The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:11 am

Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:23 am

emkay625 wrote:Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.


What kind of guesses? Where they all blind guesses? Game four did have 7 questions, but what where your other sections like?

This is my situation:
Canceled (Dec 2010), 3.9 GPA
PT range 165-170, last 7 PTs 169/170
I feel like I could have gotten anywhere from 25 wrong to 15 wrong on this test. Breakdown is likely look like this: -4 on LR1, -5 on LG, -7 LR2, -2 RC
I suffered from extreme test anxiety both times I took this test and I don't think I can do it a third time, although I really feel I under preformed on games and the 2nd LR. And although I do tend to do better then what I predict on PTs, I really want to go to at least Fordham, and I had a dream of going to NYU but that's shot in the foot at this point...

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:28 am

Not blind guesses.....but almost blind guesses.

And with that GPA not all is lost! Keep the faith!

User avatar
maru
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby maru » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:33 am

happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.


What kind of guesses? Where they all blind guesses? Game four did have 7 questions, but what where your other sections like?

This is my situation:
Canceled (Dec 2010), 3.9 GPA
PT range 165-170, last 7 PTs 169/170
I feel like I could have gotten anywhere from 25 wrong to 15 wrong on this test. Breakdown is likely look like this: -4 on LR1, -5 on LG, -7 LR2, -2 RC
I suffered from extreme test anxiety both times I took this test and I don't think I can do it a third time, although I really feel I under preformed on games and the 2nd LR. And although I do tend to do better then what I predict on PTs, I really want to go to at least Fordham, and I had a dream of going to NYU but that's shot in the foot at this point...

Bookshelves was 7 questions? Do you remember how many the others were? For some reason, I thought #1 was 6, #2 was 6, and #3 was 5... But if #4 was 7, then that adds up to 24 questions...

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby Icculus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:35 am

emkay625 wrote:Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.


The questions is whether you think you at least hit 169. I think a cancel would look better than a significant score drop, but if you think you're going to be close then I'd take the risk. You still have one more chance. How many questions are we talking about? 5-6?

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am

emkay625 wrote:Not blind guesses.....but almost blind guesses.

And with that GPA not all is lost! Keep the faith!


I think you're safe with assuming that you can get 10 wrong to still get a 170 on this test. lets say you got -5 on LG (-4 on lsat one and -1 for errors on the other ones) do you think you could have pulled off a -5 on the rest of the test put together? If so, I'd say keep it.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 am

maru wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.


What kind of guesses? Where they all blind guesses? Game four did have 7 questions, but what where your other sections like?

This is my situation:
Canceled (Dec 2010), 3.9 GPA
PT range 165-170, last 7 PTs 169/170
I feel like I could have gotten anywhere from 25 wrong to 15 wrong on this test. Breakdown is likely look like this: -4 on LR1, -5 on LG, -7 LR2, -2 RC
I suffered from extreme test anxiety both times I took this test and I don't think I can do it a third time, although I really feel I under preformed on games and the 2nd LR. And although I do tend to do better then what I predict on PTs, I really want to go to at least Fordham, and I had a dream of going to NYU but that's shot in the foot at this point...

Bookshelves was 7 questions? Do you remember how many the others were? For some reason, I thought #1 was 6, #2 was 6, and #3 was 5... But if #4 was 7, then that adds up to 24 questions...



So re-do of the numbers: If you give yourself -3 (2 educated guesses might have been right) and -1 for other errors on LG, and -6 for the other sections combined you should have at least a 170, maybe even a 171 depending on the curve. BUT a 169 is a really good score and if you get lower then that it might look like the 169 was a fluke...
Last edited by happyshapy on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:49 am

Icculus wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.


The questions is whether you think you at least hit 169. I think a cancel would look better than a significant score drop, but if you think you're going to be close then I'd take the risk. You still have one more chance. How many questions are we talking about? 5-6?


Had to guess on 5 questions, aka all of game 4.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:50 am

happyshapy wrote:
maru wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Hi friends.

There are lots of us debating whether or not to cancel. I thought we could use a common thread.

State your situation, what happened today, and what you're currently leaning towards.


Situation: Retaker and Splitter, currently 169/3.22
What Happened: LG 3 ate my lunch and so I had to guess on all of game 4
Leaning Towards: No clue. My head says cancel but my heart wants to know that score REALLY bad.


What kind of guesses? Where they all blind guesses? Game four did have 7 questions, but what where your other sections like?

