Oct 2011 games section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSAT Blog

Silver

Re: Oct 2011 games section

Post by LSAT Blog » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am

cvntstscrty wrote:LSAC prohibits discussion, including the so-called “postmortem” discussion of test questions immediately after a particular test administration, because it has the potential to affect the fairness of the LSAT and the law school admission process. This thread has been logged and appropriate action may be taken.

Caveon Test Security is a test security vendor for LSAC.
Caveon's for real:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/educa ... cheat.html
For the Law School Admission Council, which administers the LSAT four times a year to a total of more than 140,000 people, Caveon patrols the Internet looking for leaked questions on sites it calls “brain dumps,” where students who have just taken an exam discuss it openly.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:21 am

Yea I was Kind of shocked by ppl posting like complete questions on here lol. I wouldn't post anything other than "yea lg was hard" or "rc was easy" out of fear lol

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:34 am

Seriously, fuck dyslexia!! I NEVER have problems anymore in my life with it, but I blew through 1 and 2 in under ten minutes and then got to 3, doing fine and then I second-guessed my diagram and wrote out another one, WORST DECISION EVER. Got super confused even though I made several big deductions, instead of just breathing and moving on calmly I got panicked and bandoned all of my strategy- GAH!! That threw me off for game 4, kept swapping letters because I was amped up. Really found this game section easy, I had a -0 in me if I didn't let nerves get to me :(. Gonna be a loooong 3 weeks.

dallasphi

New

Post by dallasphi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:06 am

From the article that was posted:

“There’s all kinds of stuff on the blogs after the test trying to guess which stuff will show up in the future; there’s a whole cottage industry,” said Wendy Margolis, a spokeswoman for the council.

Apparently they are primarily concerned with people discussing the specific content of the experimental sections. As for the "postmortem" discussion I don't see how the guy who posted his setup could possibly be sacrificing the integrity of the test, that question is just going to be sold to the next round of test takers when they are studying anyways. But with the experimental section I could see how publishing exactly what they are playing around with and looking at for the future when its fresh in the minds of the posters could disturb them as they are still viable in some form. Apparently they must really value those sections heard a lot of people were shocked to find an experimental after the break today.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:10 am

It is pretty surprising to me how similar the experimentals are to the ones used on the actual test. I will not say which ones, but I took the test originally a while ago and during some of the later PTs found the same section that was my experiemental, nearly identical with a few changes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 am

dallasphi wrote:From the article that was posted:

“There’s all kinds of stuff on the blogs after the test trying to guess which stuff will show up in the future; there’s a whole cottage industry,” said Wendy Margolis, a spokeswoman for the council.

Apparently they are primarily concerned with people discussing the specific content of the experimental sections. As for the "postmortem" discussion I don't see how the guy who posted his setup could possibly be sacrificing the integrity of the test, that question is just going to be sold to the next round of test takers when they are studying anyways. But with the experimental section I could see how publishing exactly what they are playing around with and looking at for the future when its fresh in the minds of the posters could disturb them as they are still viable in some form. Apparently they must really value those sections heard a lot of people were shocked to find an experimental after the break today.
There is more to it than that. Many people are administered the same test form in different time zones as well as on different days in several countries.
See: http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/test-dates-deadlines.asp and look at the October 2011 administration dates for the various international regions.

While internationally administered tests are non-disclosed, sometimes the same test form as US/Canada test takers is administered, sometimes and/or in some locations it is not. If somebody administered the same test many hours later or even a day or two later has read student assessments of the test, it gives them an unfair advantage that can help boost their score several or more points.

It actually hurts your admission chances when you discuss even basic details of the test (which game was the hardest, which LG section is scored, etc.) online right after it is administered since other people you are competing with for admission can benefit from it by achieving a higher score than they would have without the information.
emkay625 wrote:It is pretty surprising to me how similar the experimentals are to the ones used on the actual test. I will not say which ones, but I took the test originally a while ago and during some of the later PTs found the same section that was my experiemental, nearly identical with a few changes.
That's not surprising at all. Every scored section was once administered in exact or almost exact form as an experimental section. It's what they call a pre-operational experimental section, pre-tested to see how it performs as a full section. Other experimental sections are just a bunch of problems thrown together and are designed to get initial difficulty/performance ratings about each question individually, independent from the difficulty of the section as a whole. Every question that appears in a scored section has previously appeared in an experimental section at least twice.

feline

New

Post by feline » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:47 am

are the lsat questions different country by country??
or region by region perhaps?
I took the test today in Korea and I bombed the games both the scored one and the experimental..
and I didn't have any games with books or bikes....
I had games with summer/ fall forum or whatever on ice and oceans -_-

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:12 am

A lot of outside US/Canada do non-disclosure test, meaning different version, and you won't know what you got right or wrong.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 am

The breakdown of my LSAT, southeastern US, with my projections:

