If I retake in December...

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Will I be at a disadvantage in the application process? I've heard the earlier you apply, the better.

Also, in studying for the October LSAT, I used most of my practice tests. I have some untaken tests from the 20-30 range, but I wonder whether the test has changed enough to make those tests outdated, and tf somewhat useless. Would retaking tests I've already taken for the second, third, and sometimes even fourth time provide any benefit?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby Curious1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:32 pm

TO answer your first question: a high score is always better than applying early. How much worse do you think you did compared to practice tests, if at all? If you think it's more than 3-4 points, might be worth it to cancel and retake.

As for the outdated tests, it's useful to study what you did wrong, so pull out those questions and think about how you got the wrong answer and why the right answer is right.

You have 6 days to think about it. Talk to other people, see what they thought. Maybe you didn't do quite as badly as you thought.

Either way, good luck.

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Curious1 wrote:You have 6 days to think about it. Talk to other people, see what they thought. Maybe you didn't do quite as badly as you thought.



Thanks, and it's actually not because I think I did badly that I'm considering a retake. In fact, I feel as if I will score around my average PT, which was a 168.

I'm considering a retake because I only studied seriously for one month, and even then my study schedule was inadequate and poorly structured. I'm considering a retake because I think with an adequate study schedule and dedication, I can score easily in the 170+ range.

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:13 pm

bump for today

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 pm

last bump

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Go with your gut.


I recognize that it's kind of shitty advice. But it's what I'm doing.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SA1928 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm waiting until December even though applying late is obviously a disadvantage compared to applying early, but applying early with your LSAT score below the 25% is also a disadvantage. You have a great GPA though so if you did hit like a 168 or 169 on the Oct test, I would think you would still have a shot at good schools...what are your target schools?

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:52 pm

SA1928 wrote:what are your target schools?



UVa, W&L, GTown, Duke, UNC, W&M, GMason, Richmond. I'd choose W&L with a substantial scholarship over UVa sticker.

User avatar
SA1928
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SA1928 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Well I just took a look at LSN and there have already been people accepted with a 3.89 and 3.91 with a 165 LSAT at UVA, both of who applied ED. I think if you feel that you probably did score a 168 (or say + or - 1 point) you should be able to get into UVA. If you prefer a scholly at W&L, it seems that even there, with your GPA and lsat score of 168ish, you should be able to get that as well. Check out this person's profile from last year: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/allthatjazz/jd

I would play around LSN for a little bit to check out how others did last year with similar numbers.

Seneca
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby Seneca » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:53 pm

There aren't a lot of data points for this year's cycle at UVa yet, but last year's show a handful of regular decision applicants accepted with LSAT scores between 167-169 and a GPA above the 3.86 median mark. With your GPA, you could be in good shape to get in even with an LSAT below the 170-median, but it's likely you'd be paying sticker; 170+ would make $$ at UVa substantially more likely - even applying after the Dec scores are released. One person (non-URM) last year got 75k to UVa with a 168/3.85. At another poster mentioned, you also have a good shot at good money at W&L. With that GPA and your target schools, I'd keep this score if you think you got anything in the 167-170 range, whether or not you decide to retake.

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks.

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:07 am

My two cents... If you think you have a half decent score, consider keeping it (not cancelling - which I think it's too late for anyway?), and talking with the schools you are really interested in. Let them know your current numbers and that you are considering a re-take, and ask if you should apply now and update them with a second LSAT in December, or if they think it would best for you to wait until you get the second score to submit your app.

justiceleague
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby justiceleague » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

What a novel thought? Why have I never before seen somebody say "just call admissions and ask if you should retake." Has anyone actually done this??

User avatar
cogitoergosum
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby cogitoergosum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 am

justiceleague wrote:What a novel thought? Why have I never before seen somebody say "just call admissions and ask if you should retake." Has anyone actually done this??

Well, I should clarify... I wouldn't recommend asking them if you should retake, as I'm pretty sure they'll give you a standard answer about how they consider the applicant's whole file in the admissions process, and LSAT score is an important factor, etc.

BUT, I think something along the lines of, "hey, my current numbers are XX, and I am retaking in December, should I apply now or wait until I get the new numbers" might be useful.

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:36 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:My two cents... If you think you have a half decent score, consider keeping it (not cancelling - which I think it's too late for anyway?), and talking with the schools you are really interested in. Let them know your current numbers and that you are considering a re-take, and ask if you should apply now and update them with a second LSAT in December, or if they think it would best for you to wait until you get the second score to submit your app.


awesome

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Just searching for any other input.

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby thelawyler » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:43 pm

Have you applied already? How confident are you in scoring higher with more studying?

If you do get your 168, with such a high GPA, you might get into a lot of schools. But I feel that GPA is wasted if you feel you could have scored 170+ as you could score more money.

One option is to submit right now if your score is 168, then retake in Feb when you have most of the responses from schools. Then try to negotiate WLs or scholarship money if you do indeed score 170+. If they don't bite and you scored a 172 or so, then just reapply and win. But if you score lower, you have already secured your offers and scholarships and thus they won't like take them away or something. No risk but infinite upside with your GPA.

I had a 169 from Dec, got a 173 in June, and Vandy bumped my scholarship up to around 80k from basically nothing. So it does happen. Granted, I am still reapplying this cycle.

And yes, you will be at a disadvantage if you apply in Dec than if you applied in Sept/Oct.

Before Halloween = early
Before Thanksgiving = normal
Before Christmas = late

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:50 am

thelawyler wrote:Have you applied already? How confident are you in scoring higher with more studying?


I haven't applied yet, and I'm confident I can score higher with more studying.



thelawyler wrote:One option is to submit right now if your score is 168, then retake in Feb when you have most of the responses from schools. Then try to negotiate WLs or scholarship money if you do indeed score 170+. If they don't bite and you scored a 172 or so, then just reapply and win.


Can I apply twice?

User avatar
ColumbiaChamp
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:17 am

thelawyler wrote:One option is to submit right now if your score is 168, then retake in Feb when you have most of the responses from schools. Then try to negotiate WLs or scholarship money if you do indeed score 170+. If they don't bite and you scored a 172 or so, then just reapply and win.


SoPro wrote:Can I apply twice?


in the next cycle..

User avatar
SoPro
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby SoPro » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 am

I meant within the same cycle.

NYCLSATTutor
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: If I retake in December...

Postby NYCLSATTutor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:39 am

You can only apply once in the same cycle. However you can apply and if you are waitlisted, you will get the advantage of an early application, and can ask them to look at new score once you receive it from LSAC.

I would say apply early if you think you are close to their medians. Likely the worst it will do is get you waitlisted. Also, I very much doubt schools will be eager to send out rejections early in the game this year since nobody has any idea what the applicant pool is going to look like in the end.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lahtso Nuggin, Majestic-12 [Bot], PresidentIJohnson, SweetTort and 7 guests