Dec. 2011 Retakers Study Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
emkay625

Gold

Dec. 2011 Retakers Study Thread

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 pm

Would anybody be interested in creating a common schedule/group just for retakers in December?

I want to because I need creative study methods - already done every single released question, some twice, so I'm going to have to get a little creative.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Re: Dec. 2011 Retakers Study Thread

Post by HellOnHeels » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

You know, I was just thinking about creative studying methods earlier today, with regards to logic games. I've worked all my logic games at least twice, and I got to wondering... I used to do these puzzle books that had logic games in them, where it lists off the 'clues' and you have to figure everything out. The puzzles usually involved ~3 variables (so you'd have some like Mark in the red coat, with the blue wallet, and the green scarf; Marie in the green coat, with the yellow purse, and the purple scarf, etc).

I wonder how well those would work :)

Edit: these!
https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/Upload ... reepuz.pdf

bullfrog

New

Post by bullfrog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:52 pm

emkay625 wrote:Would anybody be interested in creating a common schedule/group just for retakers in December?

I want to because I need creative study methods - already done every single released question, some twice, so I'm going to have to get a little creative.
Count me in, emkay.

I've done all of the games from 1-40 three times each, but the games from 40-64 only once. Everyone on these forums was always talking about how easy the newer games are compared ot the older games, and so I weighted my study to the older games. In retrospect, I wouldn't say the newer games are really easier, per say. The skills involved are distinctly different. Besides going through those later game sections twice more each, I'm also thinking seriously about Manhattan's logic games book which is supposedly geared towards "the new generation" of games. Their RC book up'ed my game bigtime. Either that or work through the explanations provided by Steve at "Ace the LSAT" - he is really very good. Maybe both.

For Logic reasoning, there's really nothing better than going through questions you've got wrong in the past and drilling yourself on them again and again. If you've really done all the preptests, then I'm sure that adds up to a fair number of questions. Another good idea is Cambridge LSAT's packages of questions grouped by type for some targeted training (formal logic, for example). I just wish he had questions from the newer tests. If I were rich, I would try Velocity LSAT. Since I'm not rich, I will not try Velocity LSAT. Oh well.

What do you have in mind?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 pm

bullfrog wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Would anybody be interested in creating a common schedule/group just for retakers in December?

Count me in, emkay.

I've done all of the games from 1-40 three times each, but the games from 40-64 only once. Everyone on these forums was always talking about how easy the newer games are compared ot the older games, and so I weighted my study to the older games. In retrospect, I wouldn't say the newer games are really easier, per say. The skills involved are distinctly different. Besides going through those later game sections twice more each, I'm also thinking seriously about Manhattan's logic games book which is supposedly geared towards "the new generation" of games. Their RC book up'ed my game bigtime. Either that or work through the explanations provided by Steve at "Ace the LSAT" - he is really very good. Maybe both.

For Logic reasoning, there's really nothing better than going through questions you've got wrong in the past and drilling yourself on them again and again. If you've really done all the preptests, then I'm sure that adds up to a fair number of questions. Another good idea is Cambridge LSAT's packages of questions grouped by type for some targeted training (formal logic, for example). I just wish he had questions from the newer tests. If I were rich, I would try Velocity LSAT. Since I'm not rich, I will not try Velocity LSAT. Oh well.

What do you have in mind?
No clue yet. Hoping we could come to some kind of plan using our combined powers of awesomeness and then meet online once a week to discuss.

hamsamitchguy03

New

Post by hamsamitchguy03 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:21 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Are you sure you are re-taking, or just preparing for having to do so? I was thinking about studying some over the next three weeks juuuuust in case because I am definitely not sitting out a cycle, but ugh that sounds so miserable.

UofO

New

Post by UofO » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:10 am

I'm in. I'm going to start studying soon, but I am not sure if I am re-taking. I'm waiting till I get my score back; however, I want to start studying just in case.

Has everyone else started, or finished, their PS yet?

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 am

luxxe wrote:

Are you sure you are re-taking, or just preparing for having to do so? I was thinking about studying some over the next three weeks juuuuust in case because I am definitely not sitting out a cycle, but ugh that sounds so miserable.
I am on the same boat as well! Please count me in! I've been studying with Manhattan LSAT for the Oct, but something just went totally wrong in that test room, and so I can see myself retaking it in December (like 99.9% sure) -- so I would love to be a part of a study group! :)

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 am

UofO wrote:I'm in. I'm going to start studying soon, but I am not sure if I am re-taking. I'm waiting till I get my score back; however, I want to start studying just in case.

