Please recommend some books to read

szk0034

Please recommend some books to read

Postby szk0034 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:01 pm

What books do you guys read in spare time for lsat?
please recommend me some books which has similar passage types with RC or LR.

Sometimes I felt black out during the test, Maybe in LR more than RC.
I wanna break this.
Thank you guys.

kaiser

Re: Please recommend some books to read

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:10 pm

RC and LR passages are constructed in a very specific way and by the same folks at LSAC. There is nothing quite parallel to them since it never hasthe "feel" of an LSAT passage. I found no help in reading other materials in order to simulate. The only helpful thing is to read, dissect, and understand real LSAT passages and pick up on actual trends.

YaSvoboden

Postby YaSvoboden » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Read the general theory of employment interest and money by john Maynard Keynes.

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:Read the general theory of employment interest and money by john Maynard Keynes.

And identify all of the fallacies. Great practice for LR.

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:23 pm

YaSvoboden wrote:Read the general theory of employment interest and money by john Maynard Keynes.

Lol +1

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:25 pm

kaiser wrote:RC and LR passages are constructed in a very specific way and by the same folks at LSAC. There is nothing quite parallel to them since it never hasthe "feel" of an LSAT passage. I found no help in reading other materials in order to simulate. The only helpful thing is to read, dissect, and understand real LSAT passages and pick up on actual trends.

Actually I think they use articles from the Economist quite often. They certainly did in June and I had fun going back to the original and remembering the questions.

Seneca

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:27 pm

I read the Economist regularly and I agree that I definitely benefitted from that this past June, but I think if you're trying to specifically target the RC sections, accustom yourself to precisely that format and style, with questions following.

Take apart a bunch of tests - mostly early, but one or two more recent ones that include a the Passage 1/Passage 2 comparative types - and drill them. It sounds like you mostly need to learn how to push through the "black out" wall, and doing passage after passage on a regular basis will do that. It may not be particularly enjoyable, but I can promise it will be much more effective than reading outside material.

Rheastoria

Postby Rheastoria » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:38 pm

I read American Scientist (different from Scientific American) and mags on Finance. I think magazines work better than books, they're more similar to what you'll see in RC sections. Also watch Nat Geo documentaries (or any short documentaries) - I watched one on dreams the night before yesterday's LSAT and had a lovely little LR question on exactly what I had just watched the day before. As long as you get comfortable with the process, you'll be fine!

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:39 pm

vulpixie wrote:

And identify all of the fallacies. Great practice for LR.

It won't be difficult.

SarahKerrigan

Postby SarahKerrigan » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm

I was listening to a law school podcast and some guy said that this book is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-That-Lottery ... 184708043X

szk0034

Postby szk0034 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Thank you so much guys.

By the way,
I was worried that I felt most of that black out at the 'must be true' type.

Do you guys think normal reading is better strategy than try to think some conditioning or else for must be true type?

camwon

Postby camwon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:09 pm

If youre still looking for a book, Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Not a tough read but a good intro to logic and philosophy, plus it made me cry.
But mags are best for practice, imo. My favorite is the new yorker. Also +1 to the economost

crede

Postby crede » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:22 pm

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:46 pm

Just pick up The Economist and Scientific American every month/week. They are dense, technical articles that only assume you're a smart person, not a PhD in Econ or Physics.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”