4 months to prepare?

mgp2675

4 months to prepare?

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 am

I'm completing my undergrad in May of 2012 and my goal is to start taking classes at law school in Fall 2012. I understand this will be difficult because of the application process (waitlisting, etc.) and especially because I either want to go to a good school, or not go at all. However, I'm planning to take the LSAT in February 2012 which only gives me 4 months. I've started some prep for it but not nearly as much as I'm going to over the next few months. I guess my question is, is it feasible to do this? I understand everyone is different, but from the majority of you that have taken the LSAT, did you prepare for years or do you feel that a few months is enough to get the score I'd need?

I should also add that I don't work, and I have a good amount of time to devote to this (I know not to burnout and study for 6 hours a day, I would be realistic). I am still completing my undergrad, but I have a very good handle on my schoolwork. I still have more than enough time to study.

I'm assuming if I were to take the LSAT in June 2012 that wouldn't be a sufficient amount of time for the application process, correct?

Sorry this is long, I'm just trying to get a grip of this situation the best I can. Thank you so much if anyone has some useful advice.

Matt

mattviphky

Re: 4 months to prepare?

Postby mattviphky » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:28 am

that depends on you. some people need four months, some people need 3 months, a year, whatever. I took 6 months to study, but that is just what worked for me. During that six months i probably took about 4-5 weeks in breaks, and i didn't study everyday. I avoided burnout and was really able to digest the material in a way that was conducive for me. Some people though, only need to look at the stuff 5 hours a day for 6 weeks. Four months should be enough time to get a good grasp of everything. Just start studying and see what happens. However, if you don't score how you want in February, you can always chill for a bit and hit the books for june. Trust me, if you study for four months and then retake, the second time around is much easier as far as the studying part goes. Also, general consensus around here is that Feb is kind of a late time to take a test. You wouldn't get your score back until late february...I mean, if you have great numbers that is cool and all, but your best shot at admissions and especially scholarships is at the beginning of the cycle. But don't get hung up on all that. Just do your best studying, enjoy your last year at undergrad, take the test, and go from there. Good luck!!

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 am

mattviphky wrote:that depends on you. some people need four months, some people need 3 months, a year, whatever. I took 6 months to study, but that is just what worked for me. During that six months i probably took about 4-5 weeks in breaks, and i didn't study everyday. I avoided burnout and was really able to digest the material in a way that was conducive for me. Some people though, only need to look at the stuff 5 hours a day for 6 weeks. Four months should be enough time to get a good grasp of everything. Just start studying and see what happens. However, if you don't score how you want in February, you can always chill for a bit and hit the books for june. Trust me, if you study for four months and then retake, the second time around is much easier as far as the studying part goes. Also, general consensus around here is that Feb is kind of a late time to take a test. You wouldn't get your score back until late february...I mean, if you have great numbers that is cool and all, but your best shot at admissions and especially scholarships is at the beginning of the cycle. But don't get hung up on all that. Just do your best studying, enjoy your last year at undergrad, take the test, and go from there. Good luck!!

Thanks, that was great advice. I think I'm going to take it in February and see what happens. It's a lot to cram in a short amount of time, especially with me still finishing my undergrad but I really am trying to get in for the fall.

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 am

If I'm understanding you correctly, Taking the LSAT in February of 2012 and starting classes in fall of 2012 doesn't make sense.

It will be too late in the application cycle to apply with a February score , and then you would have to wait.

On another note, I had only three months to study and it was definitely enough. Four should be fine as long as you have a good plan.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm

As was discussed in the other thread, if you're looking to go to a top law school, you really shouldn't take the February exam and apply to start in the same year. You'll be at a severe disadvantage at some schools, and you won't even be able to apply with that score to other top schools.

As far as having 4 months, that's a good amount of time, assuming you prep smart. Where is your score at now? If you're coming from a 162, that's significantly different than starting at a 150. If you haven't taken diagnostic yet, that's the next thing you should do.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:51 pm

mgp2675 wrote:I'm completing my undergrad in May of 2012 and my goal is to start taking classes at law school in Fall 2012. I understand this will be difficult because of the application process (waitlisting, etc.) and especially because I either want to go to a good school, or not go at all. However, I'm planning to take the LSAT in February 2012 which only gives me 4 months. I've started some prep for it but not nearly as much as I'm going to over the next few months. I guess my question is, is it feasible to do this? I understand everyone is different, but from the majority of you that have taken the LSAT, did you prepare for years or do you feel that a few months is enough to get the score I'd need?

I should also add that I don't work, and I have a good amount of time to devote to this (I know not to burnout and study for 6 hours a day, I would be realistic). I am still completing my undergrad, but I have a very good handle on my schoolwork. I still have more than enough time to study.

I'm assuming if I were to take the LSAT in June 2012 that wouldn't be a sufficient amount of time for the application process, correct?

Sorry this is long, I'm just trying to get a grip of this situation the best I can. Thank you so much if anyone has some useful advice.

Matt

Sorry to bring bad news, but for a very large portion of schools, the February exam would be too late. You would need to take in December in order to enroll Fall of 2012.

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm just going to wait for the next cycle. I'll probably take it in June, and in October if I feel that I have to.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:46 pm

yeah, and if you feel like you need to retake, then you still have june. Either way you'll have your score by the time admissions open up in September. Seriously, in order to get the best school you can (or at least have the best possible chance), just wait. Sorry we're all getting hung up on that, but a year to focus on law school stuff and work will be good. It will help you figure out a lot of things and it'll look good for admissions, plus you can save some money. But don't worry about this now, just enjoy studying!

mgp2675

Postby mgp2675 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 am

I don't think one ever "enjoys" studying but we'll see.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”