LSAT observation

gm316

LSAT observation

Postby gm316 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:38 am

Hey guys

I've read through a lot of your posts as well as others and the conclusion I can reach - which you may find a little shocking(!) - is that certain sections of the test were completely different between tests, not just the experimental section.

I only had one RC and none of what anyone else has mentioned rings any bells with me at all!!! I also had one LG and the same thing - I haven't seen anyone mention the topics that my games covered.

In a way, I suppose it's not surprising given the extent that experimental questions are tested but I suppose it raises issues of fairness. But this issue is already out there with different people haven't different sections, in different orders etc.

In my opinion, they should be up-front about the experimental section but penalise if people don't bother to do it. You can imagine a question which goes: the LSAT is considered to be a fair standardised test which accurately predicts future ability across students... which one of these undermines the author's claim? answer - that different people take different tests in a different order, which inevitably plays to people's strengths/weaknesses!!

Rant over, glad it's done.

jamesireland

Re: LSAT observation

Postby jamesireland » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:38 am

Each administration of the test features a completely different test, and scores are compared across administrations. So even if tests varied intraadminstration how would that be more unfair than variation interadministration?

benito

Postby benito » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:25 am

gm316 wrote:Hey guys

I've read through a lot of your posts as well as others and the conclusion I can reach - which you may find a little shocking(!) - is that certain sections of the test were completely different between tests, not just the experimental section.

I only had one RC and none of what anyone else has mentioned rings any bells with me at all!!! I also had one LG and the same thing - I haven't seen anyone mention the topics that my games covered.

In a way, I suppose it's not surprising given the extent that experimental questions are tested but I suppose it raises issues of fairness. But this issue is already out there with different people haven't different sections, in different orders etc.

In my opinion, they should be up-front about the experimental section but penalise if people don't bother to do it. You can imagine a question which goes: the LSAT is considered to be a fair standardised test which accurately predicts future ability across students... which one of these undermines the author's claim? answer - that different people take different tests in a different order, which inevitably plays to people's strengths/weaknesses!!

Rant over, glad it's done.

No man its not shocking its just abjectly false. I should just stop because I think I've repeated this same post on many threads but geez you people are crazy. I don't know if its the increased volume of people sitting for the October test that causes it or what but I've read more wildly inaccurate observations on this forum for this LSAT than I have for the two previous times I took the test combined. EVERYONE had the same four scored sections, that is a 100% certainty they may not have been in the same order but they were exactly the same. Its a standardized test people they have to give everyone the same scored sections. Look at the SIXTY THREE previously released PT's, do you see a version A and a version B or C? NO..... But standardized doesn't mean identical so they CAN change the order the sections come in and where the experimental is placed. And if they were "up front" about which sections are experimental it would destroy the entire purpose of having the section. Even if you were required to do it you wouldn't treat it the same way as the scored sections and the utility of using it to test future questions would be completely gone. The lack of simple logic in some of these rants is pretty ironic given the nature of the test we're discussing.

mushybrain

Postby mushybrain » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm

You're just remembering incorrectly. Or not remembering at all. You had the same scored sections that everyone else had. I promise.

gm316

Postby gm316 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:43 am

hi.

i didn't have the same test because i took it abroad - i just assumed that it would be the same test given that it started at the same time but know now that tests taken abroad are non-disclosed and so are different to mainland US.

so i guess not EVERYONE had the same test after all and "the lack of simple logic" isn't confined to my post :wink:

allysca

Postby allysca » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:55 pm

So then your score would be counted in which percentile....the "abroad" percentile?

oops, my bad, totes didn't know about the following but makes sense...(reposted from diff thread)

dietcoke0 wrote:
A lot of outside US/Canada do non-disclosure test, meaning different version, and you won't know what you got right or wrong.

+1

It's likely because LSAC is aware of time-zone differences and doesn't want some test-takers giving others half-way around the world a heads-up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”