rogue proctor burned my LSAt? What if the scoring machine explodes? Think of the possibilities ;)

Fairy24

New

Post by Fairy24 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Bahahahah yes if the machine explodes we are all screwed! But I do understand the fear of misbubbling. On my RC I accidentally skipped the 27 line and put my answer in 28 and caught it just as the proctor came to take up my sheet. I begged her to let me correct it and fortunately she did. I also accidentally skipped one in one of my LR sections but caught it and fixed them all....but yes the instances when you catch it make you wonder if there are any you didn't catch. I say that if you were alert enough to catch some, you probably caught all of them. We don't remember the ones we may have not caught because we were in the zone and probably did them right. Hope this helps!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”