This is my situation:
Canceled (Dec 2010), 3.9 GPA
PT range 165-170, last 7 PTs 169/170
I feel like I could have gotten anywhere from 25 wrong to 15 wrong on this test. Breakdown is likely look like this: -4 on LR1, -5 on LG, -7 LR2, -2 RC
I suffered from extreme test anxiety both times I took this test and I don't think I can do it a third time, although I really feel I under preformed on games and the 2nd LR. And although I do tend to do better then what I predict on PTs, I really want to go to at least Fordham, and I had a dream of going to NYU but that's shot in the foot at this point...

Bookshelves was 7 questions? Do you remember how many the others were? For some reason, I thought #1 was 6, #2 was 6, and #3 was 5... But if #4 was 7, then that adds up to 24 questions...


hmm...wait a minute....not sure now that I think about it. I'm pretty sure now that 1 was 6, 2 was 6, 3 was 6, 4 was 5....

So re-do of the numbers: If you give yourself -3 (2 educated guesses might have been right) and -1 for other errors on LG, and -6 for the other sections combined you should have at least a 170, maybe even a 171 depending on the curve. BUT a 169 is a really good score and if you get lower then that it might look like the 169 was a fluke...



This is my exact dilemma.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:52 am

happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Not blind guesses.....but almost blind guesses.

And with that GPA not all is lost! Keep the faith!


I think you're safe with assuming that you can get 10 wrong to still get a 170 on this test. lets say you got -5 on LG (-4 on lsat one and -1 for errors on the other ones) do you think you could have pulled off a -5 on the rest of the test put together? If so, I'd say keep it.


It is possible, if I get lucky.

The question is, how lucky do I feel?


Also, I breezed through both LR sections and RC. But I'm not sure if that's cause they were easy or because I was numb from LG.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:58 am

emkay625 wrote:

This is my exact dilemma.


Hmmm well if you breezed through them you probably did do at least better than a -6 on them, that gives you 2 errors wrong on each....well just based on what I thought of the test (RC was very easy, LR1 was average, LR2 was pretty difficult) you probably will get a harder test in december if you take it again then...

What schools do you want to go to?

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:06 am

I think the only situation you have to look out for is if the schools you really want to go to have LSAT medians around a 169, because you have a good chance at them with your score and if you drop more than 3 points you probably don't...but if a 169 is bellow the median for these schools you might want to take the risk.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:07 am

happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

This is my exact dilemma.


Hmmm well if you breezed through them you probably did do at least better than a -6 on them, that gives you 2 errors wrong on each....well just based on what I thought of the test (RC was very easy, LR1 was average, LR2 was pretty difficult) you probably will get a harder test in december if you take it again then...

What schools do you want to go to?


Dream: Northwestern
Reality: WUSTL or GWU or SMU or U. Houston

crede
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby crede » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:12 am

I'm in a (somewhat) unique situation here. I took the LSAT today for the first time. Was PT-ing in the mid to high 160s and expecting 165, at BEST, on today's test. I'm a junior and was planning on applying this cycle only if I scored upper 160s (I have enough credits to graduate early). But since that seems unlikely, is there any reason to cancel? Or would you recommend I wait to see how it plays out, since I have plenty more opportunities to retake anyway?

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am

emkay625 wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

This is my exact dilemma.


Hmmm well if you breezed through them you probably did do at least better than a -6 on them, that gives you 2 errors wrong on each....well just based on what I thought of the test (RC was very easy, LR1 was average, LR2 was pretty difficult) you probably will get a harder test in december if you take it again then...

What schools do you want to go to?


Dream: Northwestern
Reality: WUSTL or GWU or SMU or U. Houston


Hmmm that's tricky, I think you're out at Northwestern without at least a 174, and that's pretty tough if you guessed on 5.... but for the others you're chances seem 50/50 with a 169. What are your preptests like?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 am

crede wrote:I'm in a (somewhat) unique situation here. I took the LSAT today for the first time. Was PT-ing in the mid to high 160s and expecting 165, at BEST, on today's test. I'm a junior and was planning on applying this cycle only if I scored upper 160s (I have enough credits to graduate early). But since that seems unlikely, is there any reason to cancel? Or would you recommend I wait to see how it plays out, since I have plenty more opportunities to retake anyway?


In your situation, I would say don't cancel. 165 doesn't seem that out of the ordinary given your PT scores.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:18 am

happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:

This is my exact dilemma.