LR1: easy, -0/-1
LG: ambassadors, books, probably -3/-4 total because I took way too long on the 3rd game (the one with Yuki and all the global CANNOT BE TRUE questions)
LR2: tough, had to guess on 2 questions, hopefully this was the experimental section
LR3: easy, -0/-1
RC: pretty standard, -3 or less and I'll be happy, I had Mexican-American proverbs and Dostoevsky

Anyone else have a similar section arrangement?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mitterrand

New

Post by Mitterrand » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 am

hula_gurl wrote:I agree...I think there were to LG experimental sections. I had the books on the shelf, and I THINK ambassadors and bikes as well on the real section - it's all so fuzzy now. I don't remember anything at all about wine labels. The harder section by far was the experimental with the round table of 8 with moderator, translator, and junior/senior ZYW.

I specifically came here to put my mind at ease that the round table section (3 LG) was NOT the real section. I would've been tweaking on it until I got my score back! Seriously...I think it would've made a difference of about 4-6 points on my final score.

I was so scared because the first LG seemed way too easy...I thought for sure it was experimental!
Aww man im in the exact opposite boat. I was really unsure of the first games section, i found myself doing alot of guess/check and i wasnt completely sure about some of the answers i got. Bookshelves and ambassadors were just annoying.

3rd LG section though i crushed. I finished that section 5 min early i even had time to check a few. I thought i killed the section and there would be a huge curve. As my luck usually goes though thats the expirememntal :x
Last edited by Mitterrand on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

leafs1990

New

Post by leafs1990 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:19 pm

[MOD EDIT; USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:41 pm

Last edited by xChiTowNx on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:42 pm

leafs1990 wrote:Long time lurker - first time poster.

Can someone please confirm...
Enjoy your ban.

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:14 pm

anewaphorist wrote:The breakdown of my LSAT, southeastern US, with my projections:

LG: ambassadors, books, probably -3/-4 total because I took way too long on the 3rd game (the one with Yuki and all the global CANNOT BE TRUE questions)
LR2: tough, had to guess on 2 questions, hopefully this was the experimental section
RC: pretty standard, -3 or less and I'll be happy, I had Mexican-American proverbs and Dostoevsky

there are two arrangements for the LR: one with 2 25Q section and one with 2 26Q section. depending on which one you had, u should figure out which one was ur exp section
Last edited by puff0ffluff on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puff0ffluff

New

Post by puff0ffluff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:16 pm

don't mind all the snarky people. think pyramid =)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:19 pm

same distribution, felt exactly the same as you. I thought all LRs were abnormally easy, RC was def easier than average (except maybe Dostoyevsky), and LG was tough because of game 3
anewaphorist wrote:The breakdown of my LSAT, southeastern US, with my projections:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:37 pm

wvuchip wrote:

Enjoy your ban.
Yep.

A whole mess of you will be taking vacations. And because so many of you seem to not give a shit about the repeated warnings posted all over this forum, I'm going to start upping the bans to a week.

Obelisk18

New

Post by Obelisk18 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:09 pm

Weird question but does anyone remember if there were two questions on the left side of the page on game 3, or just one? I ask, because I'm trying to remember how many I guessed on. I know I got to the 3rd question on the right side of the page before I ran into trouble. So I either got 3 definitely right and a fourth probably right (if there were two questions on the left-side of the page) or 2 definitely right and a 3rd probably right (if there was only question one on the left-side of the page.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Games 1/2/4 weren't too bad but I thought game 3 was both weird and hard. Thankfully managed to finish right before time was called but I definitely don't feel confident about it.

law_girl1

New

Post by law_girl1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:53 pm

Agree with everyone - 3rd game screwed me over, then I went on to mess up game 4 as well. This calls for a good curve...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wphr

New

Post by wphr » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:04 pm

LG was so hard! sorry about the bad post :c
Last edited by wphr on Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:54 pm

OK, which is it: are some of you guys illiterate, or do you just not give a flying fuck when we tell you not to discuss the specifics of the LSAT? This thread is getting locked if I have to ban anyone else.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:55 pm

aschup wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

Enjoy your ban.
Yep.

A whole mess of you will be taking vacations. And because so many of you seem to not give a shit about the repeated warnings posted all over this forum, I'm going to start upping the bans to a week.
aschup wrote:OK, which is it: are some of you guys illiterate, or do you just not give a flying fuck when we tell you not to discuss the specifics of the LSAT? This thread is getting locked if I have to ban anyone else.
:D :D :D

I tried to do my part, but many people seem to keep treating rules as merely being suggestions. :(

Here's a tribute to you aschup. 8)

--ImageRemoved--

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:A lot of outside US/Canada do non-disclosure test, meaning different version, and you won't know what you got right or wrong.
+1

It's likely because LSAC is aware of time-zone differences and doesn't want some test-takers giving others half-way around the world a heads-up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”