I've started working on my PS.. but because I've just not been able to get out of the shock I received from the lsat on Saturday, my PS is definitely not turning out so nicely... :cry: Have you started yours?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UofO

New

Post by UofO » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 am

Schang1 wrote:
UofO wrote:I'm in. I'm going to start studying soon, but I am not sure if I am re-taking. I'm waiting till I get my score back; however, I want to start studying just in case.

I've started working on my PS.. but because I've just not been able to get out of the shock I received from the lsat on Saturday, my PS is definitely not turning out so nicely... :cry: Have you started yours?
Will start today; actually, i'm going to start by reading the TLS personal statement section.

Btw, relax a bit. I'm sure you did better than you think. What were you pting and what is your target score?

asunshinee

New

Post by asunshinee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 am

I'm in. Not sure if I'm retaking or not yet, but might as well be prepared just in case.

What books does everyone recommend? I stuck with just kaplan and doing all the PTs.. but I really want a new/improved method and figure y'all know better than anyone else.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 am

UofO wrote:
Schang1 wrote:

Will start today; actually, i'm going to start by reading the TLS personal statement section.

Btw, relax a bit. I'm sure you did better than you think. What were you pting and what is your target score?
Thanks for the words. But I really don't think I did better than I think (?) lol I took the June exam, got a 160 (8 points below what I've been scoring) -- and then I prepped again for the Oct and was consistently scoring in the 166-168 range (have hit 170+ 3 times, but because I was never consistent, I know that's not my "real" score) but that is no different than what I was scoring for the June exam -- and the other thing is, I walked out of the June exam at least knowing that I got none wrong in the LG section, and that was the only reason I kept my score (since I thought I would still have gotten at least a 165, but I was totally wrong - I ended up getting -7 misses on an LR section that I thought I got -1 or -2 max on! made some stupid mistakes). But this time, I feel even worse since for the first time ever, I felt screwed on an LG section... I mean I've heard everyone else talk about how much of a bitch the LG was, but it didn't make me feel better at all since my score depends on the other sections, not the games. :( So I really wanted to start with 23 points and go up from there (like I always did), but now, I know I'm starting with at least -8 misses because I rushed through the last two games in literally 12 minutes... totally guessed the last 4 questions PLUS I already know I got 1 misses from each of the 1st and 2nd game (literally remembered all the rules and scenario of the game, so I set it up when I got back home and totally screwed two questions I thought I was right on) so yeah... this sucks.

TIKITEMBO

Silver

Post by TIKITEMBO » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm in.

Took PT's 29-38 a few in the 40's and a few in the 50's. I really need to focus on drilling games, having enough time to complete the last passage of RC, and shoring up LR for parallel reasoning questions, assumption, strengthen, and JTC questions for good measure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

equivocation

New

Post by equivocation » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm game. I'm trying to figure out the best plan to study for a re-take, I don't just want to re-hash everything I already did :/

lulzalicious

New

Post by lulzalicious » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Im definitely in. My focus is also going to be on drilling on games and practicing/re-doing loads of RC sections. Also going to check out Velocity's LR stuff.

One idea I had was to take old games, look through the scenario and change some variables/constraints then diagram/solve to see how it changes the game. Altering games and seeing how it changes them then making up my own questions could maybe help understand games better. But I still have alot of drilling to do before I get to that point.
Also, I havent checked it out yet but the LSATArcade on Manhattans site might be useful if youve run through all your PT's already...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:36 pm

hamsamitchguy03 wrote:I am interested.

I only did a few of the PTs from 7-35 so I have those to work through.

Emkay what are your ideas?
My plan, for now, is as follows: Go through the Manhattan guides. Do PTs 35 - 63, but allow myself less time for each section. Going to start at 33 minutes, then after 2 weeks, go down to 32, then 31, then 30.

This, I think is important, because what happened to me this time was pure panic. Generally finish LG with 6 or 7 minutes to spare, so when I got to the 4th game with only 3 or so minutes left this time, instead of calmly getting all of the questions I could, I froze and guessed wildly. I want to practice constantly under pressure, so test day will be a breeze.

Also going to pick up a biology and geology textbook to read through, because I am terrible at the science assage because it's always just so unfamiliar.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

lulzalicious wrote:Im definitely in. My focus is also going to be on drilling on games and practicing/re-doing loads of RC sections. Also going to check out Velocity's LR stuff.

One idea I had was to take old games, look through the scenario and change some variables/constraints then diagram/solve to see how it changes the game. Altering games and seeing how it changes them then making up my own questions could maybe help understand games better. But I still have alot of drilling to do before I get to that point.
Also, I havent checked it out yet but the LSATArcade on Manhattans site might be useful if youve run through all your PT's already...
This seems like a good idea for LG. I like it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm

luxxe wrote:

I'm at 70 percent sure I will be retaking.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:51 pm

I might be in here, too. I am going to wait until I get my score back to pick up full blown studying again, but I will redo a PT on the weekend to not get rusty until then.

Hope its not true, but it very well could be.

darkatillam2

Bronze

Post by darkatillam2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

emkay625 wrote:
luxxe wrote:

I'm at 70 percent sure I will be retaking.

Quick question! I will also probably be retaking as well. But are you sending out your apps before you take December? I am torn between sending out my apps early + adding a Dec score vs. sending apps out late with Dec. score.

What are you planning on doing?

chuffedtobits

New

Post by chuffedtobits » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Don't most schools not even bother considering the application until it is complete?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:29 pm

chuffedtobits wrote:Don't most schools not even bother considering the application until it is complete?
that's what I've heard as well

wolfpack-avvocato

Silver

Post by wolfpack-avvocato » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Ya for sure, I'm not in 100% until I actually get my score back but I am certainly preparing myself for a shock that results in a retake. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread for sure. First things first though, If I get a bad score, the Manhattan LR and LG guide will be overnighted to my house immediately. No hate on PS, just too time consuming under test duress, and just isn't working for me.

butifuldisastr

New

Post by butifuldisastr » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey everyone - I'm in as well. I'm a huge lurker on TLS, but don't usually end up posting much, so hi :) I'm in the same boat as some of you - studied pretty much all the PT material I could get my hands on: all preptests from 30-63, then most sections from test 7-29. Only thing I really have left is LR from 7-15, and tests 1-6 which are difficult to get a hold of, and I'm not sure how useful they would really be anyway. I've studied LR and LG PS bibles, took a testmasters course, and have previously taken June 2010 LSAT (score cancelled) and October 2011. I was PTing at 169-172 regularly, and I felt confident in my abilities. However, when it came around to teh actual test on saturday, my mind was clouded and I felt unsure of myself during the sections, felt rushed during the sections and had to blind guess on 4 LR and 5 RC questions, which is a ton. I really don't want to have a second cancelled score, so I'm just going to wait it out and see how I did, probably be shocked at how horrible it is, and retake in December. I'm planning on starting my study journey around October 15, so I have about 2 weeks to work on apps and personal statement/diversity statement. That'll give me a month and half to study, who knows what though...I'm guessing Manhattan LR and RC, because I could always improve on those sections - Im pretty solid on LG, which is usually -0/-1.

Any advice on dealing with test day anxiety? the first time I took the LSAT in June 2010 i totaly freaked out and pretty much just stared at teh first questions for 10 mins. This second time around I didn't totally freak out, but I just wasn't sure of my answers like I usually am during PTs. I don't know how to fix this problem at all! So frustrating because I know I am capable of getting 170+, as I have been studying on and off for a year. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some good advice and support :)

hailpms

New

Post by hailpms » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Count me in. I'm also 70% sure i'm going to be retaking it. Pretty pissed off about what happened saturday. had 3 lrs(25/26/26). had to g2 the bathroom as soon as section 1 began, JUST finished and rushed through the LG(section2) with a minute left, finished it(MOST likely poorly) and bolted for the restroom. Only to come back to people having begun section 3(my 2nd LR of 3) =/. Guessed on many towards the end of that section due to the loss of a few minutes. Tried not to let this get to me while having section 4 and 5 to tackle. I'm really hoping section 3 was my experimental, but it seems most ppl are saying section 4 was oddly it. Unless I miraculously got the questions I guessed on right or that my 2nd LR section was the experimental, I am most likely going to b retaking the test. LG is always my strongest section, usually 0-2 wrong. I usually guess on 2-4 LRs per section so a stronger foundation would be benefitial there. and I am usually unable to finish or get to the last passage of RC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”