Hmmm well if you breezed through them you probably did do at least better than a -6 on them, that gives you 2 errors wrong on each....well just based on what I thought of the test (RC was very easy, LR1 was average, LR2 was pretty difficult) you probably will get a harder test in december if you take it again then...

What schools do you want to go to?


Dream: Northwestern
Reality: WUSTL or GWU or SMU or U. Houston


Hmmm that's tricky, I think you're out at Northwestern without at least a 174, and that's pretty tough if you guessed on 5.... but for the others you're chances seem 50/50 with a 169. What are your preptests like?



My PT average was 175.28.

crede
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby crede » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:21 am

Thanks. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it to apply this cycle with a ~165, or wait until next year after having an entire summer to practice my way into the 170s.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:23 am

crede wrote:Thanks. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it to apply this cycle with a ~165, or wait until next year after having an entire summer to practice my way into the 170s.


Maybe apply to your top 2 or 3 choices and see what happens?

If none of your dream schools bite, then you can retake and reapply next cycle.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:26 am

happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
emkay625 wrote:



Hmmm well if you breezed through them you probably did do at least better than a -6 on them, that gives you 2 errors wrong on each....well just based on what I thought of the test (RC was very easy, LR1 was average, LR2 was pretty difficult) you probably will get a harder test in december if you take it again then...

What schools do you want to go to?


Dream: Northwestern
Reality: WUSTL or GWU or SMU or U. Houston


Hmmm that's tricky, I think you're out at Northwestern without at least a 174, and that's pretty tough if you guessed on 5.... but for the others you're chances seem 50/50 with a 169. What are your preptests like?



My PT average was 175.28.


Honestly if your dream is Northwestern and with a PT average of 175, you might consider canceling and re-taking in June. Study until the test is literally second nature and bust out a 175+ You're on the fence though since you can get into your other schools with a 169, and it doesn't really change that much with a 168-167... I think NW is out though so if you want to go for it then I would cancel and re-take. If you're okay with the other schools I would take the risk. But you really should sleep on it.

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby Icculus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:26 am

First off, I think you would need a 172 maybe 173 for NU, a 174 would be a lock. Second, I left my last LSAT thinking I bombed it and only didn't cancel because it was my third time, ended up higher than my PT range. The best advice I can give you would be to wait a few days and think about it. If you went -5 on games and -5 on the rest you're still at around a 169 maybe a 170, so I would take the next couple of days and think it through. I know this is shitty "do what you think is right" advice. Also, you figure you have one more shot, so if it is a little lower than 169 and then you kill the next test then this one looks like the anomaly. But that is a big if.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 am

crede wrote:Thanks. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it to apply this cycle with a ~165, or wait until next year after having an entire summer to practice my way into the 170s.


well see what you get, if you're not happy with your score then take the whole summer/year to prepare, and if you are happy with it than apply. Retaking a first try is NOT a big deal at all. You might be surprised with your score

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby happyshapy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 am

Icculus wrote:First off, I think you would need a 172 maybe 173 for NU, a 174 would be a lock. Second, I left my last LSAT thinking I bombed it and only didn't cancel because it was my third time, ended up higher than my PT range. The best advice I can give you would be to wait a few days and think about it. If you went -5 on games and -5 on the rest you're still at around a 169 maybe a 170, so I would take the next couple of days and think it through. I know this is shitty "do what you think is right" advice. Also, you figure you have one more shot, so if it is a little lower than 169 and then you kill the next test then this one looks like the anomaly. But that is a big if.


Hmm I'm not sure. 3.22 is pretty low for NU without an 175+ LSAT.

HellOnHeels
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:28 am

.
Last edited by HellOnHeels on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: The Official To Cancel/Not To Cancel Misery Pool

Postby Ginj » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:09 am

happyshapy wrote:
Icculus wrote:First off, I think you would need a 172 maybe 173 for NU, a 174 would be a lock. Second, I left my last LSAT thinking I bombed it and only didn't cancel because it was my third time, ended up higher than my PT range. The best advice I can give you would be to wait a few days and think about it. If you went -5 on games and -5 on the rest you're still at around a 169 maybe a 170, so I would take the next couple of days and think it through. I know this is shitty "do what you think is right" advice. Also, you figure you have one more shot, so if it is a little lower than 169 and then you kill the next test then this one looks like the anomaly. But that is a big if.


Hmm I'm not sure. 3.22 is pretty low for NU without an 175+ LSAT.


NU is notoriously splitter friendly. She would probably be golden at a 171, based on last year.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cctv, cherrygalore, proteinshake, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests