Should I Retake?

BigJohnso

Should I Retake?

Postby BigJohnso » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:04 pm

I am new to this site, but this seems like a good place to go for advice. I have just taken the LSAT and it felt like all of the recent PTs that I took (166-168). I am guessing I got somewhere in this range. With this in mind, it is likely that Ill be a splitter. My GPA is 3.96 and I am a physics major (this might count as a soft?) looking to get into IP law. I feel that if I study very hard for the next two months (after studying for the previous two) I have the potential to get in the 170+ range, but I am not sure because I have always underperformed on standardized testing. I would like to go to Berkeley, do you think with my GPA and say a 166 would be good enough to get in there?

thelawschoolproject

Re: Should I Retake?

Postby thelawschoolproject » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:34 am

My first piece of advice would be to not assume anything or finalize any decisions until you get your LSAT score back.

If it comes back and is lower than you expect, and you realistically think you can get a higher score, then retaking might be the best idea.

As for the potential for you to get into Berkeley, I think you're going to need something more than a high GPA and a 166. If you have stellar softs, that would give you an edge. If you're a non-trad or URM, that might give you a boost as well. Law School Predictor has you at a "strong consider" with a 166/3.96, but looking at last year's LSN graphs, 166 didn't look too promising.

Browsing both sites might help you out:
[url]
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com[/url]
[url]
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com[/url]

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:39 am

Congrats on the great ug background.

For the moment, I would go ahead and sign up for the next LSAT- you can always cancel if you get the score you want.

Berkeley is supposedly holistic, and with a 3.9+ in a strong major and a 166 you should have a shot- but a few more points would do you a lot of good.

Thing is, if you could break 170 or so you may have a shot at T6, or at the very least a good scholly to the lower T14. There's no reason to deny yourself anything these days.

BigJohnso

Postby BigJohnso » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks for the posts. I will most likely retake, my softs are very average, nothing that will get me in above people with higher numbers. My plan is to get my scores from October 1st and go from there, might have surprised myself and did better/worse than expected.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 am

If you can honestly say you don't think you hit the high end of your capability, retake. Apply now, but retake.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”